Spare Tire Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Was that goofy full-sized spare on a proper full-sized rim, so you only had to replace the tire, and then it became a useful replacement?

'To answer your question, from my memory NO!

I did not pay that much attention, I just dropped it to make sure if I need to replace it could do it in a pinch. Including all the jack points and where everything was located. My opinion unless you call someone like AAA or such it is a good idea to know how to replace a tire in an emergency, but that is a different thread. OH, and checked the pressure. Because not towing it would have been "fine".

This all said, going on memory I had the 22s on my Limited and this was a smaller rim (not overall diameter tire) and the tire was way skinnier. - remember on my memory.

Now my guess, all RAM trucks (less the special ones) have the same 32" radius overall and the same size brakes so no matter the rim this tire would work across the board.

For my situation I would have needed a fancy rim under the and thinking about it that might not have worked.

My car has fix-a-flat in the trunk LOL!

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Are you talking about a specific model? I have a 2023 2500 that came with 17" wheels.
I also have a 5th gen power wagon with 17" wheels. I just put 35x12.5 x17 Pro Comp mud terrains with no problems.
I'm referring specifically to the 5th gen 1500. 18" is the minimum wheel diameter to clear the brake calipers. My OEM 18" wheels had about 1/4" clearance between the rim and brake caliper.

The newer HD trucks are 4.5 gen trucks (5th gen body (cab and bed), 4th gen everything else) so will support a 17" wheel.

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Now my guess, all RAM trucks (less the special ones) have the same 32" radius overall and the same size brakes so no matter the rim this tire would work across the board.
I'm thinking you meant diameter, not radius. ;)

And assuming you're specifically talking about 5th gen 1500's, your guess is incorrect. Rebels come with 33" diameter tires.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Everyone seems to have their own definition of what a truck is. While I agree that no pick up should come with a temporary spare, I don't agree that the spare tire that comes with it defines whether or not it's a truck LOL. It's easy enough to replace the spare with the tire/wheel of your choice.

Sadly, that is true in this day and age in so many ways. Nothing is what it seems anymore as the traditional definition of many things is not as it once was.

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The newer HD trucks are 4.5 gen trucks (5th gen cab, 4th gen everything else) so will support a 17" wheel.
Not really sure what this has to do with anything but that’s quite incorrect… the 2019+ HDs have 4th gen cab and bed shells, everything else has been redesigned. That said I have no idea about the wheel sizes on them.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Not really sure what this has to do with anything but that’s quite incorrect… the 2019+ HDs have 4th gen cab and bed shells, everything else has been redesigned. That said I have no idea about the wheel sizes on them.
Thanks for the correction - I edited my post to reflect your info.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thinking about new tires on my 2019 RAM 1500 and am happy with ride and performance on the original tires and plan to get identical replacements. I have never had a flat and assume the spare is identical with the original four tires. Since the spare is underneath the frame and never receives UV light or direct heat from the sun; is there any reason not to use it when replacing the tires, thus saving the cost of one tire?
I'd replace those tires with Pathfinders A/T from Discount Tire. They are great tires, good price, wear exceptionally well, have great traction, etc. I have these on three different pickups and would not trade them for anything. Spare question is you should take it down, check it out and put at least the regular poundage of air into it. cheers

Snow Wanderer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thinking about new tires on my 2019 RAM 1500 and am happy with ride and performance on the original tires and plan to get identical replacements. I have never had a flat and assume the spare is identical with the original four tires. Since the spare is underneath the frame and never receives UV light or direct heat from the sun; is there any reason not to use it when replacing the tires, thus saving the cost of one tire?
I had to buy a full size spare to replace the temporary spare that came with my 2019 Limited 1500, which had everything except the 'hundred speaker upgraded sound system'! I needed to buy a new rim and tire for it... but it does fit where the original spare goes! I do a five tire rotation each time, too.

Floyd1979

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
4 yrs old , I would keep the spare where it’s At . Air it up .

As far as putting a 4 yr old tire on the road , not a chance .

OP
OP
L

Lance1985

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque
My Bad.. I am the original poster and failed to specify exactly which truck I have.
It is a 2019 4th Generation with Tires 275/65 R18 mounted on 6 lug wheels

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The forums are pretty forgiving as far as posting in the incorrect gen forum. But it definitely helps reduce confusion if you would have posted this in the 4th gen forum to begin with.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Bad.. I am the original poster and failed to specify exactly which truck I have.
It is a 2019 4th Generation with Tires 275/65 R18 mounted on 6 lug wheels

That's a fascinating update.

Until now, I had thought the 18" x 6-bolt rims were only on the 5th gen. It seems there is no end to the variability of options available across the different models.

