Spark plug/heat shield removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RebelRam01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Anyone have any tips for removing the heat shields to get to my spark plugs in my 5.9 magnum? They are due for replacement and the shields have shrunk from the heat and I can not get the socket down in to remove them. I have pulled one out so far after fighting with it for hours, they do not just "pull out" and whoever thinks they so isn't running on all cylinders. I am going to try grinding down a socket next to see if it fits, just from a video I saw. I can not fight with each one of these heat shields, I'll never be able to remove the back four by the distributor. I don't want to take this to a shop just for spark plugs because they would charge me for just the time spent taking these damn shields off. If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated!!

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone have any tips for removing the heat shields to get to my spark plugs in my 5.9 magnum? They are due for replacement and the shields have shrunk from the heat and I can not get the socket down in to remove them. I have pulled one out so far after fighting with it for hours, they do not just "pull out" and whoever thinks they so isn't running on all cylinders. I am going to try grinding down a socket next to see if it fits, just from a video I saw. I can not fight with each one of these heat shields, I'll never be able to remove the back four by the distributor. I don't want to take this to a shop just for spark plugs because they would charge me for just the time spent taking these damn shields off. If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated!!

Best way I found was to grab one right at the split with some needle nose vise grips. Twist the vise grip towards the gap and pull.

If they are stuck you may want to soak them with penetrating oil. I never had any issues getting mine out on my 5.9 Dakota.

I bet you could use a slide hammer on them if you have one in your tool box. That would probably work for the ones that face toward the front of the truck.

safetyfast

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 Laramie SLT 4x4 Club Cab
Engine
I pulled mine with vice grips too. The bad news is that I had two plugs so rusted in that they broke off and I had a terrible time getting them out. Hope yours aren’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I find it easier to use a long flathead screwdriver and a hammer. Tap the flathead in beteen the head and the shield all the way around and bend it in. They practically fall out and no yanking on junk

ouch1011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I've never had an issue removing them and i honestly have no idea howhthey would shrink. They are made of metal. Anyway, soaking them with a good penetrating oil like PB Blaster (not wd40) should help. If all else fails, bust out the torch.

OP
OP
RebelRam01

RebelRam01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I've never had an issue removing them and i honestly have no idea howhthey would shrink. They are made of metal. Anyway, soaking them with a good penetrating oil like PB Blaster (not wd40) should help. If all else fails, bust out the torch.

Something about the heat from the engine block..i have read numerous articles where it warps them and shrinks them and I guess magnums are known for it. I don't think a torch around spark plugs would be a good idea.

mikeymopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 3/4T
Engine
5.9L
I find it easier to use a long flathead screwdriver and a hammer. Tap the flathead in beteen the head and the shield all the way around and bend it in. They practically fall out and no yanking on junk
I know it's a bit of an old thread but wanted to praise your technique. Some PB Blaster for an hour, 15 minutes of pounding the circumference of the boot at the block (especially crushing the area at the slit making it smaller), and then a couple minutes of wiggling, it pulled out. Thanks!

Reactions: Mop

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I know it's a bit of an old thread but wanted to praise your technique. Some PB Blaster for an hour, 15 minutes of pounding the circumference of the boot at the block (especially crushing the area at the slit making it smaller), and then a couple minutes of wiggling, it pulled out. Thanks!
Thanks man! lol

BrandonOG59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Now I know this thread is a bit old but this was one of the first ones that popped up when I looked it up so my tips to anyone would be use some wd40 or pb blaster let sit for awhile then scrap all the rust around it then take a air hammer next to the slit and keep going in until you see the heat shield moving then just wiggle and pull it out with some Chanel locks or vice grips comes out easy had at least half out of the 8 come out no problem.