So what to do about Ram Boxes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

727Jay

Reaction score
For those of you suggesting to mount angle iron or something similar obviously haven't taken a look at the lids. That's not a feasible option without major modifications to the boxes themselves. Those of you saying you'd miss the bed space haven't had a truck with them. I used to think the same thing until I actually owned a truck with them. Sure, there are occasions where I might utilize that space, but I can load more firewood in my truck than it's capable of hauling. With very few exceptions you wouldn't miss the small amount of space you lose. And having the storage in the bed sides is priceless for me.

I've figured out how to adjust my own rambox lids so it's a non-issue for me now. I didn't like how the lids on my previous truck looked. I took it in and the dealer had me get an estimate from a body shop since no one there had any experience with them. The body shop quoted me almost $2k, and involved fiberglass and repainting the sides of my box along with the lids in order to blend the paint properly. No thank you. So I took a close look at how they are constructed. The painted section is actually just a garnish, and provides no real structure to the actual lid, which is the black plastic section the garnish mounts to. I removed the screws and enlarged the holes to get some adjustment, and I bought the special tool that's listed in the STAR publication (case number S1923000014 Rev C), that's used for adjusting the gaps. There are also rubber bumpers on each end to help make adjustments. Now my lids fit almost perfect. After about 30 minutes I was able to get them looking nearly perfect. I'm extremely happy with how it came out.

Striker adjustment tool. Mopar part 2069900230.
View attachment 463095

Remove these screws and enlarge the holes in the black plastic to increase the range of adjustment. Don't drill into the painted garnish. You'll want to pull the painted garnish up to clear the back of the holes. The amount of adjustment needed depends on how pushed in the garnish is.
View attachment 463094

Use an Allen wrench to adjust bumpers out if needed.
View attachment 463096

Sorry, no before pics. These are after adjusting them.
View attachment 463097

View attachment 463098

Derrickk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
They function just fine. The issues with the lid fitment are purely cosmetic. And most of the issues can be adjusted out, as I showed in an earlier post.
I just got a new Power Wagon with Ramboxes and like others the dealer is doing crap to fix/adjust the boxes so they sit right. After seeing your post, and an FCA doc I went to find the the adjustment tool, but can't find it anywhere...couple of places have it out of stock though. Where did you get yours? Any other ideas by chance?

Thanks for your post BTW, nice to know it is possible.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I (finally) responded to your PM. Unfortunately, the website I think I ordered mine from is also out of stock on these. But as your PW has 4th gen ramboxes, I'm not sure if this tool will even help you with your lid issues. I'm not familiar with the 4th gen rambox lid design since none of the 4th gens I have owned had that option. I seem to remember reading that the latches are adjustable on those though, unlike the 5th gen version.