Spare Tire Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I wish that were true. I've had more tire issues in the last 3 years than I saw in the previous 20. Because of that the spare tires and mechanism in all our vehicles are in good condition.
Mike, I think you just have bad luck. I just sold my 2000 Silverado when I bought my RAM in March. I had one (1) flat on that truck in 23 years of driving. I tow a trailer a lot and I had one (1) flat on a trailer back in 2006. And both of those flats were discovered while the vehicle/trailer were sitting. TestPilot is correct, flats are pretty rare.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Mike, I think you just have bad luck. I just sold my 2000 Silverado when I bought my RAM in March. I had one (1) flat on that truck in 23 years of driving. I tow a trailer a lot and I had one (1) flat on a trailer back in 2006. And both of those flats were discovered while the vehicle/trailer were sitting. TestPilot is correct, flats are pretty rare.
Bad luck or not, my point is they aren't any more rare now than they were 5 years ago. What exactly has changed recently to make his statement true? A blanket statement like that is easy to say. But with nothing to back it up it's just an opinion. You say you've seen 1 flat in 23 years of driving. I'd say you've just had good luck. :cheers:

OP
OP
L

Lance1985

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque
My Bad.. I am the original poster and failed to specify exactly which truck I have.
It is a 2019 4th Generation with Tires 275/65 R18 mounted on 6 lug wheels
This generation business is very confusing. After spending more time than I should have, my conclusion is that it is a 5th generation because of the R18 tires and 6 lug wheels. Those of us of Italian ancestry understand the confusion since RAM is owned by Fiat.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Bad luck or not, my point is they aren't any more rare now than they were 5 years ago. What exactly has changed recently to make his statement true? A blanket statement like that is easy to say. But with nothing to back it up it's just an opinion. You say you've seen 1 flat in 23 years of driving. I'd say you've just had good luck. :cheers:
I understand what you're saying, but by way of another example: we bought my wife's Jeep in Mar 2013. She had her first - and only, so far - flat tire in July 2021. So, at this point 10 years and only one (1) flat doesn't seem that odd to me. Now, if you do a lot of off-roading and rock-crawling it wouldn't be strange to get a flat or two maybe every year, but under normal driving conditions it's pretty uncommon unless you do all your driving in a scrapyard. :cool:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You kind of hit the nail on the head. Most of it depends on where you drive and the types and amount of crap that gets deposited on those roads.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I wish that were true. I've had more tire issues in the last 3 years than I saw in the previous 20. Because of that the spare tires and mechanism in all our vehicles are in good condition.
There are always anomalies. Or, "the exception proves the rule".

At 59, I have never once suffered a flat on the road. My wife had one, roughly 30 or so years ago.

In the teens and twenties (since we're there again, I suppose I should add 'the 19...'), I understand that spare tires (emphasis on the plural) were an expected and necessary piece of equipment for anyone venturing "out of town".

My 2006 Porsche Boxster does not even have a spare tire of any sort. They have run-flat tires (how long can you run them?!!), supply a tire sealant and pre-charged air cylinder to get you up and running on less serious failures. I din't buy it new, so I don't know - do they offer tire replacement/helo-transport-to-local-dealer if it can't be fixed, or what?

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Slap on some 10 ply E load rated tires and be done with it ;) (lol)
Drop the spare and lose some weight.... that's what CAA is for (ain't no one changing a Ram tire in a snowstorm on the side of the road...) (or, very few.... ;))

Many of us also change the tire size and go bigger than what came OEM on ones truck (i.e., I'm now running LT295/65R20's - 35's), so putting on a spare in a corner (especially the rear when running in 2WD) and having to drive any distance is likely going to wreak havoc on ones drivetrain.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another issue is how long you have your tires, I have had 3 while moving tire failures in the past few years.
One was a new tire that a pothole took out.

The other 2 were tire age failure, one I caught it due to a belt going bad and I felt it, the other let go at 70 mph while towing the boat and went from a tire going flat to utter failure in the time it took to get off of the road - maybe 30 seconds. Both were older tires with well over 50% tread left - intermittent highway use only so several years old.

They have discovered this is a major cause of tire failure and is why all new tires have a born on date on them now.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Another issue is how long you have your tires, I have had 3 while moving tire failures in the past few years.
One was a new tire that a pothole took out.

The other 2 were tire age failure, one I caught it due to a belt going bad and I felt it, the other let go at 70 mph while towing the boat and went from a tire going flat to utter failure in the time it took to get off of the road - maybe 30 seconds. Both were older tires with well over 50% tread left - intermittent highway use only so several years old.

