Sound deadening

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djh1040

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So I’m putting two 10 inch subs and I wanted to install some sound deadening material. My truck is lifted 6 inches on 35 inch mud terrains. I was hoping to get less road noise and make the sub sound a little better. What type of sound deadening material do y’all recommend? I plan on putting it in all the doors and the behind the back seats. Thanks in advance

OP
OP
djh1040

djh1040

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Oh ok sounds good thank you sir. Was there any reason you went with the 80ml over the 100 ml?

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I used Stinger Roadkill on my 2014, worked out well.

Bingo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Quad Cab Sport
I used KilMat 80 with great results.
Can i ask, 36fq ft was that just the doors or did you do the floor and back of cab aswell?

*Edit that i just looked at kilmats site and they estimate 36sq ft to cover the doors and similar amount for floor and if you're feeling really energetic 15 for the roof* Not sure i'd want to take the roof lining down

Last edited:

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Doors and floors and cab back will do the most good.

And most of the benefits are achieved by covering the first third or so of any panel section. Covering the section corner to corner and careful seaming etc will bring diminishing returns.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Butyl sound "deadener" only deadens the sound level but doesn't absorb or block sound. Deadener work well for resonance frequencies on larger areas that aren't reinforced. 30% coverage makes 90% of the gain and the rest is mostly a waste. However for sound blocking you need 100% coverage. This requires mutliple layers, deadener, usually a foam blocker/absorber and then something like mass loaded heavy vinyl. The mass loaded vinyl is HEAVY and does most of the sound blocking, the deadener and foam kinda just help with the resonate frequencies and muffling/reducing the sound before the mass loaded vinyl. Foam also does great with insulating and blocking heat transmission.

I've had decent success with multi layered products like Siless 2in1 and 3in1. Unfortunately they are made in the Ukraine so its hard to get. I had zero insulation in a 87 firebird which has a turbocharged LS and large 4" exhaust so the car is not quiet and has a race suspension. On the street you hear everything and heat in the summer is brutal. I used the 3in1 product which is .050" butyl, 1/8" foam and another 1/8" or so of heavier foam with foil on top (basically 1/4" thick). I covered basically 100% of the firewall back to the trunk and then replaced the carpet with one that had mass loaded vinyl as part of the whole bottom of the carpet ($500 carpet). I got 2 boxes of 36sqft of the 3in1 and used about 3/4 of it. The difference was very noticeable sound and heat and worth every penny. I also tape my edges with fiberglass foil heat tape on this car bc of the heat from the exhaust and proximity to the floor pan.

On my 2018 CC Laramie I opted for the 2in1 which is .050" butyl and 3/16" foam (couldn't get the 3in1 due to the Ukraine war). I was getting resonance from the catback exhaust. So I yanked the rear seat and pulled the carpet up from the storage bins back up the rear cab wall. Covered almost 100% with the 2in1 and put it all back. I also have the stock Apline sound system with JBL speakers, Pioneer shallow sub in the stock box and I built a custom fiberglass box for under the pass rear seat and have a kicker 8" shallow sub with an apline 300w amp. The 2in1 did deaden the resonance a good bit and I plan to the rear floor and rear doors in the future. The difference wasn't as dramatic as the firebird but thats because the vehicles are much different in sound and ride quality. basically what I'm saying is just doing the butyl will make a noticeable difference but if your going to do it I would opt for more than just the butyl. Adding a layer of NEMCO foam deadener off amazon would help further or going with mass loaded vinyl for even more sound blocking power. Mass loaded vinyl can be $$ though! I used a dB meter app on my phone to verify my findings. I also believe it helped with my sound system getting a better deeper bass which is hard with the smaller 8" subs. I heard doing the doors makes a big difference so this spring/summer I want to try to attempt that.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Took the back seat out to the steel wall to put a K9 bench in.Used MLV..after kilt 80 then a 1/2 layer of foam and finally the vinyl surface for the dogs vs carpet so it was easy to clean..so you would probably go with your OEM carpet. Also did floor and rear doors..soooooo quiet..little road noise...got all materials from Secondskin Audio...great support to deal with.

cam101

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have Hushmat

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members