Split backing plates replacement for rusted originals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

salarguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So my rear backing plates(stone sheilds) are rusted to the extent that they will no longer anchor my parking brake shoes. Some vehicles have a split version of the backing plates so you don't have to pull the axles. Anyone know if they are available in the aftermarket for Gen 4 Rams?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So my rear backing plates(stone sheilds) are rusted to the extent that they will no longer anchor my parking brake shoes. Some vehicles have a split version of the backing plates so you don't have to pull the axles. Anyone know if they are available in the aftermarket for Gen 4 Rams?
I've never seen them,but if your backing plates are that rusted out,you're probably due for new axles seals ,and you have to pull the axles to replace them anyways.

OP
OP
S

salarguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I installed new sure grip, new seals and bearings July 2022. At that point they seemed fine. Last month the shoe hold downs failed and the shoes started scraping. Backing plates were toast. Less than 100,000 miles. They should be at least galvanized!

Last edited: