Sonnax CHR145 and Grey Connector Solenoid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScubaSteve178

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I am looking to see if anyone has installed the Sonnax CHR145 universal valve body in their 68 or 66 RFE using the original grey connector solenoid pack, if the truck is 2011+?

The CHR145 is the same unit as the CHR146, but sold without the solenoid pack. The 146 includes a white connector solenoid pack used with valve bodies with the 7 check balls. The 145 and 146 are both identical 7 check ball units, but the Sonnax literature states the 145 can be used with any color pack with no additional changes.

Conventional wisdom says that the grey pack cannot be used on a typical 7 ball valve body due to the lack of an OD solenoid, but the white connector can be used in all cases.

Long story short, I had some issues with my 145 SKU a while back on install, resulting in limp mode with a P0871 code for OD pressure fault. I am trying to determine if they’re incorrect in saying any pack can be used or if I just had a defective unit.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Been posted 100 times here, if you have a 7 check ball separator plate you cannot go wrong with a white solenoid pack. The 2011 has a 5 ball, so if you used that grey solenoid pack from a 2011, it is at least possible it wont work, but if you use the white one, it will work assuming there is no issue. Sounds like you already know that, once you go white, you never go back :)

OP
OP
ScubaSteve178

ScubaSteve178

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
To be clear, what you mentioned, I do understand.

My question pertains specifically to the Sonnax remanned valve bodies, as they are 7 ball units that have various internal modifications, and Sonnax states that they can be used with grey, black AND white solenoid packs. I want to verify that this is or isn’t true, and am asking for those with 2011+ trucks to confirm if they have used their original grey connector solenoid pack in conjunction with the Sonnax VB.

What they state goes against the conventional wisdom that grey packs can’t be used with 7 ball VB’s, unless they have done something internally to allow for it. I have contacted Sonnax, but they have not been able/willing to verify this. Sometimes manufacturers get it wrong, and in Sonnax’s own paperwork they list multiple torque specs for the same hardware in the same application, so typos and misinformation occur from time to time.

I hope that makes it more clear. My goal is to not trial and error my way into knowing if I ultimately need to spend the extra money on a white pack. I already installed my grey pack on a CHR145, installed 3 times and trouble shot before putting the stock VB back in, and never received any confirmation that the VB was or was not defective.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I know I got you, I was just verifying what you seemed to know, sorry not more help. Seems like you should address those q's to sonnax, it sounds like they just have bad info up on that.

This is on their install pdf, which I don't understand if the first is true why add the note about white solenoid? Confusing from the people who sell it, bummer.

This valve body will work with any solenoid pack, black connector, white connector or grey connector. If you are installing the black connector pack you will need to install the striker plate from your valve body. Sonnax recommends the white connector solenoid pack as it is universal.

OP
OP
ScubaSteve178

ScubaSteve178

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I know I got you, I was just verifying what you seemed to know, sorry not more help. Seems like you should address those q's to sonnax, it sounds like they just have bad info up on that.

This is on their install pdf, which I don't understand if the first is true why add the note about white solenoid? Confusing from the people who sell it, bummer.

This valve body will work with any solenoid pack, black connector, white connector or grey connector. If you are installing the black connector pack you will need to install the striker plate from your valve body. Sonnax recommends the white connector solenoid pack as it is universal.

Right? Why recommend the white one if any work? Just use the one correct for the year and trans you have if they all work.

But alas, I have contacted Sonnax many times between this current curiosity and back when I was having issues with their VB initially. Unfortunately, Sonnax’s tech support is not much tech or support. Mostly just a talking head that will tell you “I don’t know,” or “I would have to look into that,” without ever looking into it. The less than a handful of people they seem to have (I have spoken to the same 2 guys each time over the course of 5 or so calls). They couldn’t even verify the torque spec for the hardware holding the channel plate to the VB…I ended up assuming it was to be the same as the 52 or 53in-lb (both numbers are listed) they specify for the solenoid, and NONE of it was torqued to even 40in-lb. For note, all other sources I can find for other manufacturers specify a slightly different spec, but ALL are consistent between channel plate hardware and solenoid hardware.

I refuse to believe Sonnax is junk- they have always been a respected name as far as I know. I either got a Friday VB or the grey pack doesn’t work…or both? Who knows…

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
@ScubaSteve178 yours is certainly not a confidence builder for Sonnax, but even other VB rebuilders use Sonnax components, so???
Summit Racing carries Sonnax VB as well, and they don't usually carry junk.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My guess it isnt junk, but bad knowledge that rfe valve bodies with 7 checkballs need a white solenoid pack. To be honest after looking it up I might go in this direction, and now I know to get the solenoid with the vb. It's like 600 bucks for the vb and sp, not that bad.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yup - I plan to get the entire assembly.

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I definitely should of got the whole assembly. Maybe then I'd have reverse. @Burla knows what im talking bout.

OP
OP
ScubaSteve178

ScubaSteve178

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I definitely should of got the whole assembly. Maybe then I'd have reverse. @Burla knows what im talking bout.

I don’t. Care to elaborate or link a thread? I’m a little hesitant to buy another VB from them because I hate doing rework.

That said, tech support did mention they had had some reports of the OD shift circuit valve sticking, which I suppose could have been my issue. But at this point, how do I know I won’t have the issue again?

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don’t. Care to elaborate or link a thread? I’m a little hesitant to buy another VB from them because I hate doing rework.

That said, tech support did mention they had had some reports of the OD shift circuit valve sticking, which I suppose could have been my issue. But at this point, how do I know I won’t have the issue again?
I recently installed the sonnax accumulator pistons and transgo shift kit myself. What I should have done is buy the built VB like you mentioned above but because I didn't, I now don't have reverse. Tried to be cheap and upgrade myself when I don't know much about the damn thing in the first place. Live and learn. But on the bright side driving forward has never felt so good. Wish I could help you. Good luck.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I recently installed the sonnax accumulator pistons and transgo shift kit myself. What I should have done is buy the built VB like you mentioned above but because I didn't, I now don't have reverse. Tried to be cheap and upgrade myself when I don't know much about the damn thing in the first place. Live and learn. But on the bright side driving forward has never felt so good. Wish I could help you. Good luck.
What ended up being the fix?