Spohn Rear Adjustable Control Arms Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
About a month ago, I installed a BT 2/4 drop kit and Spohn adj. panhard, adjustable upper and lower control arms. I wanted to share what the control arms did for my truck.

First, I got some movement in the axle on acceleration and deceleration, and I found out that the pu bushings that came standard on the Spohn control arms where moving around and causing the clunking. So after only 300 miles on them, I replaced the pu bushings with the Delrin bushings from Spohn (additional $6.75 each x8). BTW, the Delrin bushings are hard as rock!

Here are my impressions:

1. Ofcourse, I adjusted them to center my axle, which helps both the appearance and to prevent/reduce wheel hop.

2. They allow very little motion in the rear end. It is so tight now, it feels more like a sports car.

3. I can actually feel the firmness even in shifting, the shifts are firmer and less sloppy or bouncy (if that makes any sense).

4. There is a noticeable difference in acceleration, too. It feels a little more responsive with less of a spongy feel. Also, the engine braking is a little more abrupt (not in a bad way, a little bit more like a down shift in a manual).

So I got rid of the cushy-comfy feel from the factory control arms, and I am VERY happy with the Sphons!

:Rock on:

Attachments

• Spohn Control Arms.jpg
    Spohn Control Arms.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 399
  • Spohn Delrin Bushings.jpg
    Spohn Delrin Bushings.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 205
  • DelSphere Pivot Joint.jpg
    DelSphere Pivot Joint.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:

RTS001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's amazing what bushings can do. They can really transform the ride of a vehicle. I used to do this when changing the suspension on all my sports cars, really let's you feel the road your on!

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exactly bro! I am surprised at the difference they made.

Last edited:

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Where did you get them installed? good review BTW.

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thanks now i know who to go to for this.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is all good info! Thanks for posting a helpful review.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damn it now I want to spend more money lol wife is going to hate me.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My pleasure!
Later today, I am going to post pictures of the oem control arm and bushing vs the Spohns.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn it now I want to spend more money lol wife is going to hate me.

Lol! I won't tell if you won't tell! ;)

They cost more than the Belltech lowering kit. :( But definitely worth it.

$285 upper adj
$295 lower adj
$64 for upgraded Delrin bushings

Last edited:

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
hey nothing wrong with spending a little money on a quality part. I say the 600 bones would be worth it for sure.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^ Totally agree. I am very happy I got them, and even more happy I upgraded to the Delrin bushings.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
After our talk I got in touch with them over these. I've got the 'older' style of arm that was just a urethane bushing on each end so I've now got the a set of bushings on order plus I'm upgrading one end of the joint to their new del-sphere joint which will reduce the friction on one end of the joint; should be good enough to reduce the noise level as well as add some better movement of the arms if I get it out on the road course.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After our talk I got in touch with them over these. I've got the 'older' style of arm that was just a urethane bushing on each end so I've now got the a set of bushings on order plus I'm upgrading one end of the joint to their new del-sphere joint which will reduce the friction on one end of the joint; should be good enough to reduce the noise level as well as add some better movement of the arms if I get it out on the road course.

Cool bro! That's what I have as well, Del-Sphere on axle mount and Delrin on frame mount.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on these! :)

Edit: BTW, the Del-Sphere joints come with a little tool to tighten them, if they wear or loosen over time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know I am getting a little OCD with these control arms... but check out this comparison.

Considering the rather important purpose they serve, do you guys think the factory control arms seem a little crude and un-impressive??

Attachments

• Spohn CA vs OEM.JPG
    Spohn CA vs OEM.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 260
  • Spohn Control Arms.jpg
    Spohn Control Arms.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Close-up.

If the sleeve doesn't look round, that is because it isn't. This came off my truck.

Attachments

• Control Arm Oem.jpg
    Control Arm Oem.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I know I am getting a little OCD with these control arms... but check out this comparison.

Considering the rather important purpose they serve, do you guys think the factory control arms seem a little crude and un-umpressive??

Not at all. The oem arms are perfectly suited for the general requirements of 95% of drivers who want comfort and durability. The oem bushings absorb a lot of the small vibrations and weight transfer resulting in a smoother ride where a lot more of that stuff is transfered into the frame with a harder bushing. It's people like you and I that want improved performance and are willing to sacrifice some ride comfort to get it.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's true. I sold my Porsche to get the Ram, so I am no stranger to a lack of comfort for improved performance! Lol!