Spare Tire Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lance1985

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque
Thinking about new tires on my 2019 RAM 1500 and am happy with ride and performance on the original tires and plan to get identical replacements. I have never had a flat and assume the spare is identical with the original four tires. Since the spare is underneath the frame and never receives UV light or direct heat from the sun; is there any reason not to use it when replacing the tires, thus saving the cost of one tire?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It's unlikely the spare is a match with the other tires. Depending on model and options it could be a full sized spare or a temporary spare. Even if it's full size it may have a different rim size. For example, on the 2020 Laramie with the ORG I used to own, it came with a full size spare. But while the rims on the truck were 20 inch, the spare had an 18 inch wheel. Our 2020 Limited has a temporary spare. I would not count on using the spare unless you look at it to verify what you have under there.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Not all truck get a spare that is identical to the rest, there is usually a temporary size.
Tires when properly cared for tires are good for 6-10 year although in Europe auto manufacturers don't recommend tires to be used after 6 years old.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
OK, I'll ask. You've had this truck for 4 years and not once lowered the spare just to look at it or to see how it's done, or been under the truck to at least check the air occasionally?

However, to answer your original question: If the spare matches the original tires, then go ahead and use it to augment your new ones before it gets too old to use. But, you're still goiing to have to buy a new spare to replace it so how much have you actually saved?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You should drop your spare so that you know how to do it

Right now, chances are your spare has 17 pounds of air in it

getting the the jack out from under the passenger seat the first time is not fun, better to do it on a nice day, so if you have a need for it during the night in a rain storm, you will not have any surprises

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Without giving you all the other input, if it is the same make and size, use it as the number 4 new tire. Take the best take off tire and make that your spare. Saves you the cost of one new tire and since we almost never use the spare tire a used tire works fine.

My 1996 I used the spare twice when it was less than a year old because the factory tires blew out two sidewalls. After having all 4 replaced I never once used that spare in the next 24 years. Each time I bought 4 new tires for the truck, I would have them swap out the spare with the best of the takeoffs. That way your spare doesn't age out and crack.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Without giving you all the other input, if it is the same make and size, use it as the number 4 new tire. Take the best take off tire and make that your spare. Saves you the cost of one new tire and since we almost never use the spare tire a used tire works fine.

My 1996 I used the spare twice when it was less than a year old because the factory tires blew out two sidewalls. After having all 4 replaced I never once used that spare in the next 24 years. Each time I bought 4 new tires for the truck, I would have them swap out the spare with the best of the takeoffs. That way your spare doesn't age out and crack.
I forgot about using the best of the old for a spare. On the other hand, I did not follow my own advice. When I bought my last truck, a 2000 Silverado that I purchased new in Oct 1999, it came with a matching spare. When I sold it 2 months ago after 23+ years of driving, I had put 4 sets of tires on it but that original spare was still hanging under the back. I had pulled it out once about 15 years ago when I had a flat, drove on it for a day, then put it right back again. My bad...:cool:

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Thinking about new tires on my 2019 RAM 1500 and am happy with ride and performance on the original tires and plan to get identical replacements. I have never had a flat and assume the spare is identical with the original four tires. Since the spare is underneath the frame and never receives UV light or direct heat from the sun; is there any reason not to use it when replacing the tires, thus saving the cost of one tire?

Sunlight or UV is only % of the problem. Temperature changes also play in a factor. I have a Wrangler with the rear mounted tire and do a 5 tire rotation. You will be safer in that situation in all aspects.

So looking at your question you should theoretically have more mileage, be safer and come out break even on cost if you replace all 5 on a 5 tire rotation. Safer is the key, because you look at the spare every 7500 miles, instead of an emergency.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I check tire pressure on the spare when I check the tires, which is quite often. It is easy since the valve stem faces down. I lower the spare at least once a year and lube up the cable and anything else that can be lubed. When it is down, I treat the tire with Aerospace 303 Protectant to help preserve it. I do not use the spare in my tire rotation since it is different brand tire than what I currently have on the truck.

OP
OP
L

Lance1985

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque
Sunlight or UV is only % of the problem. Temperature changes also play in a factor. I have a Wrangler with the rear mounted tire and do a 5 tire rotation. You will be safer in that situation in all aspects.

I assume "rear mounted" means that it is exposed outside of the vehicle and therefore exposed to direct sunlight with damaging ultraviolet radiation. That is a different situation than one mounted under the frame.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
Spares can wiggle quite a bit under the truck, I'd check the sidewall very closely before considering using it for a primary tire (or even as a spare for that matter). I've seen them worn quite a bit into the sidewall, even in just a few years time. Personally, I'd still just buy a full set and leave that one for a spare. The minute you don't have a spare is the minute you'll need one.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

You may want to start your research on this topic by crawling under your truck and capturing some of the most important data.

