spare tire winch issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trakpak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hi guys im new here. im on my 2nd ram. this ones a 06 qc sb 4wd with 68k miles on it. i bought it a couple months ago and have been doing work to it. the spare time was in the bed when i bought it. so ive been messing with the winch. the cable lowers fine and is in great shape. problem is the metal bracket that the cable runs through that actually grabs the rim when you raise the tire dosent lower at all. i can spin it with my finger easily but it will not go down. am i missing something? i kinda smacked it around with a hammer just hoping it was stuck but it didnt do anything. any ideas? thanks, Mike

Later2u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wish I could help you, but the last time my spare was lowered was 12 years ago when I put a new spare tire on to match the larger set of tires I replaced the original ones with.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
First WELCOME to the group from a former Ct. person . Please update when you do get it fixed ,sorry I am no help. BUT I would spray WD-40 or other Rust buster in there to maybe free up the winch, but my guess is it was stripped/busted by the other owner!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Trying to understand the problem, since the bracket is only attached to the cable. Is it stuck somehow? Can you post a picture?

brownie289

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had to destroy the flap thing that holds the tire, I basically pinched it shut and it fell through the tire. Then I broke the bolts off and drilled out the bracket. Replaced with a new OEM hoist I bought online. Covered with fluid film this time...

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Exercise it on a semi-regular basis as well, it's the staying in one position while getting covered in road grime that kills these things.

brownie289

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exercise it on a semi-regular basis as well, it's the staying in one position while getting covered in road grime that kills these things.

Agree, I used to run snow tires in the winter so it would happen every season. Need to put that back on the main schedule !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyJeep810

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Having the same issue on my 2014 right now. Cable drops, but tire and bracket won't budge. Nice design Ram!