They have discovered this is a major cause of tire failure and is why all new tires have a born on date on them now.
Tires have had born on dates for decades, although I don't know for sure when it became a federal requirement. My boss showed that to me when I started work in my first tire shop in 1980.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Tires do age and from a lot of causes, however, if you look at the tire you can tell when the age is starting to become a problem. They will start to show cracks in the sidewalls and or within the tread itself. If you put 10,000+ miles a year on the tire will wear out before age is an issue. If you keep tires more than 6 years, inspect them closely a couple of times a year. Like everything else on our vehicles, they have a serviceable life, but this can be greatly increased through proper care and inflation. To blanket say, "I would not use a 4 year old tire", is being over cautious to an extreme. That said, changing out the spare with the best take-off at every new tire purchase is very cheap to do and a prudent precaution.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tires do age and from a lot of causes, however, if you look at the tire you can tell when the age is starting to become a problem. They will start to show cracks in the sidewalls and or within the tread itself. If you put 10,000+ miles a year on the tire will wear out before age is an issue. If you keep tires more than 6 years, inspect them closely a couple of times a year. Like everything else on our vehicles, they have a serviceable life, but this can be greatly increased through proper care and inflation. To blanket say, "I would not use a 4 year old tire", is being over cautious to an extreme. That said, changing out the spare with the best take-off at every new tire purchase is very cheap to do and a prudent precaution.
I think mine were about 10 yrs old with no sign of rot that I ever noticed - and I did get up close and personal with the tires quite often.
I think the tread was still close to around 7or8/32's left on the them.

Usually, tires just don't last that long - company car side effect :)

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I bought a 1991 Honda Prelude out of a barn a few years ago that had brand new tires. They still had the rubber nubs on the tread. The engine had blown on the trip home from the tire store and they didn't have the means to fix it at the time. The car ended up sitting for 10 years before they decided to get rid of it. Man were those tires flat spotted LOL. After replacing the engine I drive it around town for a week hoping they'd work themselves in, but I gave up and bought new tires for it.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Apparently, five spare tire configurations were available in 2019 (5th gen) of Ram 1500s, plus a Tire Service Kit:

Spare Tires — If Equipped

CAUTION! Because of the reduced ground clearance, do not take your vehicle through an automatic car wash with a compact or limited use temporary spare installed. Damage to the vehicle may result.

Spare Tire Matching Original Equipped Tire And Wheel — If Equipped

Your vehicle may be equipped with a spare tire and wheel equivalent in look and function to the original equipment tire and wheel found on the front or rear axle of your vehicle. This spare tire may be used in the tire rotation for SERVICING AND MAINTENANCE your vehicle. If your vehicle has this option, refer to an authorized tire dealer for the recommended tire rotation pattern.

Compact Spare Tire — If Equipped

The compact spare is for temporary emergency use only. You can identify if your vehicle is equipped with a compact spare by looking at the spare tire description on the Tire and Loading Information Placard located on the driver’s side door opening or on the sidewall of the tire. Compact spare tire descriptions begin with the letter “T” or “S” preceding the size designation. Example: T145/80D18103M.T, S = Temporary Spare Tire Since this tire has limited tread life, the original equipment tire should be repaired (or replaced) and reinstalled on your vehicle at the first opportunity. Do not install a wheel cover or attempt to mount a conventional tire on the compact spare wheel, since the wheel is designed specifically for the compact spare tire. Do not install more than one compact spare tire and wheel on the vehicle at any given time. WARNING! Compact and collapsible spares are for temporary emergency use only. With these spares, do not drive more than 50 mph (80 km/h). Temporary use spares have limited tread life.

Collapsible Spare Tire — If Equipped

The collapsible spare is for temporary emergency use only. You can identify if your vehicle is equipped with a collapsible spare by looking at the spare tire description on the Tire and Loading Information Placard located on the driver’s side door opening or on the sidewall of the tire. Collapsible spare tire description example: 165/80-17 101P. Since this tire has limited tread life, the original equipment tire should be repaired (or replaced) and reinstalled on your vehicle at the first opportunity. Inflate collapsible tire only after the wheel is properly installed to the vehicle. Inflate the collapsible tire using the electric air pump before lowering the vehicle. SERVICING AND MAINTENANCE Do not install a wheel cover or attempt to mount a conventional tire on the collapsible spare wheel, since the wheel is designed specifically for the collapsible spare tire. WARNING! Compact and Collapsible spares are for temporary emergency use only. With these spares, do not drive more than 50 mph (80 km/h). Temporary use spares have limited tread life.

Full Size Spare — If Equipped

The full size spare is for temporary emergency use only. This tire may look like the originally equipped tire on the front or rear axle of your vehicle, but it is not. This spare tire may have limited tread life. When the tread is worn to the tread wear indicators, the temporary use full size spare tire needs to be replaced. Since it is not the same as your original equipment tire, replace (or repair) the original equipment tire and reinstall on the vehicle at the first opportunity.

Limited Use Spare — If Equipped

The limited use spare tire is for temporary emergency use only. This tire is identified by a label located on the limited use spare wheel. This label contains the driving limitations for this spare. This tire may look like the original equipped tire on the front or rear axle of your vehicle, but it is not. Installation of this limited use spare tire affects vehicle handling.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 91880 miles.