Speedo gauge vs digital readout different

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HemiTick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Anyone expierience two slightly different speeds. My digital reads 55 my gauge reads 53?? I just bought truck. It's a 2013 sport cc with 5.7. It was previously a Canadian vehicle of that makes any difference. My thoughts is that it wasn't converted properly to mph from kph.

Thanks for any help

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine reads the same. The only thing I have noticed is my digital speedometer and my cruise control might be off by a MPH every once in a while. If I turn the cruise off and then back on they match up again.

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's normal. It's also technically not the real speed, as if you would measure it with GPS. there are so many influencing factors in the game, that there is a variation.
has to do with the resistors, transistors, microchip, wire resistance from speed sensor to computer, speed sensor, even temperature or wheel diameter- yes- even profile is a factor.
I see this in mine too, where - for my eyes- it seems like the analog instrument shows 1mph higher than the digital gauge. now- I can't say that the digital reads for example 70,95 mph - it just shows 70.
I would not see it as an issue. Also- the difference if you have km/h is lot higher than in mph. There is also the tolerance which says on full scale the speed can have a variation of 10%. this means up to 7km/h / 3mph difference is very good. Would be too much to go into detail. I hope that's ok.
I don't look that specific to the instrument. and since I love the center display, I rarely look at the analog instrument- only when the display shows me for my feelings 10 minutes, that I turned off my cruise control.
I would not worry.

Last edited:

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Are you looking at the analog speedometer dead on from an adjusted right position or from a centered position as you would normally drive? If the latter, there is a slight parallax effect that would make the needle look lower than it actually is.

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you looking at the analog speedometer dead on from an adjusted right position or from a centered position as you would normally drive? If the latter, there is a slight parallax effect that would make the needle look lower than it actually is.

or so. :favorites13:

OP
OP
HemiTick

HemiTick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for replies.

I looked at it several different angles. Don't think it's a "parallax"?

I doubt I'll use gauge much anyway.

Off topic from gauge the, is it normal to be able to move shifter from drive to reverse without pushing a button or something? I Need to push brake in to get it out of park after that I can just throw it anywhere?

KiloHotel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same issue at 80 on the digital it's about 77 on the Speedo. But the digital matches my Garmin GPS exactly! I also have a Canadian truck in Texas...

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have never seen any difference with my truck's speedometer and the EVIC display. Neither one is a mechanical feed and they sure aren't getting two different electronic feeds. I would bet that having the EVIC set to display MPH instead of KPH is the problem. Switch it back to displaying KPH and does it match up then?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trcgdb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ram 1500 quad cab
Engine
Eco diesel
my 2015 sometimes has a major difference between digital and analogue...
just bought it used with 12000 miles.
Noticed a 2-3 mph difference, the digital being higher. A couple times it has be 10-12 difference and one day the analogue didn't work at all.

14RAM1500BG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same issue here. Mine is almost 4 mph off. Did anyone find out the issue?

14RAM1500BG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nobody figure it out? I also have a Canadian truck. I wonder if it has anything to do with that? I`m going to compare to my gps but I`m pretty sure the digital mph is the one off.

vweaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just bought a '16 Ram 1500 last night, and on the long drive home I noticed a 4 mph difference. Not sure which is wrong yet, I downloaded a GPS speedometer app today to test it later.

Does anyone know if any/most repair shops or dealers can fix this? I saw a video online where a guy used a 'yellow box' to re-calibrate his speedometer, but I guess the thing costs $100+ which is more than I would spend for a speedometer problem, not to mention the time).

raptor4life660r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014 2500 from Canada and its about 4mph off at 70mph as well. It drives me bonkers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

WhoaBuddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Same issue here. 2014 3500 LIMITED SRW - Canadian origin. Canadian factory must be the issue? Digital reads 4-5 higher @ 70mph. Analog is correct. WTF?

Journeyman83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting notes. My 2017 Sport is about 3mph off and is Canadian. Given that these are all controlled by electronics, you'd think you could adjust a config here or there a few mph...

garycan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Journey
Engine
6 Liter
2012 Dodge Journey also Canadian vehicle have a 10 mph difference has anyone found out what the cause or if a fix ?