Spare tire after 35's or bigger?

What would you do with your spare

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I crawled under the truck and looked the other day and without removing the heat shields, I don't think I could even get a 33" tire under there, and then would the exhaust heat actually damage the tire. One would assume it would since they added the shields for the factory donut tire.

So what do you do with the original spare tire under the rear of the bed when you go to 35's or bigger in tire size? Now mind you I have a truck Cap from Leer coming so I can use the bed area for other stuff, And I don't want to be removing that tire in and out all the time.

I put a poll together for fun, but I'd love to hear any ideas.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just put my spare 35" tire where the tire belongs in the spare tire location...

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
My 2021 Ram 3500 comes with 33" tires on it, and so is the spare. Looks to me like a 35" would squeeze up in there.

OP
OP
Anthony Bulger
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well then, I guess when I looked I looked wrong. LOL wouldn't be the first time in my life. Honestly for whatever reason I just didn't think it would fit. Maybe it does. That would be nice.

I assume yours also has the heat shields for the exhaust?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
removed the spare and carrier, and put new 35" spear in the bed with a lock.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I bought 35" tires including one for the spare.
Wish I'd saved my money.
The 35" spare won't even begin to fit back up there on my PW.
I'm going to put the 33" Duratrac back on the spare rim so I can get it back where it belongs.
I'd rather have a 33" spare in it's spot than a 35" spare in the garage cause it takes up too much room in the bed to just carry around.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought 35" tires including one for the spare.
Wish I'd saved my money.
The 35" spare won't even begin to fit back up there on my PW.
I'm going to put the 33" Duratrac back on the spare rim so I can get it back where it belongs.
I'd rather have a 33" spare in it's spot than a 35" spare in the garage cause it takes up too much room in the bed to just carry around.

Hmmmm

many people have fit a 35” tire in the spare location. Including the guy in the post above with pics.

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have personally put two of the bigger 35’s up there on two different 2020 power wagons a toyo rt and and a nitto ridge grappler. It is all about the technique. It takes effort but they will fit most people give up before they pop up in place

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I must have forgot the vaseline...
I tried for over an hour and only ended up tired , sore and irritated.
Chances are if I ever need my spare I'm going to start out that way so a tire that is that hard to get in or out probably isn't the best option.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i don't bother with spares anymore.now it's a plug kit and an air compressor.if you own a side by side you know what i'm saying.you get really good at plugging holes.the spares in my trucks are a very last resort to get me out to a road where roadside assistance takes over when the hole is just unpluggable.(dura tracs)

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I must have forgot the vaseline...
I tried for over an hour and only ended up tired , sore and irritated.
Chances are if I ever need my spare I'm going to start out that way so a tire that is that hard to get in or out probably isn't the best option.
crazy enough they come out easier than they go in. I was worried about that so I made sure it would come back out again. I use fluid film on the heatshield and the back of the receiver to help it slide in. for the record I am a 62 yoa broken down drunk who can barely drink a 16 ounce beer without taking a rest between sips....

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally, I would put a 35" tire in the bed, but just put it up right, instead of laying down and strap it in with a lock.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie (leveled with 2" rc struts and 1" rear spacer on 33.5" toyo open country) , 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the spare in the bed. I have 2 locations inside. This is the space saver: https://flic.kr/p/2ki7vYq
Then if I'm going to the desert to have fun in the washes I'll lay the tire down flat in the bed and strap it to it using Nfab rapid straps. You can see the brackets in the same pic above. In either case I can beat the time it takes to fiddle with the stock location by a huge margin.

I also have a swing out carrier n the back of the truck that I can use when my full truck bed is needed so I can say I can mount my full 35 spare in 3 different locations as needed. Super practical. :)

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2020 1500 looking to put a 35x12 spare tire under bed. I have a 6” lift. Any extra info would be appreciated
I have no experience with 1500's. sorry.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
I've just always taken my spare off once I go bigger. Especially with E-load tires on a 1500, it's extremely rare you'll ever need a spare anyway.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Coming from an SRT that had no spare at all, I just carry a plug kit and a big can of the tire spray goo. Is the spray goo and PITA, hell yes, but it'll get me out of a jam if I really need it.

I run LT E-Rated tires on my 1500 now, as has been said, it is rare that this beefy a tire has issues, especially with light off-road and in town/highway driving.