Someone Please Help!!! Squealing Noise From Bell Housing Area.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoparLifer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I hope someone can help. Newbie here.
2014 Ram 1500 Express Regular Cab 5.7L 71,000 miles. 6 Speed Automatic Transmission.
I have a high pitch, somewhat rhythmic, metallic squeal that started this morning. Checked belt, idlers, alternator and water pump for bearing failure...none of these are the issue. Decided its coming from under truck. Very annoying metallic squeal that somewhat fades with increased RPM but frequency of squeal increases with RPM. Does not make noise till engine warms up. When I turn engine off and crankshaft stops....whatever it is still turns for about one second after crank stops rotating.
Put truck up on ramps and started listening under truck with stethoscope. After 5 mins of probing around the back of engine I found it! Placed stethoscope rod next to bellhousing weep hole and thats where I heard it loud and clear.
Something is rubbing, metal on metal, inside of the bellhousing. Kind of sounds like the squeal a brake-wear indicator might make. Flywheel bolts? Torque Converter? Transmission Pump?
Has anyone ever experienced or heard of this? I did note the presence of small amount of smokey-gray dust (may be metallic dust) around the bellhousing weep hole. Dust may have been there long before noise started...just dont know when that appeared.

Its not a steel on aluminum grind. Its not a knocking squeal, its a continuous radial squeal It sounds like a steel on steel light rub...just like a brake wear indicator inside bellhousing!
Please Help!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MoparLifer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Update...
Dropped bellhousing bracket/dust cover and found no evidence of anything rubbing. Engine oil looks clean. Transmission fluid looks nice and red (happy for that) Noise is very profound when cover bracket is removed from bellhousing and absolutely pinpointed the area where squealing is coming from with engine idling. I believe noise is internal (torque converter, pump, or god forbid a rear main bearing!) but Trans fluid looks great...engine oil looks great...Very Stumped! Please help.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Any of you have the ability to post videos of your problem? I'm trying to understand what sounds your trucks are making.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In the past, I've had the flywheel have hairline cracks in it and would make all kinds of noise when increasing engine rpm, from the flywheel flexing, go rent a bore scope and take the inspection cover off and have a look see.

DWRAM2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hope someone can help. Newbie here.
2014 Ram 1500 Express Regular Cab 5.7L 71,000 miles. 6 Speed Automatic Transmission.
I have a high pitch, somewhat rhythmic, metallic squeal that started this morning. Checked belt, idlers, alternator and water pump for bearing failure...none of these are the issue. Decided its coming from under truck. Very annoying metallic squeal that somewhat fades with increased RPM but frequency of squeal increases with RPM. Does not make noise till engine warms up. When I turn engine off and crankshaft stops....whatever it is still turns for about one second after crank stops rotating.
Put truck up on ramps and started listening under truck with stethoscope. After 5 mins of probing around the back of engine I found it! Placed stethoscope rod next to bellhousing weep hole and thats where I heard it loud and clear.
Something is rubbing, metal on metal, inside of the bellhousing. Kind of sounds like the squeal a brake-wear indicator might make. Flywheel bolts? Torque Converter? Transmission Pump?
Has anyone ever experienced or heard of this? I did note the presence of small amount of smokey-gray dust (may be metallic dust) around the bellhousing weep hole. Dust may have been there long before noise started...just dont know when that appeared.

Its not a steel on aluminum grind. Its not a knocking squeal, its a continuous radial squeal It sounds like a steel on steel light rub...just like a brake wear indicator inside bellhousing!
Please Help!
My 2019 ram 1500 is making the same noise, did you find out whats going on ? I have 66000 miles and it started about a week ago.......

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
is the dust metal? check the starter houseing bendex something could be dragging their not many things inside the bell housing that spin .and if it keeps making noise after the crank stops it is something that spins on its own to like a starter

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Update...
Dropped bellhousing bracket/dust cover and found no evidence of anything rubbing. Engine oil looks clean. Transmission fluid looks nice and red (happy for that) Noise is very profound when cover bracket is removed from bellhousing and absolutely pinpointed the area where squealing is coming from with engine idling. I believe noise is internal (torque converter, pump, or god forbid a rear main bearing!) but Trans fluid looks great...engine oil looks great...Very Stumped! Please help.
update???????

DWRAM2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have pinned pointed the noise to front of transmission, heat related and is a rotation noise , 1 to 2 seconds after ignition is shut off. It doesn’t make any sequel until transmission it at operating temperature. ?

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Subscribing as I am now intrigued

weiser1972

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
have the same problem. Did the Torque converter stop the noise??