Some General Towing Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

orin

Reaction score
Ram Year
'09 2500 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got a '09 2500 that I'll be using to tow an enclosed trailer up to AK. I've got a few general questions for folks with towing experience.

First, I am assuming that the factory hitch is a class IV, but I couldn't find any markings or stickers on it to confirm this. Checking the ramtrucks.com website with my VIN says the tow capacity is 8800 lbs, which seems to rule out class III. Anyone have thoughts or know another way to confirm the hitch class or capacity?

Second, I'm wondering about a weight distribution hitch. The enclosed trailer (6x12 or 7x14 dual axle) could weigh up to 7000 lbs fully loaded, we're moving and don't really know the exact weight of our stuff yet. And if weights work out there will be at least some stuff in the bed too. Not sure if this is enough weight to require a WD hitch or not.

Ultimately, before making the long trip up I will be hitting the scales to make sure things are looking good as far as tongue weight and axle loads. Which actually reminds me of one other thing, I didn't find a GCWR anywhere, only the max tow capacity and the GVWR. Anyone know where I could find the GCWR?

Appreciate the thoughts, just trying to get a close as possible to getting it right the first time around!

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Hitch is class IV.

GCWR is 15000.

This based on the info you gave.

I am guessing a quad cab short bed with 4x4 and 3.73 rear end.20200213_120458.jpg

Last edited:

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
In the manual it says weight Distribution hitch with trailer over 500/5000lbs.

But, some will say it isn't needed. With the expense of one, it would be something I would think about either way. If you have it use it. If you don't, I would check the scale first.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Be sure to notice...that when they figure max trailer they are only adding 150lbs for the driver. Everything in your truck over 150lbs (including your own weight over or under 150) will take away from the 8800

OP
OP
orin

orin

Reaction score
Ram Year
'09 2500 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you very much for the help! If you don't mind my asking, where did you get that table?

I tried finding information about the weight distribution hitch in my owner's manual but I must have missed it somewhere. I don't have one yet, so I think I'll check the scale first.

I think I have a pretty good grip on how to use the various limits; GVWR, GAWR, and GCWR to keep things safe. Thanks again!