Spark plugs and anti seize?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

acolic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi

When changing the spark plugs on a 5.7 hemi do we use anti seize or not

Thanks

Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I personally have never used anti-seize on any 5.7 or 6.1 HEMI I have put plugs in. I started putting plugs in 5.7 trucks in early 2003 and to date I have never had any issues getting one out of a cylinder head.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I use a small dab on install.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't know on Hemi,, BUT DEFINITELY on my 2006 Honda GL 1800 wing

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes, a tiny amount. Don't over torque them either.

Good point. When using anti seize there is a tendency for people to overtorque bolts and snap them of if not using a torque wrench. happens with people replacing manifold bolts all the time. Slightly off topic but, for anyone wondering what's the danger of overtorquing with anti seize. Snap!

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good point. When using anti seize there is a tendency for people to overtorque bolts and snap them of if not using a torque wrench. happens with people replacing manifold bolts all the time. Slightly off topic but, for anyone wondering what's the danger of overtorquing with anti seize. Snap!

Hmmmmmmm, thought that was what a Torque wrench was. Maybe some folks need to understand how one works and follow directions, ROFLMAO. FWIW: I have seen people set a wrench say on 85 lbs, put on a bolt and tighten till it clicks. Then they tighten and click and etc etc, and sometimes change it to a higher number because THEY have no clue on a TW, sometimes almost funny, LOL

Why when I travel I carry a TW in case had to say change a tire,., so all good, maybe just me, as I's just a Boird.....

And I usually use lock tight on regular nuts and anti-seize on certain applications. BUT I am not gonna do the plugs on my Hemi, I will have Dealership do or a mechanic I trust,., getting too old to try to crawl halfway into engine bay to reach back set of plugs, Just saying, LOL

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hmmmmmmm, thought that was what a Torque wrench was. Maybe some folks need to understand how one works and follow directions, ROFLMAO. FWIW: I have seen people set a wrench say on 85 lbs, put on a bolt and tighten till it clicks. Then they tighten and click and etc etc, and sometimes change it to a higher number because THEY have no clue on a TW, sometimes almost funny, LOL

Why when I travel I carry a TW in case had to say change a tire,., so all good, maybe just me, as I's just a Boird.....

And I usually use lock tight on regular nuts and anti-seize on certain applications. BUT I am not gonna do the plugs on my Hemi, I will have Dealership do or a mechanic I trust,., getting too old to try to crawl halfway into engine bay to reach back set of plugs, Just saying, LOL

i carry a torque wrench under my back seat as well. And I too have seen pple click and click and click. Thinking it's going to click until it's right and then it won't? lol

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
Recently talked to a guy who couldn't figure out why he kept breaking intake manifold bolts...hemi intake bolt spec is 105in/lbs....wanna take a guess what he was doing....?
He set the torque wrench to 105 Newton Meters!!? (almost 10 times too much...)

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Recently talked to a guy who couldn't figure out why he kept breaking intake manifold bolts...hemi intake bolt spec is 105in/lbs....wanna take a guess what he was doing....?

Bet he was thinking Foot Lbs instead of converting, lmao

105 Inch-Pound (in∙lb)

=

8.75 Foot-Pound (ft∙lb)

BUT: 8.75 FT LBS ON A manifold bolt seems kinda low, just saying.....But a lil research shows the number 8.75 ft lbs is correct..... Wow

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
He set the torque wrench to 105 Newton Meters!!? (almost 10 times too much...)

No lol

Bet he was thinking Foot Lbs instead of converting, lmao

105 Inch-Pound (in∙lb)

=

8.75 Foot-Pound (ft∙lb)

BUT: 8.75 FT LBS ON A manifold bolt seems kinda low, just saying.....But a lil research shows the number 8.75 ft lbs is correct..... Wow

Yep....remember, these intake manifolds are plastic, not metal. Not gonna have a huge torque spec in order to seal properly.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OH, OK, well my bad, guess was thinking 67 Chevy cast, LMAO, did not know they were friggin Plastic, ROFLMAO

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah but high temp plastic.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
OH, OK, well my bad, guess was thinking 67 Chevy cast, LMAO, did not know they were friggin Plastic, ROFLMAO

plastic...not even aluminum. wow

Seriously...? You guys didn't know this? You both have engines with plastic manifolds and didn't know this? Bwahahahahahaha!!!! Ok, ok....most (not all) engines since about 99-00 use plastic intakes. The last Mopar engines (not including the beastly 6.2 or Cummins, since that's technically not a Mopar per se) with metal intake manifolds were the 4th gen Viper engine and 6.1 hemi. This is the intake manifold (the one on the bottom) residing in both your trucks:

DSC02131.JPG

The 4.7 has been plastic since it was created in 99, as was the 5.7 (both versions):

2949.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
91iSXXgrdqL._SL1500_.jpg

All pretty much look like this underneath:

91gZuAogueL._SL1500_.jpg

Excellent for thermal isolation, the plastic doesn't transmit nearly the amount of heat (especially with the insulation pad that sits in the valley underneath) a comparable iron or aluminum one does. Also allows for easier use of active runners (like the 5.7 eagle and 6.4/392 apache & truck versions) intakes.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I always used a very small dab of anti-sieze and ALWAYS use a torque wrench and tq them to spec. Dont forget to check/set gap too!