Some observations on my new 2020 Ram vs. my 2013 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Walter Conrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020, 2013, 2003, 1997
Engine
6.7CTD, 5.7Hemi x 2, 5.2 Magnum
So I finally got a long road trip under my belt (2300 miles) with my new 2020 Ram Bighorn SO 6.7 Cummins, CC, LB, DRW, 4:10 axle pulling my 15000lb 5th wheel. I would like to compare it to my experience with my old truck which was a 2013 Ram 3500 SLT 5.7 Hemi CC, LB, SRW, 4:10 axle pulling the same trailer with basically the same weight (about 1000lbs. lighter).

My travels take me from N.E. Ohio to Shipshewana Indiana, back into Ohio, through the hills of West Virginia where we encounter 2- 6% grades which are about 4-5 miles long, then south to Arcadia Florida. I have done this route 12 times in the 2013 Ram, this was the first of hopefully many in the 2020.

My first observation was how much nicer the ride quality of the 2020 is compared to the 2013 when loaded, the 2020 was a pleasure to pilot smooth and quiet. While the 2013 was a nice rider there was simply no comparison. There was a slight disappointment with the 2020, I thought that there would be a bigger difference in acceleration from a standing stop. With the extra 440 lb. ft. of torque, I was expecting some better 0-60 times, I was mistaken. That being said pulling the 6% grades in WVA was effortless @ 1700rpm. The Hemi would do it also without hesitation but with protest @4200rpm. I should also note the the Cummins rpm rarely varied from 1700 whatever the condition, the Hemi however liked to cruise around 2100 rpm but any variation in terrain came with an upshift and rpm change. both engines are quiet.

Here are some figures I observed;

2020 2013
Coolant temp average 194 202
Trans temp average 170 186
Engine oil temp average 190 204
Engine oil pressure 50 51
MPG average entire trip 10.8 8.5
MPG through the mountains 5.5 3.0
DEF MPG 420.0 N/A

While the overall fuel consumption for the 2020 was less than the 2013 the actual cost of fuel was less for the 2013, and the cost for DEF for the 2020 added yet another expense. I suspect the fuel mileage will increase as the engine "breaks in".

The biggest surprise in my overall driving experience this trip came from the use of the exhaust brake.
OMG!!! In tow/haul mode with the exhaust brake set to automatic and the cruise control set to 55, the exhaust brake would hold the truck/trailer combo to 56mph coming down those 6% grades in WVA. For those that have not experienced this, it is a big stress reliever while driving being able to keep you downhill speeds in check.

Let's just say I am REALLY PLEASED.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Glad you like your Cummins. The mileage will improve as you get some miles on the truck.

That auto exhaust brake/cruise control/tow haul mode system is slick!

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The exhaust brake is the best thing since sliced bread. I would never tow again w/o it. Our fifth wheel is a bout at 15k, as well and having that push down a hill is effortless, and stress free with the EB.

BubbaJo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
you should try it with a smaller trailer lol. My 12 hauls our little 4200-4500lb camper like it's nothing. With the exhaust brake/Tow Haul modes on, i have to actually use the accelerator to get to the end of the exit ramps lol. It's even funnier when i have the even smaller landscape trailer behind me lol.

The more towing you do with your new cummins, the more and more you will think to yourself "why did i ever tow with a gasser?"

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So you were comparing a Hemi to a Cummins? They aren’t in the same zip code. Totally different engines, totally different riding, totally different way they each make power.

But I’m glad you like the Cummins power and the exhaust brake is icing on the cake.

OP
OP
Walter Conrad

Walter Conrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020, 2013, 2003, 1997
Engine
6.7CTD, 5.7Hemi x 2, 5.2 Magnum
So you were comparing a Hemi to a Cummins? They aren’t in the same zip code. Totally different engines, totally different riding, totally different way they each make power.

But I’m glad you like the Cummins power and the exhaust brake is icing on the cake.

Maybe I wasn't clear. but yes I was comparing 2 totally different trucks with MY initial observed similarities and differences,
AGAINST MY expectations and disappointments not yours. As far as the trucks in question, their capabilities to do work are in the same zip code both 5 and 9 digit
they just go about their duties at a different pace. For what I need a truck to do (not what you need), neither truck has an huge advantage over the other with the exception of the exhaust brake and while it is a great feature of a Cummins, I do not feel it is worth the $10,000.00 option to obtain it.
While I am pleased with the overall functioning of my new truck on it's maiden voyage, I was never displeased with any of my older "Hemi" engine trucks to perform the same duties. My older trucks are all in the history books and my opinions and the facts of those particular trucks will never change, but as time passes and miles are accrued on the new truck my opinion of it may. Right now just the cost of fuel and DEF along with the cost of normal maintenance is not going to be a plus.

Hasek

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As a truck driver that jake brake is the only thing i miss when i get into my Ram.

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I have a 2018 and I am not sure I could ever tow again without an exhaust brake. Not just for the mountains but for so many highway ramps that drop off a steep hill.