Good to know, thanks for the info.

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's a fascinating update.

Until now, I had thought the 18" x 6-bolt rims were only on the 5th gen. It seems there is no end to the variability of options available across the different models.

Good to know, thanks for the info.

4th gens are all 5 lug, and 5th gens are all 6 lug. There are no exceptions. The OP must be confused between the generations or perhaps remembering the lug count incorrectly

Jeepstr723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2009 Ram 1500, which I bought in 2015, it has a temporary spare with an 18 inch wheel, the other 4 are 20 inch wheels. I only dropped it once shortly after acquiring my truck due to a flat. It came down as it should have. Now in 2022, I hit a wheel laying in the road, blew my tire out and bent my rim. I never lowered it since that 1st flat. I didn't lube the cable as I should have. The night of my tire issue the mechanism had rusted up over the years, the bar slipped & would not lower the tire. A flatbed wrecker took my truck to Belle tire for a new set of wheels and tires. I used a sawzall to cut the spare tire down from underneath. I got a new spare tire mechanism, lesson learned the hard way.

chayden

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2017 1500 Crewcab with the 20" wheels. I've used the spare several times over the years due to road hazards and whatnot. Mine is a "full sized" spare but is not on a 20" rim. It does match circumferentially with the stock tire size so it will not cause differential/transfer case issues. The tire is much narrower and has a minimal tread pattern, but I had no problems doing freeway speeds for several days until i could deal with my flat tire. It was normal commuting; no heavy loads or towing. I felt no difference in handling but definitely didn't push it like I would with all tires in perfect working order.
If you have never used the jack in your truck, pay attention to how its all packed up when you pull it out. It is a head-scratching PITA to get back in if you don't put it back together exactly how it came out.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2017 1500 Crewcab with the 20" wheels. I've used the spare several times over the years due to road hazards and whatnot. Mine is a "full sized" spare but is not on a 20" rim. It does match circumferentially with the stock tire size so it will not cause differential/transfer case issues. The tire is much narrower and has a minimal tread pattern, but I had no problems doing freeway speeds for several days until i could deal with my flat tire. It was normal commuting; no heavy loads or towing. I felt no difference in handling but definitely didn't push it like I would with all tires in perfect working order.
If you have never used the jack in your truck, pay attention to how its all packed up when you pull it out. It is a head-scratching PITA to get back in if you don't put it back together exactly how it came out.
Just spent 20 minutes yesterday going through the process with mine for practice. Now, if I have an issue after dark I can at least get the spare down and out from under the truck.

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To me it’s not worth the trouble. Wheel most likely different. So I will just change the other 4 when time comes. But will do Michelin

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My $0.02

Tire failures are EXTREMELY RARE in this day and age.

As long as I have something on board to get me to the place I need to go "right now" I consider that a success.

Now, for those of you that want to be able to continue on as if nothing happened, I have not problem with that. For someone who depends on their truck for their income I would expect that. So, make sure you have what you need, and upgrade if required.

Fact is, 99% of pickups sold today are commuters. Would it make sense for the mfr to include (and charge for) a high output alternator, trailer tow package and/or cold weather package on every truck just because "a few people want that"?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My $0.02

Tire failures are EXTREMELY RARE in this day and age.
I wish that were true. I've had more tire issues in the last 3 years than I saw in the previous 20. Because of that the spare tires and mechanism in all our vehicles are in good condition.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2009 Ram 1500, which I bought in 2015, it has a temporary spare with an 18 inch wheel, the other 4 are 20 inch wheels. I only dropped it once shortly after acquiring my truck due to a flat. It came down as it should have. Now in 2022, I hit a wheel laying in the road, blew my tire out and bent my rim. I never lowered it since that 1st flat. I didn't lube the cable as I should have. The night of my tire issue the mechanism had rusted up over the years, the bar slipped & would not lower the tire. A flatbed wrecker took my truck to Belle tire for a new set of wheels and tires. I used a sawzall to cut the spare tire down from underneath. I got a new spare tire mechanism, lesson learned the hard way.
A long time ago, I found out the hard way about the spare tire hanging under the back of the truck. The tire hangs there and because of where it is physically located, it maintains a lot of moisture back there, at least here in the NE part of the country. The steel rims rust, everything above rusts as well as the ratcheting mechanism that lowers and raises the tire. Not to mention, the spare is usually ignored and most likely low on tire pressure. There are too many surprises that await in an emergency situation. On most of my trucks, I remove the spare and put it in the bed. I realize it takes up space, but I can get around that. I usually/eventually acquire a matching rim for the spare and use it in a 5-tire rotation.