Speaker replacements

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am going to upgrade my speakers and pretty much know what I'm getting just need a little info or confirmation. I know the rear speakers in my 2007 Quad Cab are 5.25" but have read that 6.5" will fit but may have to drill some holes depending on the brand.

Has anyone put 6.5" speakers on their rear doors and if so, what brand and did they fit right in? I'm likely going to be putting in JBL in front and rear.

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
absolutely 6.5 will fit. No issues. My pioneer's came with a mounting ring. 6x9's up front and 6.5 in the back. straight bolt on no mods needed. Got all of it from Crutchfield. Use their vehicle guide and it will show you what fits and what you need.

OP
OP
Rayzaa

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting finds in my research. I was thinking the factory radio and speakers were 2ohms and they are 4 ohms.

Speaking of Crutchfield above, i have a head unit picked out which is 4-8 ohms an been searching speakers and its been a bit tougher. The speakers i had picked out, the rating on them was only 2. Had to search some more.

In this time ....i really like JBL speakers and some i like are 3 ohms so was going to go with Rockford Fosgates which are 4ohms. I came across a video of a guy from Crutchfield talking about JBLs i liked and he said 3 ohms would work with a 4 ohm unit because of the factory wire being smaller and it would bring the resistance up to 4 ohms. Messaged him a couple questions to verify.

Has anybody had any issues using mismatched speakers and having heat issues? In this case i think ill be fine but experiences always help. May go with a small amp as well. Havent decided a ive read some peple saying the speakers work great without it and the Kenwood does have some built in power.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Thats the same deal with my infinity's. Speakers are 3 ohm with the wiring adding the additional ohm of impedance. Actually I think the JBL's and Infinity's are made by the same parent company. Mine sound AWESOME. Loud and clear.

OP
OP
Rayzaa

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thats the same deal with my infinity's. Speakers are 3 ohm with the wiring adding the additional ohm of impedance. Actually I think the JBL's and Infinity's are made by the same parent company. Mine sound AWESOME. Loud and clear.
They are the same company.

Good to hear you have no issues. Do you run an amp with yours?
I also learned that the dash speakers possibly could be 8 ohms so not to get over powered.

I see videos of people putting in 3.5" speakers and they think they are actual speakers and like how loud they are but they dont realise they are tweeters and supposed to be used as such unless you run them seperately from the front speakers....or you can use 4 ohm there as long as you put a resister AKA as bass blockers so they wont get blown out.

Last edited:

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Yeah I'm running two amps. I posted an install thread in this forum last year. One amp for the main speakers and one for the sub. All Infinity except the head unit which is Alpine. That way the infinity logos from the original audio all still match what's in it. My OCD in play.

I'm a bit of an audiophile. Believe me when I say it sounds awesome. Damagingly loud with no distortion.

Problem is, at least until I get my new tires, all of the ambient noise I was getting from the truck itself required me to turn it up so loud, it was too loud to enjoy. I've been on a mission to "stealth" (verb) the truck so I can actually enjoy the audio.
New air box, new AC compressor, trans service. It's a totally different beast now. Picking up new rims this weekend. Slapping new Defenders on and then only the 5" exhaust note will be there.

I replaced the windshield wiper unit today after work. I started it up after I was done and was shocked at how quiet it is now (Only the second time since replacing the snorkel). It's amazing how much noise a problem accessory or air intake can create.

I used components up front and did away with the center speaker. The stock set up is wired in a way that it takes the + from one side and the - from the other. The new setup doesn't need that center speaker.

OP
OP
Rayzaa

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So after lots of research, i am close to ordering my stuff for my stereo upgrade. Probably will do it next week sometime and after extensive reading i decided to take a look under the dash. I do not have any dash speakers in there lol. No wires there either so that decides me going with 3 way in the doors or a woofer. Going 3 way now which is fine.
I just want a better radio head unit so i can use Android Auto and have better sounding speakers and dont need an elaborate system. No amp going in either, just 4 new speakers.

OP
OP
Rayzaa

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Infinity's Refs front and rear went in today. Vast improvement.

Kenwood double DIN head unit is ordered but haven't got it yet. Gonna take a week :confused:

Later2u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hopefully the Kenwood is a shallow double din. Full size will be a chore to install.

OP
OP
Rayzaa

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hopefully the Kenwood is a shallow double din. Full size will be a chore to install.
It is shallow :D

I didn't use the Infinity grilles as we don't need them in our trucks so I put them on eBay just for the hec of it and I sold the 6x9 grilles for $20 lol.
Wasn't expecting it but you never know who needs new ones for whatever reason. I don't expect to sell the 6.5" though.

Last edited:

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Heck, I saved all of that and the stock speakers too when I did my install. I would have never even considered anyone would actually want them.

OP
OP
Rayzaa

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Heck, I saved all of that and the stock speakers too when I did my install. I would have never even considered anyone would actually want them.
I'm throwing out the stock speakers. Doubt anyone would want those. Never know as I've sold some things that my Wife has said "nobody will buy that" .....including these grilles lol.
Don't cost anything to list em If they don't sell but the stock speakers, forget it. Trash

Later2u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know what year RAM tour taking about, in the 2004 I didn't have to cut any metal brackets.