Squeak and brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kbayjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
hello all the I’m new here and after a lot of talking and searching the web I figured I’d try here.
I lifted my 2013 crew cab 1500 tradesman, I purchased the rough country 6in lift and did my self following all the instructions to the letter. The truck sits on 20 inch rims and 37 inch discovery STT Pros. And now the question how do I get the front end to stop squeaking every time the asphalt depth changes it’s sounds like when ever the Upper control arms move it squeaks. Iv changed them out and greased them with white lithium grease when I did it held off the squeak for about three days.

The second part of my question is I’m looking for new brakes to slow this big girl down. I’m currently in Hawaii and my small oem brakes are getting too hot and sticking causing an awful noise after about 30-40 mins of driving around here. If I park and sit for about an hour it goes away untill I hit that 30-40 min mark of driving again. What are some breaks to look into that don’t cost 4000$ per set if they exist thanks.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The dreaded squeek.. first we need to identify it.

Get a can of white lithium spray geese.
Spray all the lower bushings around the lower control arm and Strut mount and Ball joint” Also visually inspect that lower ball joint”.. go for a drive.. if noise is gone it’s something down low. Wait a few days for squeek to come back and just spray one thing down low at a time until you find it. Now if it is still there after a drive do all the uppers Except the top of the strut.. then go for a drive. If still there Spray the top of the struts and see if that does it. I recently had this issue and it was my struts. Long story short at full droop my bottom strut mount was hitting on the control arm and moving the strut, causing the strut to be loose up top and causing the squeeking. Good luck, Let ya know what it is.

OP
OP
Kbayjoe

Kbayjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Awesome I’ll do this any how but when I replaced my upper control arms from stock to zones the squeak completely went away for about three days. Which is why I believed it was the bushing in the UCAs, but if it’s possibly something else I will definitely give this a go and I’ll post an update on what happens thanks for the reply.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So it could be a bushing, just go process of elimination. I did everything at once and it cured it for a day so I knew it was up front. Then I isolated it to the top of the strut

Tpearson515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome I’ll do this any how but when I replaced my upper control arms from stock to zones the squeak completely went away for about three days. Which is why I believed it was the bushing in the UCAs, but if it’s possibly something else I will definitely give this a go and I’ll post an update on what happens thanks for the reply.
Try spraying your upper strut nut, I use a silicone spray, spray from the top and fully soak. I have to do this once every three months. Took a few months to find, was in the same boat as you, I would spray all bushings, obsess over hearing it. Once i found out what it was I removed the whole strut assembly, no wear or anything. So I just live with the fact I have to do this now haha.

It was a squeak happening over any small bump or change in the road at speeds 10-40mph. 75b14925e7ca5242cc955f0f9de04f21.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ledawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had this same issue on a 2013. I got so angry I traded trucks. I wouldn't suggest you do that quite yet but I had, had enough. I hated driving it because of the squeak. My 16 I replaced it with doesn't have a squeak. I'm much happier.