Spectre CAI and spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
So after looking at all the recommendations on intakes and reading all the reviews online, I finally decided to settle with the spectre cold air intake. I like the kit alot. It was a very simple install. Everyrhing fit perfectly. Even the dreaded intake temp sensor. Fit perfectly in the bottom half of our stock intake box and helps protect from water. The only problem I had was not realizing the worm screw holding the filter and cone to the flex tube could have been ceanked a lot more. It fell off and then I really cranked the worm screw down and it hasn't since.

I decided to go with champion double platinum plugs. And I changed them out when I took the intake off. This was all a fun project. My plugs were literally shot... burnt the tip almost completely off each one.

The combination of both of these lead to a huge difference in throttle response, power, and fuel economy. I was definitely having some misfires... because I averaged about 11.1 mpg on the highway drive up to school and back and what not. Driving up to school today with the intake and plugs... I got a whopping 15mpg average! Huge score in mpg for me! And keep in mind this is completely untuned as well!!

not to mention, with the truck breathing easier and firing properly, it made a huge difference in the sound of my exhaust!

Here is a pic of one of the bette plugs that came out of my truck!

Attachments

• 20140305_192327.jpg
    20140305_192327.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 184

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Jeez. Those are LONG past due, quite possibly stockers.

OP
OP
LS5DodgeRam

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
Yeah lol as im changing them im.literally thinking wow I should have done sooo long ago!

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Might wanna look into a better cone filter. The Spectre ones have been know to let junk past it.

OP
OP
LS5DodgeRam

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
Its fine for now ill maybe get a knn or a aem dry filter when its due.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's fine til you suck up **** you don't wanna suck up

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
If you can't swing a new cone then get a filter wrap to try to help it out.

SKorch630

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram 1500
Engine
Bumping an old thread here, but road dirt.. Salt, dust, dirt particles all are sucked through the intake slot into the filter. Most filters do a pretty good job filtering it out, but some of the more inexpensive ones have a tendency to not pick it up as well. Ultimately leading to that stuff being caked onto your engine. Honestly, I really wouldn't worry.. A simple paper filter filters just fine for 99% of cars on the road. Just be sure to check it at regular intervals and see how it's holding up! You'll be fine..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
This is what came on my 07 when I purchased it last year. I plan to replace it with a K&N CAI kit. This one pulls air from both sides of the engine compartment. When running the AC the cold air is defeated from the drivers side. I think I have a Spectre dual inlet CAI system.

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 701

M&Ms4D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How many miles did you have on your plugs LS5DodgeRam? Did you have any issues with them coming out? I am about to change mine and I know mine are way way way overdue.

OP
OP
LS5DodgeRam

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
i had about 80000 miles on my truck at the time i did them. just rust really everything else was fine. took a bit of a tug to start them because they have been in there for so long.

OP
OP
LS5DodgeRam

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
This is what came on my 07 when I purchased it last year. I plan to replace it with a K&N CAI kit. This one pulls air from both sides of the engine compartment. When running the AC the cold air is defeated from the drivers side. I think I have a Spectre dual inlet CAI system. I planned to include a photo but it didn't work.

hmmm i dont know what you would have then, its interesting though, i never thought spectre makes a double intake system, i know some ebay look alikes do though maybe that's what you have with a spectre fitler? i dont know. the only thing is with the k&n it made it hard for my budddy to check and add or change the oil in his truck, thats kind of why i also went with spectre.

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have always had a K&N filter of some kind on all of my vehicles including my motorcycles. I ordered a new K&N CAI Kit from Amazon for my truck yesterday, and it should be here next week. I just don't like the idea of a cold air intake that draws part of the air off the hot AC condenser.

OP
OP
LS5DodgeRam

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
Mine doesnt it actually uses the bottom part of the factory filter box

OP
OP
LS5DodgeRam

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
This is what came on my 07 when I purchased it last year. I plan to replace it with a K&N CAI kit. This one pulls air from both sides of the engine compartment. When running the AC the cold air is defeated from the drivers side. I think I have a Spectre dual inlet CAI system.

That may be someones own creation. Spectre makes some universal intake tubes. We used a couple on my buddies jetta to make an intake for himself. The coupler I see is from spectre but u dont think that is a pre manudactured part from spectre. I did a lot of research on this company before I did any purchase

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The silicone boot that connects the CAI to the TB is blue and has Spectre written on it. I checked their website, Google, and Yahoo and I couldn't find this type. I even went to Ebay and no dice. My guess is it may be a unit that was discontinued a long time ago.

Attachments

• IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 47

SKorch630

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram 1500
Engine
The fact is... 99% of CAIs are not as efficient as the stock airbox. There's a reason why manufacturers don't put cone filters in to begin with. Trust me, if there was, it would be put on there, and it would effect the purchase price. You can check IATs and I bet you they won't be as cold as the stock airbox. I've done EXTENSIVE research on CAIs for the 4 Audi's I've owned, and IATs were never as impressive unless heavily modifying, and at that point, it was not cost efficient. The truth of the matter is they serve one purpose: sound. They sound incredible!

OP
OP
LS5DodgeRam

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
they have a higher flow than the stock intake though... less restriction. but is that why volant is supposed to be great? because they have an actual box style intake?

SKorch630

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram 1500
Engine
A closed box design is certainly going to help IATs, and keep the hotter temps away from the intake. That's precisely the goal. You'll notice some people tuck the piping and filter way down low, almost near the bumper, to get those colder temps while driving. That's key. I just haven't ever been a fan of dumping the intake that low incase I am up to my doors in mud or water. Defeats the purpose of an intake then ;) I suppose if I'm going to be up that high in water, you're better off having a snorkel, but that's a completely different ball game. Needless to say, the idea of my perfect intake is a closed box design with some heat shielding to reduce intake temps and lower IATs