Spectre Cold Air Intake Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J-Dub

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a Spectre CAI off Amazon for $175. Installation was a breeze. Everything fit together nicely and I really like the use of the bottom portion of the factory air box compared to the K&N setup I had on my previous truck with the Hemi. This CAI really pulls some air and you can hear it during normal acceleration. I have the 3.21 gears and it seems like I'm getting into 8th gear easier and staying in it more on hills than before. I live on a hilly windy road. Not sure about an mpg increase yet. I'll have to run a few tanks through it. Overall a really nice upgrade to the factory setup.

Attachments

• IMG_20220115_121201196_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220115_121201196_HDR.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20220115_121152884_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220115_121152884_HDR.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20220115_121146205.jpg
    IMG_20220115_121146205.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 42

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I bought a Spectre CAI off Amazon for $175. Installation was a breeze. Everything fit together nicely and I really like the use of the bottom portion of the factory air box compared to the K&N setup I had on my previous truck with the Hemi. This CAI really pulls some air and you can hear it during normal acceleration. I have the 3.21 gears and it seems like I'm getting into 8th gear easier and staying in it more on hills than before. I live on a hilly windy road. Not sure about an mpg increase yet. I'll have to run a few tanks through it. Overall a really nice upgrade to the factory setup.
I know Spectre is supposed to be the bargain brand but from the pictures it looks much better than the K&N I had.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently put an Injen cai on my 2019 classic. I actually looked at the Spectre but I wanted a closed system. There were some noticeable improvements in performance initially but that all went away after 1,000 miles once the computer reset itself.

Absolutely no improvement in mpg, but I didn’t expect any.

So, now it runs exactly as original which is what I really expected. But it looks neat. Enjoy!!

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
I had that exact one (Spectre) on my 2017 gen 4. Ran it for a couple years and only recently sold it to a member on here. It was a good fit, easy in and off if needed for warranty etc and sounded good on acceleration.
They are relatively cheap and good quality materials.
You will like it, a lot

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
CAI can actually ruin your engine if they are not designed right and there is honestly no improvement in HP or performance with one, especially an open one, so many things can go wrong like the intake sucking in water more easily ...

Unless you have a tuner with the CAI I wouldn't even waste my money on one ....

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
CAI can actually ruin your engine if they are not designed right and there is honestly no improvement in HP or performance with one, especially an open one, so many things can go wrong like the intake sucking in water more easily ...

Unless you have a tuner with the CAI I wouldn't even waste my money on one ....
I agree that cai systems don’t do much but I cannot agree that they can “ruin” an engine. Also, on a Ram, water could not get into the intake unless the truck is under water. In the process of personalizing our trucks, we certainly waste a lot of money.

I put wheel well flares on my Ram, and I thought they would not do a darn thing. Surprisingly, they do help to keep road grime off the sides of the truck. Otherwise, a complete waste of money. Lots of guys hate them, but I like the look. But it’s my money so who cares??

1642346063504.jpeg

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I have MOPAR's version of the Cai. on my HEMI.

I like the looks and easy to clean the reusable air filter but I can't tell much difference in performance all though it's supposed to add an increase to hp/torq. ... also, inmo it's overpriced but that is how it goes when purchasing a brand name MOPAR performance goody.

JHoward

Attachments

• IMG_20220110_144828265.jpg
    IMG_20220110_144828265.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks good. I didn’t know mopar had a cai.

Gregdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree that cai systems don’t do much but I cannot agree that they can “ruin” an engine. Also, on a Ram, water could not get into the intake unless the truck is under water. In the process of personalizing our trucks, we certainly waste a lot of money.

I put wheel well flares on my Ram, and I thought they would not do a darn thing. Surprisingly, they do help to keep road grime off the sides of the truck. Otherwise, a complete waste of money. Lots of guys hate them, but I like the look. But it’s my money so who cares??

View attachment 482831
I put flares on my old Sport because I couldn’t stand this.

Attachments

• C909BB05-17BC-4EF1-AC28-37F26B1E3460.jpeg
    C909BB05-17BC-4EF1-AC28-37F26B1E3460.jpeg
    261.7 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s

Yeep your money who cares, another one who doesn't seem to be able to take advice from personal experiences as just that, "advice" ...

Believe what you want, but CAI "CAN" indeed ruin your engine and very quickly ....

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put flares on my old Sport because I couldn’t stand this.

Depends on where you live. Up here we call them Rust flares. No one puts them on. We rather live with MUD on our trucks
:cool:

Some of you guys sure have it easy in the southern states.

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pretty sure California dosent have -50 and Salt to deal with 4-6 month of the year... lol...

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I had that exact one (Spectre) on my 2017 gen 4. Ran it for a couple years and only recently sold it to a member on here. It was a good fit, easy in and off if needed for warranty etc and sounded good on acceleration.
They are relatively cheap and good quality materials.
You will like it, a lot

Why'd you take it off, Clive?

I installed an S&B. They claim on their website the flow resistance is reduced double digit % from stock, flow-bench tested. Not sure what ECM does over time, whether it "resets" or whatever. ECM is set for air-fuel ratios based on MAP sensor in the intake and O2 sensor in the exhaust, but reduced pumping losses are always more beneficial on the air induction side for naturally-aspirated engines. Probably doesn't pay for itself, but I like the idea of optimized air induction.

On the other end, exhaust restriction reduction doesn't yield any performance benefit (maybe some small mpg also) because the pressure delta is so high from combustion. Engine Masters recently tested a Hemi with various restricted exhausts and documented this. They also showed a ~10% torque increase when long tube headers with collector installed. That was the only exhaust treatment that added performance - and not because of reduced exhaust flow restriction - it's because of exhaust pulse tuning that scavanges exhaust gases better, and "pulls" fresh air in.

S&B Filter Installed.jpg

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

View attachment 482831
YEP, if it works for U, great. The flares are nice. If U ask, I am sure a lot of folks here will assist U in spending your money also !!! :anitoof:

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
Hemimann,
In response to you queries?
I took it off because I sold the truck. Well, part ex for new one, May 2021and they told me I needed to go back to stock. Okay I said, I have the old stuff in bed, give me 15mins…….
And that’s what I did! CAI off, original bits on. Job done!
It won’t fit my new etorque anyway!