I have a full-sized spare on my '21 Classic and IIRC, it's a 245/75/17 that has a working pressure of 55 psi.

Also, this quote is from a DS pdf user's manual;

Full-Size Spare — If Equipped- The full-size spare is for temporary emergency use only. This tire may look like the originally equipped tire on the front or rear axle of your vehicle, but it is not. This spare tire may have limited tread life. When the tread is worn to the tread wear indicators, the temporary use full-size spare tire needs to be replaced. Since it is not the same as your original equipment tire, replace (or repair) the original equipment tire and reinstall on the vehicle at the first opportunity.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You may want to start your research on this topic by crawling under your truck and capturing some of the most important data.

I have a full-sized spare on my '21 Classic and IIRC, it's a 245/75/17 that has a working pressure of 55 psi.

Also, this quote is from a DS pdf user's manual;

Full-Size Spare — If Equipped- The full-size spare is for temporary emergency use only. This tire may look like the originally equipped tire on the front or rear axle of your vehicle, but it is not. This spare tire may have limited tread life. When the tread is worn to the tread wear indicators, the temporary use full-size spare tire needs to be replaced. Since it is not the same as your original equipment tire, replace (or repair) the original equipment tire and reinstall on the vehicle at the first opportunity.

That's interesting. My users manual says, "Spare Tire Matching Original Equipped Tire and Wheel - If Equipped: Your vehicle may be equipped with a spare tire and wheel equivalent in look and function to the original equipment tire and wheel found on...your vehicle. This spare tire may be used in tire rotation..."

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's interesting. My users manual says, "Spare Tire Matching Original Equipped Tire and Wheel - If Equipped: Your vehicle may be equipped with a spare tire and wheel equivalent in look and function to the original equipment tire and wheel found on...your vehicle. This spare tire may be used in tire rotation..."

That's good to know.

Like the myriad of other options for these vehicles, never assume you have anything without looking first. My hard-copy manual looks like it was written for many different trucks.

Reading my truck manual is like reading the ingredients list on fast food. May or may not contain...

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That's good to know.

Like the myriad of other options for these vehicles, never assume you have anything without looking first. My hard-copy manual looks like it was written for many different trucks.

Reading my truck manual is like reading the ingredients list on fast food. May or may not contain...

I know. there are certain things about this truck that I want to know about but can't find in the manual.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Guys the OP has a 1500. Some of you are commenting on your HD's, and I would imagine the spare on a 2500 and 3500 would be more likely to match the rest of the tires for obvious reasons. I'd also be surprised if any HD has a temporary spare, but like anything else I could be wrong about that. Nothing about these trucks surprises me anymore.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
For the 1500 if you get the ORG (Off-Road Group) you get the same "all-terrain" tire that is on the other wheels but it will be on an 18x8" steel wheel; all the others get a temporary spare tire (not sure if the higher trim Longhorn and Limited get the 'full-size' regardless).

I have read both schools of thought (yes and no for using the spare tire as one of your regular road tires) and both sides have some valid points.

Personally I will never do it again. I bought 5 tires and had a tire separate after awhile. The tire shop told me to buy 4 new tires but I thought that was to get me to spend more money so I bought 3 tires, used the 5th (spare) from the previous set, and took the best of the ones used and made that the spare...and had another tire separate. I did the same thing again...and another tire separated. The tire shop told me that I shouldn't use a spare for anything else once I've tucked it under the truck, even if it was the same as what was on the ground.

Regardless, any reputable tire shop will tell you to replace your tires if they are at least 6 years old. Once the tire gets down to 2/32" tread or is over 10 years old then they won't work on it (only replace it)...and that includes the spare.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My Tire Store refuses to fix a tire, when it reaches a certain age

before long, car & light trucks will not get a spare
you will get a Plug Kit, tire goop, and a small air compressor
That will make the vehicle 30 pounds lighter.

That ought to give the vehicles another 2/10s of MPG

of course they lost more than that with the monstrously heavy E-Torque thing on the engine & the battery that supports it

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
UV and temp are not the only enemies of rubber. Maybe not as great as UV but almost certainly more damaging than temperature (except maybe wild extremes) is long term oxidation. There's more than one reason why tires (in some/many/most states?) will not pass inspection after X years.

That said, I have never personally been sidelined by a flat tire, and with the current available options it simply is not worth it to me to worry about maintaining a viable spare. YMMV

Now, if I were planning a trip on the AlCan, that's a different story.