Sounds like wheel hub assembly but no and can’t find what it is

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisRoden

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys - maybe someone out there can figure this out as we sure can’t- truck makes exact same sound as wheel hub bearing going bad - it changes with speed as gets louder and don’t make no difference if turn left or right or under power or coasting.

recent replaced parts yesterday was right side Front needle bearing, stub axle and bearing, seal, cv joint and On left side or drivers side replace stub shaft, bearing, seal, cv joint and no change .

replaced upper and lower control arms in feb 2020 and differential fluid front and rear and in transfer case. Replaced all u joints. Replaced rear seal on differential at pinion after seen 3 drops fluid Last fall,

Replaced sway bar links and bushings and calipers in front and replaced both side hub bearing twice last fall - Once in sept and second time in oct with timkens second time

still got this humming

if put rear end up on jack stands and chalk front wheels and run in 2 wheel drive up to 80 km - no noise

nothing leaking and everything feels good of what is left up front to replace- switching wheel front to rear makes no difference and taking front drive shaft off and driving truck makes no difference. Running truck park doesn’t make sound so not engine related

easy to see why we stumped lol

hope someone smarter then we are as about to give up on her owners her since new and got 177000 km and this him only trouble I ever had except for brakes and wipers but keep maintenance and undercoat it twice yr

thanks for any ideas

chris

audiowize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
You'll probably need to get the truck on a lift so you can put it in 4WD and run it up to speed to see what might be making the noise.

Another step you could possible take would be to pull the CV shafts and the front driveshaft. That would remove a decent number of front end components that can get noisy.

OP
OP
C

ChrisRoden

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep I think I got get it up on lift and see what doing it - had front drive shaft out and ran 3 days and made no difference - makes no difference when in 4x4 or not once driveshaft put back on

just replaced all stub shaft, bearings and cv joints both sides yesterday and exact same sound

I did notice that it does change in pitch as in gets less loud when going over bumps that makes while truck articulate / like going over speed bump but less severe and on highway - maybe it’s in the driveshaft where connects to transmission as that slides in and out as truck articulated or the strut assemblies - all guess - gonna get up on lift one day this weekend and see

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Have you tried rotating the tires front to back, see if the noise moves with the tires?

Never mind - reread your post and must have missed it the first time, see you already tried it

audiowize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
Yep I think I got get it up on lift and see what doing it - had front drive shaft out and ran 3 days and made no difference - makes no difference when in 4x4 or not once driveshaft put back on
Pull the CV shafts (leave the stubs in obviously) and drive around.

Noleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like the hubs to me. From your post, I can’t tell if you changed them or not. If it’s not the hubs, you may have a bad caliper and you’re dragging a brake pad. Just spitballing

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi guys - maybe someone out there can figure this out as we sure can’t- truck makes exact same sound as wheel hub bearing going bad - it changes with speed as gets louder and don’t make no difference if turn left or right or under power or coasting.

recent replaced parts yesterday was right side Front needle bearing, stub axle and bearing, seal, cv joint and On left side or drivers side replace stub shaft, bearing, seal, cv joint and no change .

replaced upper and lower control arms in feb 2020 and differential fluid front and rear and in transfer case. Replaced all u joints. Replaced rear seal on differential at pinion after seen 3 drops fluid Last fall,

Replaced sway bar links and bushings and calipers in front and replaced both side hub bearing twice last fall - Once in sept and second time in oct with timkens second time

still got this humming

if put rear end up on jack stands and chalk front wheels and run in 2 wheel drive up to 80 km - no noise

nothing leaking and everything feels good of what is left up front to replace- switching wheel front to rear makes no difference and taking front drive shaft off and driving truck makes no difference. Running truck park doesn’t make sound so not engine related

easy to see why we stumped lol

hope someone smarter then we are as about to give up on her owners her since new and got 177000 km and this him only trouble I ever had except for brakes and wipers but keep maintenance and undercoat it twice yr

thanks for any ideas

chris
Just went back and read your post again. You said you replaced the right front hub bearing. Are you sure the left front hub bearing is not the one making the noise? I have seen it too many times with hub bearings where the noise appears to be coming from one side and it is actually the opposite.

The only other thing that makes sense is a failed/worn bearing in the front diff or a gear noise in the front diff. Turning doesn't change the noise. Removal of the front drive shaft doesn't change the noise. 4WD vs. 2WD no noise. There are only so many things that can cause the noise.

No need for a lift really. Four jack stands will do the trick. Get all four wheels off of the ground and run the truck in 4WD to determine the location of the noise. Have an assistant drive the truck on the jack stands while you listen.

OP
OP
C

ChrisRoden

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for input - I replaced both front wheel hub assemblies twice - once with cheaper ones - no change so then 3 weeks or so latter I upgraded both front wheel hub assemblies to timken - supposed to be better - no change

I going to use your advise and put her up on jack stands and run it in 4 wheel drive and put long screwdriver on different areas to see if I can hear where it coming from - one good side is truck becoming “newer” lol as I keep going - soon have new front end

let u know what I find but be couple weeks as work crazy now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01