Spare tire TPMS and rotation question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WileyBob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After 45,000 miles, I finally managed to wear the stock tires down enough that my wife will let me get new ones, and she's letting me upgrade the wheels as well for my Christmas present this year. I’ve decided on Method 305 Bronze Wheels with 315/70/17 BFG KO2 tires (or maybe Toyo MT tires). I’m attempting to get a look similar to the raptor below.

The truck is a 2013 Outdoorsman, leveled with Bilsteins at the maximum setting (being kept compressed by an Iron Bull bumper up front with a 12k Warn winch inside). Below is a picture of how my truck sits today.

I plan on buying 5 wheel/tire sets to keep the spare the same size, and rotating the spare in with the rest of the tires every oil change. My big question is how to do this with the TPMS system in the truck. My understanding is that the stock spare tire has no TPMS sensor in it. I plan on keeping the spare under the bed in the stock location. Has anyone bought a 5th sensor for the spare tire and done this?

Attachments

• Black Raptor on Bronze Method NV_zpshebkzumw.jpg
    Black Raptor on Bronze Method NV_zpshebkzumw.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 603
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 129

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the full size matching spare but on a steel black rim. Not 100% sure but I believe it has the sensor, I stand to be corrected.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Easy way to tell if it has a TPMS sensor is to grab the valve stem and gently wiggle it side to side. If it only moves a little bit side to side then there is probably a sensor. If you can almost fold the valve stem over with no interference there is no sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I think it does have a TPMS, but if it doesn't all you have to do is have them install one on the 5th wheel. They have may have to 'reset' that wheel each time it's placed in rotation.

Go with the Toyos. You said upgrade. So upgrade! :)

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I think it does have a TPMS, but if it doesn't all you have to do is have them install one on the 5th wheel. They have may have to 'reset' that wheel each time it's placed in rotation.

Go with the Toyos. You said upgrade. So upgrade! :)
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the Ram system uses rotation and distance from the sensor to know what tire is at what location. It seems to me that if you had a 5 wheel rotation with 5 sensors, the rotation and distance features would still work. Since the spare wouldn't be rotating, it wouldn't register a signal, whereas the other 4 still should.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
What is this "wife will let me" talk?

lmeavtitn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Almost 100 percent certain that the Rams do not have a sensor in the spare. So even if you had a full size spare and buy a sensor to put in it, you wouldn't be able to read all 5 wheels positions on the tpms read out at once. The Ram only registers 4 at a time. When we do rotations at work, we have rotated Rams with full size spares and we always have to "relearn" the system to the truck knows what sensors are under the vehicle as it can't remember a 5th wheel position.

lmeavtitn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the Ram system uses rotation and distance from the sensor to know what tire is at what location. It seems to me that if you had a 5 wheel rotation with 5 sensors, the rotation and distance features would still work. Since the spare wouldn't be rotating, it wouldn't register a signal, whereas the other 4 still should.

Yeah, they do a proximity read out to determine what sensors are in what wheel positions. But they still need to relearned. So that would be if you wanted to buy a 5th sensor for the spare and you wanted to rotate the spare into service, you would have to relearn the sensors to the ECU which a tire shop would have to do.

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
The spare tire on the trucks does not come with a TPM sensor. You can add one in no problem. IIRC, the system can only hold 4 programmed sensors. I'm not sure if it would pick up the 5th sensor automatically after a rotate.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Yeah, they do a proximity read out to determine what sensors are in what wheel positions. But they still need to relearned. So that would be if you wanted to buy a 5th sensor for the spare and you wanted to rotate the spare into service, you would have to relearn the sensors to the ECU which a tire shop would have to do.

For most 2010 and up FCA vehicles, there is no programing when adding additional or new wheel TPM sensors. It is just install and go and any new sensors will be picked up and status by the TPMS.

So in theory, a TPMS installed into the spare can be rotated in and eventually status.

