Spare Tire Mount W350 CCSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeWilk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
Hello all,

First post here! I have a 1985 W350 crew cab short bed, and cannot find a proper spare tire carrier/mount. I picked one up from the wrecking yard, from a 1st gen single cab but holes did not line up with my frame. I drilled a different hole in the carrier and I may be able to hang the carrier using 1/2” bolts, but this does put the tire very close to the exhaust.

Just wondering what the stock setup looks like, if anyone knows, or if there are any in-bed options that don’t take up too much room! The normal side mount behind the wheel arch does not work with the short bed very well.

Thanks in advance if you have any ideas. Mike

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
normally the tire goes under the bed but since you say it has a 5.9CTD i would assume it is also running a lift and larger than stock tires. a side mount like what is found in the ramchargers might work. uses a block to lift the tire so it sits against the wheel well in just the right way.
40-AVTo9YVG6XMHivLda4DGoybOPxuHBWC3Lg=w931-h625-no.jpg

OP
OP
MikeWilk

MikeWilk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
Thank you so much for the reply. The tires are 235/85R16, so not too much bigger than stock, I don’t think. The truck has what looks like a stock spring pack/setup on it – – that, or it is a really old lift. Looks like spring over axle in front, again don’t know if that is stock or not. And then, some blocks in the back maybe three or 4 inch blocks.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
someone will have likely needed to install heavier or lift spring in the front to support the 12V. they weight about twice what a gas engine gas engine weighs. blocks out back are normal. you can try measuring the tires and then measure between the frame at the back see if you can fit the tire. i forget what the max tire size that fit. my spares have usually sat under my toolbox. you can try modifying a tire lift winch off a newer vehicle to work or could maybe make one with a cheap winch and some creativity.

OP
OP
MikeWilk

MikeWilk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
Thanks, again! Good idea on the winch – – I might have to start doing some measuring next time I’m at the wrecking yard.