Something rolling around when stopping and going

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I apologize if this was posted already, I tried to search but came up with nothing. I have a 2016 1500 Sport and about a week ago I started hearing what sounds like something moving around when I'm driving slowly (ex. through a parking lot). It does it once when I speed up a little, then when I apply the brakes it will move forward again. It is making this sound somewhere along the bottom corner by the doors on the passenger side (unsure if front or back door area). So far to try and solve the issue I have taken the front passenger door panel off, taken everything off the floor, and under the seat. Other than taking off the rear panel, I'm at a loss as to what to look at next.

What it sound like to me is on older vehicles there are metal rods that connect to the door handles which in turn pull open the latch so you can open and close the door. It sounds like that metal rod hanging and when I apply the brakes it swings forward, then back when I hit the gas. If that makes sense.

Has anyone had this happen before? It is really annoying.

Thanks in advance.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I had a buddy toss a golf ball in the bed of my truck once and it took a few starts and stops to figure out where the hell that damn noise was coming from. Good luck.

OP
OP
Bent

Bent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had a buddy toss a golf ball in the bed of my truck once and it took a few starts and stops to figure out where the hell that damn noise was coming from. Good luck.

unfortunately for me it's not that easy. I have absolutely nothing in the back of my truck. Plus it only sounds like it's rolling or moving a couple inches forwards and back.

Donutsahoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Have you checked to make sure your spare is secure? Sometimes it’ll loosen up and cause some noise.

Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had a similar issue, every time I either accelerated or braked I could hear something roll and clunk. Drove me crazy for about two weeks then I remembered ... I dropped a peanut M&M and sure enough it went into the floor console side pocket!

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Do you have running boards? I know the box frame is enclosed on the sides, but the bolts that hold the running boards go right through it and there are some nutzerts that go through the frame. I'm not clear from your description if you mean a metallic rolling sound or just a clunk when you change directions. Might be a U-joint? I see you do have running boards. Are there any openings that stones or debris could get into? If you thump on them do you hear anything rattle? Also if you swing the front and back door open and closed does that cause the noise also?

OP
OP
Bent

Bent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Do you have running boards? I know the box frame is enclosed on the sides, but the bolts that hold the running boards go right through it and there are some nutzerts that go through the frame. I'm not clear from your description if you mean a metallic rolling sound or just a clunk when you change directions. Might be a U-joint? I see you do have running boards. Are there any openings that stones or debris could get into? If you thump on them do you hear anything rattle? Also if you swing the front and back door open and closed does that cause the noise also?

I tried swinging the doors and there was absolutely no noise. I have not thought to try kicking the running boards, I will try that the next time I am out at the truck. I would have a hard time believing anything mechanical is wrong.

I just did some work on the truck and did a quick clean of the back and found something that could very possibly be the culprit (except I have my doubts since I don't think it was actually rolling around). I found a large marble/ball bearing chilling inside the little pocket where the passenger seat bolts to the truck!

20190507_150021.jpg

OP
OP
Bent

Bent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Have you checked to make sure your spare is secure? Sometimes it’ll loosen up and cause some noise.

Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not checked that yet. I will make sure to the next time I am out at the truck

rexdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Do you have the floor beer cooler deals in the floor of the back seat? Maybe something in there?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bent

Bent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Do you have the floor beer cooler deals in the floor of the back seat? Maybe something in there?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
No unfortunately I don't. Although I did the folding rear seat mod and cleaned up a bit the other day and I haven't heard it since. Although I didn't find anything that would have made sense to be making that noise. Fingers crossed it doesn't come back

movinonca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have the exact same noise and i thought it was my cleaners moving around in the toolbox under the seat. I removed everything and put a towel down and the noise is still there.:( This has only started about a month ago so i'm at a loss too. Gremlins i guess!

glwhitetail

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LOL i had the same problem, found out my kids put a marble in the back two door panel pockets. Drove me crazy!

kiloRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Had a similar noise and finally found a M&M in the console side pocket (wife's side). Drove me batshi* crazy until I found it.

Good luck. Hope you find out what it is.

OP
OP
Bent

Bent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Had a similar noise and finally found a M&M in the console side pocket (wife's side). Drove me batshi* crazy until I found it.

Good luck. Hope you find out what it is.

haha that's funny! Yea i found a fairly large ball bearing (about the size of a quarter) that was sitting inside the little "cup" where the passenger seat bolts to the body but I don't see how it would have been making the noise that I was hearing. Anyways, I did the folding rear seat mod, threw away the ball bearing and then the noise was gone.

Chainsaw_Monday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Hello!

I have searched high and low for a post like this to confirm that I've not been losing my mind lol. I have a 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, and have the exact same issue that the OP described. When starting to roll or coming to a stop, or taking a turn, it literally sounds like something is "rolling" in the back passenger area. I have nothing on the floor or in the door pockets, and nothing in the bed of the truck that could be transferring sound into the interior. I'm 100% convinced there is something physical rolling around inside the truck, but I can not find anything to save my life. The fact that you found a huge ball bearing gives me hope.

To the OP Brent, if you see this, would you be willing to describe to me in further detail on exactly where you found that bearing? I have the flip up rear seats, and there are recesses underneath each seat, but they're empty. Is there another location you recommend I check?