SOLVED: Lift now a vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

tex68w

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I feel like I have tracked the noise/movement down to the steering and/or drag link. I can feel a slight pop in the drag link and steering box when the steering wheel is being rocked back and forth. I'm not sure if the knuckle in the steering shaft is bad, if the steering gear box has play, or if the drag link has a bad tie-rod end. It seems odd that there'd already be an issue in these parts with only 1300 miles on the clock but the lift definitely exposed whatever the issue is.

I've run out of ideas and things to investigate myself and I've called multiple shops as well as Thuren and CJC Off-Road and none of them have suggested anything beyond what I have already explored. I am considering taking it to the dealer in the morning and letting their main tech take a look at it as he drives the same truck and seemed very eager to talk about the truck the last time I was in there. Fingers crossed I can find the culprit and get this resolved as it consumes my attention every time I drive the truck.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The way you explain the noise, it really dosnt sound lift related to me at all.

Sounds silly, but i would consider popping the stock parts back in and see if you still have the noise/vibration. I have a feeling it isnt lift related. Lets be honest, is there really even a way for different/longer springs to make that noise, or different shocks? Even the track bar seems unlikely. I bet it was doing it with the stock parts, you just hadnt noticed it yet.

OP
OP
T

tex68w

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
The way you explain the noise, it really dosnt sound lift related to me at all.

Sounds silly, but i would consider popping the stock parts back in and see if you still have the noise/vibration. I have a feeling it isnt lift related. Lets be honest, is there really even a way for different/longer springs to make that noise, or different shocks? Even the track bar seems unlikely. I bet it was doing it with the stock parts, you just hadnt noticed it yet.

It most certainly wasn't doing it when stock, it was very apparent almost immediately when driving it away from the shop post lift install. The wheels and tires didn't go on for another 100 miles so those can be eliminated as well and the alignment was after the wheels and tires.

I trimmed the wheel well liners around the reservoirs thinking maybe they were vibrating against it and there was no change. I have checked everything, even the nitrogen charge in the shocks, it's still an unknown. I've called and talked to all of the major shops nationally and locally and none of them can come up with anything they'd look at beyond what we've already done.

I am close to taking it to the dealer in hopes of them finding something faulty in the driveline from the factory but based off of what we checked I can't see or feel it myself. It's frustrating because you can feel it and hear it and I can't help but be totally fixated on it every time I drive the truck. I know brand new trucks have been delivered with bad u-joints, ball-joints, tie-rod ends, drive shafts, etc. so I am not counting any of that out but I don't have much faith in a dealer admitting to any of that either.

OP
OP
T

tex68w

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Reservoir bracket meet turbo lol. I found the culprit, the bracket for the shock reservoir was bouncing off of the turbo, it makes total sense now why I was hearing it on that side and why it was amplified when turning to the left, when the axle would cycle and upon startup. Glad I found it when I did, it was already starting to mar up the housing. I'll get the bracket bent out a bit tomorrow for better clearance and get everything put back together.

Boy am I glad this is all over, I can finally stop losing sleep over it. Thanks to all those who chimed in with pointers and suggestions, this was an odd one for sure but in the end it's an easy fix.

st16QxN.jpg

3NGqjOj.jpg

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Reservoir bracket meet turbo lol. I found the culprit, the bracket for the shock reservoir was bouncing off of the turbo, it makes total sense now why I was hearing it on that side and why it was amplified when turning to the left, when the axle would cycle and upon startup. Glad I found it when I did, it was already starting to mar up the housing. I'll get the bracket bent out a bit tomorrow for better clearance and get everything put back together.

Boy am I glad this is all over, I can finally stop losing sleep over it. Thanks to all those who chimed in with pointers and suggestions, this was an odd one for sure but in the end it's an easy fix.

st16QxN.jpg

3NGqjOj.jpg

Well hell yea! Nice find!

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Sweet!!!! I’m glad you fixed it. The feeling of a vibration was never described as an audible sound. That may have been an issue to disclose

OP
OP
T

tex68w

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
It was audible and felt, I figured describing that it could be felt through the pedals and steering wheel was much more important than just being heard. Regardless, it's been discovered and rectified and now I know that I am not crazy and that there was an actual source lol.