Spyder LED taillights and Diesel LED backup bulbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I got these in today, and no need for pics because there's plenty already, but just wanted to add a bit to the review. I'm definitely keeping them, because you don't appreciate how ghetto the incandescent stockers look at night until you have LEDs next to them. It really makes the truck look so much more modern! BUT, there are a few concerns:

1) You'll notice on the stock taillamps, when you view the truck from the side profile, there is a cutout where the bulb is so that you can see it blinking or braking from the side. These lack this completely, however, I'm not really worried because from the side the front blinker and my mirror blinkers are very visible.

2) And I should have taken a picture but mine do NOT look like the advertised ones on the website where it has two resistor boxes in black (see below), mine is one resistor box in naked metal:
61cdzy8P+PL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

3) The stock reverse light is diffused, but this one is not its pure clear. That means you see whatever LED bulb you have in there, and in the case of the one I used its making a radial banded light pattern due to the LEDs I have. Diffused light would have been nicer. These are the bulbs I bought for $10 back in 2019, and I think I'm just going to upgrade them to bulbs that have a diffuser built into them as the fix.

Capture.JPG

Edit: I ordered these replacement reverse LEDs w/ a diffuser built into them:

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So I got these in today, and no need for pics because there's plenty already, but just wanted to add a bit to the review. I'm definitely keeping them, because you don't appreciate how ghetto the incandescent stockers look at night until you have LEDs next to them. It really makes the truck look so much more modern! BUT, there are a few concerns:

1) You'll notice on the stock taillamps, when you view the truck from the side profile, there is a cutout where the bulb is so that you can see it blinking or braking from the side. These lack this completely, however, I'm not really worried because from the side the front blinker and my mirror blinkers are very visible.

2) And I should have taken a picture but mine do NOT look like the advertised ones on the website where it has two resistor boxes in black (see below), mine is one resistor box in naked metal:
View attachment 492135

3) The stock reverse light is diffused, but this one is not its pure clear. That means you see whatever LED bulb you have in there, and in the case of the one I used its making a radial banded light pattern due to the LEDs I have. Diffused light would have been nicer. These are the bulbs I bought for $10 back in 2019, and I think I'm just going to upgrade them to bulbs that have a diffuser built into them as the fix.

View attachment 492136

Edit: I ordered these replacement reverse LEDs w/ a diffuser built into them:
I think you'll like it better once you get a different bulb. The reverse lights on these where way better than stock. I used these (in cargo too). I'm pretty sure I saw them recommended on Boosted Motorsports' YouTube channel...

Yorkim 912 921 LED Bulb, Backup Light Bulbs High Power 2835 15-SMD Chipsets Extremely Bright Error Free T15 906 W16W for Back Up, Reverse, Tail, Brake Lights, 6000K White, Pack of 4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L3M9ORS/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_J144F6Y9KXF7X4634TTD

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I got these in with the diffuser that are also not so tall, but alas the reverse pattern on my backup camera looks the same. The bulbs themselves look MUCH better now as instead of black and sticking up tall behind a clear piece of plastic, these are silver and small and so you don't really even see them which is nice when they aren't on. They are plenty bright, its just the pattern of the reflector itself has banding and gaps in coverage which I didn't have with the stock diffused ones. This is a picture of the reverse camera to illustrate what I'm talking about:

IMG_20220429_201545.jpg
It doesn't show up as well on camera, but I highlighted what I notice in person more:
IMG_20220429_201545.jpg
Its still perfectly functional and you won't run into anything, but its a downgrade from stock in that respect which produced a much more evenly distributed light without banding IMO.

Also, just an FYI I don't know if they updated the model but this is what I was talking about where instead of two black boxes on the inside for the resistors, it has only one silver box (perfectly functional, no errors, just odd that its different):
IMG_20220429_191902.jpg

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So I got these in with the diffuser that are also not so tall, but alas the reverse pattern on my backup camera looks the same. The bulbs themselves look MUCH better now as instead of black and sticking up tall behind a clear piece of plastic, these are silver and small and so you don't really even see them which is nice when they aren't on. They are plenty bright, its just the pattern of the reflector itself has banding and gaps in coverage which I didn't have with the stock diffused ones. This is a picture of the reverse camera to illustrate what I'm talking about:

View attachment 492220
It doesn't show up as well on camera, but I highlighted what I notice in person more:
View attachment 492219
Its still perfectly functional and you won't run into anything, but its a downgrade from stock in that respect which produced a much more evenly distributed light without banding IMO.

Also, just an FYI I don't know if they updated the model but this is what I was talking about where instead of two black boxes on the inside for the resistors, it has only one silver box (perfectly functional, no errors, just odd that its different):
View attachment 492221
Its been a while since I installed mine but I don't remember it looking like that inside either.

