Speedometer Oddity...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B250

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L V8 MFI
Any suggestions for my speedometer problem would be appreciated

If the van hasn't been run for a few days or so the speedometer will flick from 0mph to 100mph and back a few times before settling down to the correct speed (although it still 'vibrates' slightly for a few seconds more)

I have only noticed it since the damp weather started this Fall. My instinct is there is a short caused by moisture somewhere behind the dashboard.

In hot dry weather, the speedometer sticks on 0mph until the plastic fascia is tapped, but that I can deal with, and I have the same issue with another (GM) vintage car.

Both problems only happen after first start when the van has been left standing for a while.

What bothers me about the flicking problem is that it sounds like a relay behind the speedometer is switching on and off in time with each 'flick'

What relay is behind there? The only relays I can find are under the hood. Maybe the voltage spikes caused by the relay switching are causing the speedometer flicking

Other people have suggested the battery is getting old and tired, but it is only ~1 year old and still under warranty - and there are solar panels on the roof which keep the battery charged up

Any ideas? I know that dry solder joints can cause problems on electronic speedometers but I've re-soldered everything I can find! Is it possible that water is seeping in somewhere and shorting something? It seems to happend in damp weather