Speaker Baffles ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Not RAM related this time but new speaker going into my car!

What do you think about speaker baffles ?
How do the effect the sound ?
To cut a bottom opening to help with sound ?
I know they protect the speakers
Besides me installing and uninstalling just looking for first hand info
. I may do the radio and speaker upgrade in my RAM later this year so this will help me then as well !
Thank You

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
They will help reduce the resonance/vibration created by the back of the speaker cone and will provide a cushion between the speaker and the mounting surface.

Protects the speaker from dust & water intrusion and seals it up. They're not a bad idea if upgrading a stereo's speakers.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
The speakers will be a Upgrade , Thank You for your reply, Nice to hear from people who use them first hand or are Audio people
Thank You for your service.
In the NAVY I was in a Amphibious Assault Unit with the Marines 71/73

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
The baffles aren't a bad thing. When you add them to your build, you run the wire through the back, make sure you seal it around the wire too. Boom Mat looks to be a popular brand.

I had a GMC I turned into a SQ/SPL competition vehicle. The guys that built all the custom stuff in it, used a sound deadening matting that was different than Dynamat...it was adhesive backed, and used roller to press into all the seams/crevices, then they heated it to the recommended temperature and it "shrunk" and tightened causing the metal to not flex. It was really cool stuff, wish I could remember the name of it. The guys that did all the work, were amazing and creative.

I used to be really into the car audio scene for quite a few years. Stuff is so much more advanced now, I wouldn't know what is good anymore. Back in the day, I was running a Panasonic head unit that had an automatic opening/retracting screen DVD/CD player, w/ remote, Diamond Audio Hex component speakers (carbon fiber cones) and 12 Diamond Audio subwoofers (aluminum cones) and the amplifiers/Eq's were Crossfire for the components and subs. I had three AlumaPro 15 farad capacitors with an Red Top Optima in the bed of the truck to keep everything going with a 220amp upgraded alternator. I think I was over 9800 watts total. I'll see if I can find any of my old pics of the setup.

From what I've checked out, depending on what you are looking to do, speaker brands that are top end, are Focal, Morel, Hertz along with the other big names. I put a set of Pioneer 4 way 6x9's in my 1500 (front doors) when I started upgrading speakers after that first set I had conked out...(Hifonics which were pretty decent sounding).

Good luck with getting things put together for your upgrades.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
WOW some great info Thanks !
This set up is for my 11 y/o car! Not a daily just spare , Plus I use it a little more mow as it get 27+mpg lol
I went with POKE BB 652 Speakers from Crutchfield, They are 100$ a Pair on sale for 69$ a pair
I also got the install kit, which was the Baffles,wiring pig tail and spacers. The polks also came with spacers, did not kknow that lol But I did get Spacer made for the HHR so they fit like factory and no drilling needed to mount !
In simple terms Just a Low end system and the OEM Radio, For now and if I do upgrade the radio it will not be high end. As the car is maybe a 6k$ car lol so no need for a 3k$ system lol

As for the baffles on the Crutchfield site they mention if the base is not great cut a slot in the bottom of the baffles so the speakers move the air or soe=mething like that !

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
Polk Audio is a decent brand from what I remember. I would really like to her a set of Focals setup nice. Really interested in those to see how well the reproduce sound. That and Audiofrog brand. They are pretty nice looking and have good specs.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Focal I have heard of and Audiofrog I have not. But will add those to my list and if I like the POLKS Ill add them as well lol
I was on the Crutchfield sight again last night and my POLKS that were on sale for 69$ and back up to 99$ a pair . SO I finally got a deal lol My timing is usually late on items :O
Now for the weather here to stay out of the 30s so I can pop the plastic door panel on the car with out cracking anything .
The bad part is if I like the new speakers I may have to buy a new head unit to make it better lol !
Thank you for the education. I may be old but still like to learn new thing !