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its been a while since I installed mine but I don't remember it looking like that inside either.
So I was just reading more Amazon reviews, and this guy's look just like mine, so they must have updated the product. Again, it works perfect, so no complaints if they updated it.

81VaDuNbKoL.jpg
^from another customer

Niggles about the reverse reflector pattern aside, I am super happy with the aesthetic though, particularly that the "C" shape is very large and there is no gap between that C and the LEDs that illuminate when the brakes are pressed, turning into one large block which looks very nice.

Brightness isn't one of those painful to look at lights, but certainly brighter than stock. When the blinker is applied, the instant on/off of the LED over the pulsating incandescent also looks nicer and they aren't out of sync with each other or any other blinkers on the vehicle.

So if they make a V2 of this product, only tiny things to change is that I'd make the whole reverse light diffused like stock or build in white LEDs into it which would be even better, and I think it would be smart to have two red LEDs on the outside section of the brake so that when viewed from the side profile you can still see the brake and/or blinker applied. :cool:

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LOL, total fail. So we tried some 4000 lumen crazy bright Auxito 912s that rival headlights, and sadly while they DO look really cool in the housing because they are almost invisible and their black base is more attractive than the factory weird discolored connector, the distracting lines they make on the ground are horrific and worse they make the reverse camera intermittently go crazy like in the horror movies with weird flickering and fuzz from some kind of electrical interference. So these can be ruled out!

Very uneven light as you can see in either orientation.

Clocked parallel:
IMG_20220504_203557.jpg

Clocked perpendicular:
IMG_20220504_205153.jpg

The only thing we haven't tried that we'll try tonight are incandescent bulbs, might just have to go with those for the reverse. Real shame, wish they had just made it flat frosted or textured glass to easily perfectly diffuse the light, that would have solved everything.

If anyone finds bulbs that work without weird lines showing up with these taillights, please let me know and post a pic of your reverse cam if you can as I'm going to be stretching the limits of how much I can return to Amazon before they blacklist us, lol! :p

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Eureka!

Long story short, he picked up an incandescent for me, and it was just about as bad as the Auxito's in beam pattern, and that's when he explained that it seems the more the light comes from a singular point, the more extreme those "hot spot" rings on these reverse lights. So he ordered these Boaosi 912s LEDs because they are tall and have the most LED chips in perfect 360o coverage for the most diffuse light, and couldn't have been more right now its perfect! View from the camera w/ Boaosi's:

IMG_20220509_212249.jpg

The light is very even looking in person, the ^ shape dark spot in the middle is minimized and in person can easily see what's there now, and the rings while present are virtually non-existent to the eye. These also don't cause any camera interference like the auxitos which were a disaster.

Here you can see the Boaosi on the right side of the picture, and the next runner-up best one the Novasights on the left, for comparison how they're even better than the next best out of all the ones we tested:
IMG_20220509_211607.jpg
Now that I got these bulbs I absolutely love everything about these taillights! WOO! :party36:

Capture.JPG

Even better, while these are so far beyond being the best result so far, they cost only $6.62 shipped after clipping the $5 off coupon, so are also the cheapest by a long shot. Proof that more expensive isn't always better.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Eureka!

Long story short, he picked up an incandescent for me, and it was just about as bad as the Auxito's in beam pattern, and that's when he explained that it seems the more the light comes from a singular point, the more extreme those "hot spot" rings on these reverse lights. So he ordered these Boaosi 912s LEDs because they are tall and have the most LED chips in perfect 360o coverage for the most diffuse light, and couldn't have been more right now its perfect! View from the camera w/ Boaosi's:

View attachment 492937

The light is very even looking in person, the ^ shape dark spot in the middle is minimized and in person can easily see what's there now, and the rings while present are virtually non-existent to the eye. These also don't cause any camera interference like the auxitos which were a disaster.

Here you can see the Boaosi on the right side of the picture, and the next runner-up best one the Novasights on the left, for comparison how they're even better than the next best out of all the ones we tested:
View attachment 492943
Now that I got these bulbs I absolutely love everything about these taillights! WOO! :party36:

View attachment 492938

Even better, while these are so far beyond being the best result so far, they cost only $6.62 shipped after clipping the $5 off coupon, so are also the cheapest by a long shot. Proof that more expensive isn't always better.
I have the auxito brand 921s for the reverse and I'm honestly impressed with them. This is the view from my camera. I can turn the bulb multiple directions to get the best pattern out of them. Yes, they're more expensive, but they're a higher wattage. 20220508_222440.jpg

Attachments

• 20220508_222440.jpg
    20220508_222440.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 3

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi