Sound deadening cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Perferd

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
How much do you think a sound deadening job should cost?

For example good better best (feel free to fix the examples though lol)

I assume a Good being at least the doors front and rear. For a Better job I assume adding something like the dash center console or what not. As for Best I assume something like adding the floor, roof, and the back wall. I really don't know what exactly gets sound deadend so I'm sort of guessing lol.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most of it is going to be labor if you're hiring it out.

If you DIY, Noico is pretty affordable - any time I have a "new" (haven't opened it yet..) interior panel apart on any of my vehicles for some maintenance job like replacing a door lock actuator or installing a rear view camera or anything like that I throw in some deadener. The low hanging fruit is pretty simple, you just thump on panels with a finger and if they sound like a drum you clean them and stick some deadener down. Any big piece of sheet metal that isn't heavily creased or hydroformed is an obvious candidate.

The parts a novice is likely to mess up has more to do with careless (or inexperienced) disassembly of the interior panels or neglecting to replace or re-affix any fasteners that might die in the process.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Depends on how crazy you want to go.

I did a single layer of 80mil KillMat, whole floor and rear wall and up the firewall as far as I could. Then each door skin, and door panel. I think it took 6 boxes @ $60 a box. (I have two more boxes sitting in the garage for when I decide I want to drop the headliner)

There is a really good thread here where a guy did multiple types of mat and foam for an audiophile build and it was nuts!

The deadening I did changed the truck completely, made it feel like a luxury car. Very quiet inside, almost no road noise even with my AT tires and loud exhaust and zero rattles.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I’m doing some of this myself on another project vehicle. I’m using quality materials (Dynamat) but not a lot of it. My opinion after watching a lot of installation videos and testing is that blanketing entire areas as you often see is way past the point of diminishing return. There’s a demo vid where a 4” or so square is stuck on a cymbal and it kills the sound.

So I’m just treating the easy to reach flat surfaces that sound tinny. I can tell a difference.

OP
OP
P

Perferd

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Are we talking like $500 for doors $1k for doors plus and then $2k for full on everything? If a shop did it...

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh man I don't even want to know what a shop will charge. Removal and reinstallation of door panels or carpet and seats is going to cost a few hundred dollars alone. That is not even the installation of the deadening material.

I'd guess $1000 and up for even basic sound deadening install at a shop. Have you gotten any quotes yet?

OP
OP
P

Perferd

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Oh man I don't even want to know what a shop will charge. Removal and reinstallation of door panels or carpet and seats is going to cost a few hundred dollars alone. That is not even the installation of the deadening material.

I'd guess $1000 and up for even basic sound deadening install at a shop. Have you gotten any quotes yet?

No that's why I'm asking. I'd rather have some sort of ballpark beforehand.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is the sort of thing I've always done myself. Just because of labor and the liability they face on consumables (if they break some of the clips that hold the panels together, they have to fix that... etc) and all that I'd expect something like $400 to do a pair of doors. Almost all of which would be labor/overhead/liability costs and very little of which would be the material itself. That isn't to say it would be a rip off, just that the labor aspect of most jobs is the largest expense by the nature of doing business.

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The sound deadener stuff most people use, is actually designed for panel resonance, not to block sound. If you use enough, it does block some sound, but something like mass loaded vinyl is what you want to block sound transmission.

Brent Cox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would not recommend anything asphalt based like Peal and Seal. Use something meant for vehicles that is butyl based.