OP
OP
W

WileyBob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I swapped the spare in for the back left wheel last night, and put the former back left wheel in the bed. Interestingly, the 17" stock aluminum wheels cannot be winched back under the truck bed because the center hole isn't large enough for the hanger to pass through. Where are you supposed to put the flat tire if you happen to blow one out with the bed full of material??

The TPMS dinged at me after about 10 miles on the way to work this morning and threw an error code on the EVIC. So it appears that a full-size spare does NOT have a TPMS in it, and that the truck will quickly "unlearn" a wheel, even if it's still onboard. All 5 of my stock wheels have "wiggly" valve stems in them so the rigid valve stem theory doesn't pan out for my particular sensors. It looks like I'm going to need to buy a spare TPMS sensor in addition to swapping the 4 factory ones into the new wheels. My big question now is: Will the new wheels fit on the spare tire winch? Does anyone know? Method doesn't list the center hole size on their website, so I might have to call them tomorrow to check before I put in my order.

To be honest I love the look of the Toyos but I'm afraid of their weight and the long-term wear. They weigh 80 lbs each! The KO2s weigh about 65 lbs instead. That's a 20% difference! I've got 3.55 gearing on my truck. I've also heard that the siping on the Toyos only goes about halfway into the tread blocks and that you lose traction as they wear out.

Paul C Rae JR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
My 2016 2500 Bighorn does not have a TPMS in the spare. I want to change the spare to a matching alloy rim and install a TPMS in it. I recently had new tires installed and the readings were all messed up as far as location. They were relearned by the system after about 10 miles of driving.I was wondering what the readings would be like if I put a TPMS in my spare.

Paul C Rae JR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I swapped the spare in for the back left wheel last night, and put the former back left wheel in the bed. Interestingly, the 17" stock aluminum wheels cannot be winched back under the truck bed because the center hole isn't large enough for the hanger to pass through. Where are you supposed to put the flat tire if you happen to blow one out with the bed full of material??

The TPMS dinged at me after about 10 miles on the way to work this morning and threw an error code on the EVIC. So it appears that a full-size spare does NOT have a TPMS in it, and that the truck will quickly "unlearn" a wheel, even if it's still onboard. All 5 of my stock wheels have "wiggly" valve stems in them so the rigid valve stem theory doesn't pan out for my particular sensors. It looks like I'm going to need to buy a spare TPMS sensor in addition to swapping the 4 factory ones into the new wheels. My big question now is: Will the new wheels fit on the spare tire winch? Does anyone know? Method doesn't list the center hole size on their website, so I might have to call them tomorrow to check before I put in my order.

To be honest I love the look of the Toyos but I'm afraid of their weight and the long-term wear. They weigh 80 lbs each! The KO2s weigh about 65 lbs instead. That's a 20% difference! I've got 3.55 gearing on my truck. I've also heard that the siping on the Toyos only goes about halfway into the tread blocks and that you lose traction as they wear out.

I have a 2016 2500 Cummins and my spare tire holder will hold the full size with the alloy rims I have on the vehicle. I recently had a flat and carried it to the tire shop underneath. My rims are 18" alloys.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have the full size matching spare but on a steel black rim. Not 100% sure but I believe it has the sensor, I stand to be corrected.

I've been looking to do the same thing. Do you have the 20" wheels? If so, where did you get the rim? I've been told that the 20" steel rims that were standard for the spare on 3rd Gen trucks with 20" wheels will fit, but I haven't found one locally that wasn't completely rusted.

-K

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've been looking to do the same thing. Do you have the 20" wheels? If so, where did you get the rim? I've been told that the 20" steel rims that were standard for the spare on 3rd Gen trucks with 20" wheels will fit, but I haven't found one locally that wasn't completely rusted.

-K
Yes I have the 20" wheels and the full size spare came with the truck as part of the package.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have 2 spare TPMS sensors. Free if you pay shipping.

Or, you could get a group of four needing a spare together and purchase a new set? Sounds like there is interest...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My last Jeep I had sensors in all 5 AEV wheels as I would incorporate the spare into each tire rotation. Never had to do a thing to any wheel just rotate them as usual