Spray over factory bed liner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjscharlotte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
Hey guys,
I've got a 2017 Ram with the factory spray in bed liner. There really isn't any "damage" to it but its faded so I want to freshen it up. I've installed a BakFlip MX4 hard tonneau cover so it will be protected from weather and sun. I don't really carry anything besides some camping stuff or stuff I take to the beach. Obviously, I want something that will be able to stick to an existing liner and not "bleed" color if I have clothes back there. I have seen Rustoleum Bed Liner and PlastiKote 264 bed liner. Does anyone have any experience with either of those - or something else that I could use? TIA

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm another vote for a bedrug,i've had the Mopar version in my last 2 trucks. I have the factory spray in liner under the bedrug.

IMG_4000.JPG

IMG_4001.JPG

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Last edited:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just respray with a dusting of flat black spray paint. It's worked well on all 3 trucks I've done it with. Light coat and it's dark black and looking like new again. For gouges I use a spray can of this to repair it first.IMG_20210325_1141469.jpg

slinghigh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hey guys,
I've got a 2017 Ram with the factory spray in bed liner. There really isn't any "damage" to it but its faded so I want to freshen it up. I've installed a BakFlip MX4 hard tonneau cover so it will be protected from weather and sun. I don't really carry anything besides some camping stuff or stuff I take to the beach. Obviously, I want something that will be able to stick to an existing liner and not "bleed" color if I have clothes back there. I have seen Rustoleum Bed Liner and PlastiKote 264 bed liner. Does anyone have any experience with either of those - or something else that I could use? TIA
plasticote is a silicone base durable...would it stick to the the spray you have...idk

TheDirtyJester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey guys,

My best experience has been with herculiner. It’s non slip. And tough stuff. It is a little pricey at $160 cdn for a gallon. Which will do a 6’ box. They sell it as a roll on liner kit. But since it is xylene based we just put about 10% xylene in and mixed it right up and my sprayer sprayed it no problem. We sprayed it on the box of my dads side by side which he uses for gravel loads and firewood and stuff so it’s been put to the test fairly well. It still looks like the day we sprayed it and that was roughly 2 yrs ago. These pics are after the first coat and it was still wet. So the glossiness does go away a bit. But anyway. That’s what I would recommend.

D2A3BAE5-ACD4-4D16-A63F-BF56636D2539.jpeg

9186F69F-FA02-4233-B801-1CC01AC612EA.jpeg

DDBD3D53-3A96-4C64-A421-727403D983A4.jpeg

Bill Blackmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 97 with a rhino lining bed liner. It is red like my truck. They make a coating that you brush on and it makes the bed look like new. The coating comes in several colors. i refresh my bed every spring and it always looks great. you might want to check them out.

tul9033

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Or got the 139 buck route and get a Bedrug.

Is that for the full coverage version? If so where did you get it?
I may be SOL, I have the RamBoxes.

Last edited:

Bill Blackmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Google rhino lininga website and they have it listed for sale. if you have any doubts give them a call. they are friendly and will be very helpful.