Sport Hood Bezel LEDs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DoughRat19

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is my latest harness. The two connectors on the right connect to the bezel I made. One connector is power and ground for the white lights and the other is power and ground for the amber lights. I haven’t completed the T section of the harness yet as I have to add the switchback drivers there (will connect the long harness to the smaller one. The small harness will plug between the headlight and headlight turn signal/parking lamp wiring (I have quad headlight wiring, projectors would use different connectors). Once I have the driver I should be good to go.

Attachments

• A9CF3F5B-4794-43E7-8BEF-5AC40284435F.jpeg
    A9CF3F5B-4794-43E7-8BEF-5AC40284435F.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
DoughRat19

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is one of the bezels

Attachments

• B11C4A6F-97C1-4A77-BDE7-3ECC0280CEC0.jpeg
    B11C4A6F-97C1-4A77-BDE7-3ECC0280CEC0.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 14
  • EBC86913-AF24-4257-8039-DF1DFDD65EB9.jpeg
    EBC86913-AF24-4257-8039-DF1DFDD65EB9.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 13

RaptorHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500HD
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Be careful, red and or blue lights are illegal in some states! That is if they are not tail lights or headlights and you are not a responder--bad..

Otherwise its a nifty idea...

OP
OP
DoughRat19

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Be careful, red and or blue lights are illegal in some states! That is if they are not tail lights or headlights and you are not a responder--bad..

Otherwise its a nifty idea...
That’s why I only did white lights the first time around. Not looking for trouble. This time around Im going with white and amber. Amber only functions with the turn signal so shouldn't be a problem.

GiJoeFontaine

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just registered for this! I finally found somebody actively working on this.. every other post I have been finding has been from years ago.. I just ordered my vents so I don't frak up the ones in my truck but I have not ordered the LEDs yet.. figured I'd give the dremel some attention before I frustrate myself with the tiny little lights.
I'm going to end up doing an Amber strip in the mid for Turn/Haz if I can figure it out.
A strip for turn signal is smart! Run pos of pos to signal and voila!
Crazy enough it may just work….

OP
OP
DoughRat19

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My switchback drivers are finally arriving today so I will hopefully be able to finish up my install tomorrow!

OP
OP
DoughRat19

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My harnesses are done, now just gotta pull the headlights to install them. Not sure if I’ll be able to get to it tomorrow or not. We’re supposed to get some snow but we’ll see.

Attachments

• 78229A92-54C1-45F8-AFBD-34B4B6B93803.jpeg
    78229A92-54C1-45F8-AFBD-34B4B6B93803.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 17

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can think of a great way for someone to earn some side cash from 4th Gen Ram owners who may not have your knowledge or dexterity..eerrrhhmmm..LOL

Dan90

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7L Hemi
This is awesome. Nice work! Looks great.

OP
OP
DoughRat19

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Finally finished up today. I have my parking lights set as my DRLs so when Inout the truck in gear, the amber lights turn on. When my headlights go on the bezels turn white. And when I put my blinker on, if the white bezel lights are on, they drop out and the amber lights blink. Once the turn signal is turned off, the white lights come back on. I’ll try to take another video when it is darker out but here is my video from today.

Last edited:

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I will try an extra set of bezels with those under dash LED strips and see what that looks like and what functions can be tied into them like yours.

SCARECROW860

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been trying to find the hood vents but I keep finding them for 2017+ even tho I keep specifying its for a 2012 truck.
I tried to pop the 2017+ version into place but the tabs are not the same and didn't sit right in the slot.

Salty Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My harnesses are done, now just gotta pull the headlights to install them. Not sure if I’ll be able to get to it tomorrow or not. We’re supposed to get some snow but we’ll see.
Would you mind posting "how" you made the harness and how it was connected to make the install complete. I was watching this thread and had to travel and am back home and have a good amount of "goodies" in the spare room but want to do this too while I'm working on the other lights and such. The cables look professional and would love to be able to mirror this if everything works properly. My switch pod is arriving today so I'kk hopefully be in the garage doing some initial work this weekend.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am a few months late to the party here. But I ordered all the ladies waiting for them to come in. And then I ordered the bezels also waiting on those. Less than $30 Canadian that’s pretty awesome. I’m debating whether I want to run them all the time or not and how great they are going to be. I’m wondering if there’s a way I can put in a resistor or something so that their lit but not Max brightness anybody have any ideas?
Technically, that is exactly how you would do it. But you need to size the resistor for the load. A single LED, or even just a couple would be fine on a standard 1/4w resistor. But for the number OP seems to have... You would be in the multi-watt range. (oversizing isn't a bad thing, undersizing is. But going too large would be expensive. And take up a lot of room.

You should look for one of those metal encased ones (usually orange anodized, or bare aluminum), and mount it to the frame somewhere, with some kind of thermal interface material, to help the resistor burn off the extra heat.

The exact size of the resistor would have to be calculated based on your preference. There are LED resistor calculators online. But basically there is a balance of the resistance and the wattage required. Or you could get real crazy, and get some kind of mosfet based solution, and make it adjustable... But then you risk getting real crazy, and adding an arduino...

And then you graduate with an electrical engineering degree, and a new hobby...

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@DoughRat19 Real late at this point, but do you remember by chance if the back of the vent is flat? Thinking this might be worth doing it as a PCB...

OP
OP
DoughRat19

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@DoughRat19 Real late at this point, but do you remember by chance if the back of the vent is flat? Thinking this might be worth doing it as a PCB...
I believe it is mostly flat. I think there are some manufacturing markings on them if I remember correctly.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Somewhere there's a thread on this idea from quite awhile ago,and the guy used a belt sander to sand the back of the inserts totally flat to open up the holes in the inserts,and he made a PCB board that he glued to the back of the inserts.Not sure where i seen the thread though,might of been on here,or might have been on another forum page,as it was several years ago i seen the thread