Spare Tire Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For those worried about spare tires and such and the inconvenience of a flat, AAA is a great solution for that issue. I never ran with a spare on my 2500 with 35's and I don't run one on my R/T... Hell I cut off the spare tire mount from the frame to fit a fuel cell and suspension re-engineering.
If I go long distances, I would usually throw on a full size spare, on a matching wheel into the bed or the trailer I would be towing.
The only vehicle I carry a spare on is my Jeep, that has a full size spare with matching wheel for the swingaway carrier off the rear bumper.
As for the other conversation going on....
This is specific to CA but touches on findings of the NHTSA.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've read this entire thread. It answers a few questions and poses another about full size aluminum rim in spare tire holder.

I'm planning a 6000 mile trip in July from Virginia to California hauling a 'jeep' on a trailer out to the Rubicon trail. I'm turning 60 and Gas prices aren't going to be lower any time soon so I'm going regardless as a birthday present to myself. a 'Bucket List' item and I'll probably not get the chance again.

As part of my prep for traveling I've lowered and inspected my 'donut' spare and found it to only have 20lbs and given the 'life' if I have to use it I have opted for a Full Size Spare. I don't want to trust having a flat and pulling a trailer on this 'emergency' spare.

I got a great deal on a stock black 20" rim and a tire with MFG date of 3719 (37th week of 2019) the same size as my Kuhmos MFD in 2018 so I should be OK. I had the tire inspected and shes got no patches and should be fine. I plan to keep the rim locked in the bed of the pickup and carry a full size jack as to me it is dangerous laying down to drop it and pull the spare out on the side of the road and not having a safe place for the under the seat jack.

I'll keep the donut in place now but what if i wanted to put the stock black rim in its place as it has a much smaller center hole. The bracket will never fit through like the larger center for the 'donut'.

Can it be done? How would I do it?
This is the HD forum, so I'm assuming you're asking about a 2500 or larger? I thought the HD trucks came with full sized spares. My 18 2500 has a full sized one.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For those worried about spare tires and such and the inconvenience of a flat, AAA is a great solution for that issue. I never ran with a spare on my 2500 with 35's and I don't run one on my R/T... Hell I cut off the spare tire mount from the frame to fit a fuel cell and suspension re-engineering.
If I go long distances, I would usually throw on a full size spare, on a matching wheel into the bed or the trailer I would be towing.
The only vehicle I carry a spare on is my Jeep, that has a full size spare with matching wheel for the swingaway carrier off the rear bumper.
AAA and other services might be fine for some people but good luck if you go off road and good luck having phone service. I drive plenty of areas that have no service for a 100 miles at a stretch

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if there one thing I have learned is I do not want California politicians meddling in anything I care about....it is all about collecting taxes...

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if there one thing I have learned is I do not want California politicians meddling in anything I care about....it is all about collecting taxes...
In most cases I agree with you... CA politics, especially when vehicles are involved are ridiculous and BS and all about $$$ and control.

But in this case it was more based on "safety" based on the NHTSA which is a federal agency. But to me, a large reason for these nanny laws is due to so many that do not exercise common sense and or pay attention to the condition of their vehicles and or care and results in accidents and death. and in ways we all suffer from increased quantity of MVA's since it makes our insurance cost more.

Personally, I swap out my tires when the rubber becomes hard and or starts to weather check on the vehicles that do not get driven that much.
At the fire station we cycle tires out between 7-10 years, that is for our equipment readiness as well as being kept up to serve the community we do to the best of our ability.