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Well got the 2 rear speakers in , Then got a bit over cast,So will do the fronts later !
But the POLKS sound good with just the rear speakers and OEM Radio ! So should be real sweet when I do the fronts lol
The METRA Mounting brackets were a direct fit, and the pigtails were nice to have !
Purchased them on sale from Crutchfield for 69$ a pair and now back to 99$ a pair, I finally caught a deal lol
IMO the nice thing about the baffles besides protection from moisture is I think deadens the base a little and I like that :)

Last edited:

mxsnow

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 BR V10,2005 DR Hemi,2015 DS Outdoorsman Hemi,2019 Bighorn Hemi.
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just finished my truck, 3 NVX 3 1/2 inchers in the dash, tried Polks but these were better, Morel 6.5's in all 4 doors, Hertz 25.3 tweeters overhead and a Pioneer sub with my 12 inch screen with Alpine, beautiful detailed sound now. Love soft dome tweeters.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Just finished my truck, 3 NVX 3 1/2 inchers in the dash, tried Polks but these were better, Morel 6.5's in all 4 doors, Hertz 25.3 tweeters overhead and a Pioneer sub with my 12 inch screen with Alpine, beautiful detailed sound now. Love soft dome tweeters.
Good to hear ! We can not get enough info on speakers and Head Units direct from people who use them :) So far liking my POLKS with the cones on them, I do have more high end sound and less base, Not sure that is the Polk speakers or because of the cones ! But the added protection to the cones from water is worth the trade off IMO.
Maybe One day when I get board I may pull the door panels and remove the cones to try w/o them L(

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good to hear ! We can not get enough info on speakers and Head Units direct from people who use them :) So far liking my POLKS with the cones on them, I do have more high end sound and less base, Not sure that is the Polk speakers or because of the cones ! But the added protection to the cones from water is worth the trade off IMO.
Maybe One day when I get board I may pull the door panels and remove the cones to try w/o them L(
One audio guy i watched said the higher the sensitivity, the less likely the bass. But im not sure about that. I love JBL's and their sensitivity is usually 90 to 93 and they have pretty good bass, especially the 6x9's.

There is a guy who compares speakers on Youtube. His channel is Life In Speed. Does various sizes and i used headphones to listen. Got to as any speaker wont sound good from your computer or phone.
Never heard of NVX or Hertz and havent seen those on his channel but i havent seen them all either.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One audio guy i watched said the higher the sensitivity, the less likely the bass. But im not sure about that. I love JBL's and their sensitivity is usually 90 to 93 and they have pretty good bass, especially the 6x9's.

There is a guy who compares speakers on Youtube. His channel is Life In Speed. Does various sizes and i used headphones to listen. Got to as any speaker wont sound good from your computer or phone.
Never heard of NVX or Hertz and havent seen those on his channel but i havent seen them all either.
Huh, never heard that one before.
High sensitivity only means you need less power (fewer watts) to drive the speaker to a certain SPL. You need more power/watts to drive a similar but less sensitive speaker to the same SPL.

Sensitivity has no affect on perceived sound quality.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Huh, never heard that one before.
High sensitivity only means you need less power (fewer watts) to drive the speaker to a certain SPL. You need more power/watts to drive a similar but less sensitive speaker to the same SPL.

Sensitivity has no affect on perceived sound quality.
He actually didnt say it effects sound quality, he said it typically has less lows but with an amp it isnt a big deal but some guys dont install an amp and dont need or want that car rattling bass. Here is the video starting sensitivity talk at 1:35

https://youtu.be/gjd-WAVCQdE

Last edited:

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He actually didnt say it effects sound quality, he said it typically has less lows but with an amp it isnt a big deal but some guys dont install an amp and dont need or want that car rattling bass. Here is the video starting sensitivity talk at 1:35

https://youtu.be/gjd-WAVCQdE
No effect on lows. Still stand by my statement. High efficiency speakers will hit the lows just as well, actually better as it takes less power to move them. They also will sound louder at a lower volume due to that.