Spark plug change interval?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Must have the older waste spark engine, eh? You can covert those, I think? New coils, plugs. Not sure if ECM needs flashing.

The dealership won't install the old nickel ones now, just the iridium. I hear conflicting info on if you need to adjust the gap if you keep stock coils. I just installed nickel. If my driving habits remain the same, I'll do them again in another 4.5 years, I suppose. I can see where it'd be a bother without that little gearwrench tool, but it made it pretty easy.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The dealership won't install the old nickel ones now, just the iridium. I hear conflicting info on if you need to adjust the gap if you keep stock coils. I just installed nickel. If my driving habits remain the same, I'll do them again in another 4.5 years, I suppose. I can see where it'd be a bother without that little gearwrench tool, but it made it pretty easy.

Wow that is weird. Supposedly the old stock coils couldn't fire dual coated plugs - the whole reason for the copper only 30k mile plug thing.

Obviously they've deemed you need to buy a new truck from them!

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Obviously they've deemed you need to buy a new truck from them!

They'd probably like that, but it'll be another 5 years before I hit 100k if my driving habits don't change. I figure I'll be good for 5-10 years on this one, anyway. Maybe the 6th gen will tickle me more then the 5th gen has.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Great job!

Did you go at them from the top or through the wheel well?