Spider gears wont go in limited slip diff. Please Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EmberheartParts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

So I snapped off a few lug nuts after a ubolt failed on my axle. I removed the diff cover and tried to unclip the C-Clips to release the axle so I could get the new lugs in. While I was trying to get them out the spider gears fell out of the assembly. I set them aside and kept trying to get the C clips out.

No matter how hard I push the axles in I cannot get enough clearance to get the C clips out. The limited slip is so tight that I cant seem to move it at all. The Limited slip clutch just will not retract enough to get the C clips out.

I gave up and ended up drilling a hole in my brake dust cover for the lugs. (I'm a welder/fabricator no biggie to patch)

Now that i have the lugs on I need to get the spider gears back in, but for the life of me I cant get the limited slip clutch to retract enough to get the spider gears back in. I've tried prying it open, yanking on tires to pull axle shafts tight, parked a truck on either side and used ratchet straps to pull axles away from the center. Lubed it all with gear oil and still I just cant get it to open enough to get the gears back in.

I called a few shops and they said if the clutch plates were that stiff they were probably bad. Does anyone have any tips for getting them off, so I can remove the C clips, swap out the clutch pads, and put the spider gears back on, on my work table?

Local shops are quoting me 200-450 to fix it. For that much I'd rather get it out with force and just upgrade to a locker.

Any help would be appreciated

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In the video, I can see the clip that holds the clutch pack. If you rotate the carrier 180 degrees, is there a clip on the other side too? Is the clutch pack aligned properly?