Squeak!!! Recently Leveled/Lifted - Need Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chewie4299

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed Bilstein 5100s about a month ago set at +2.8" in the front with the non adjustable 5100s in the rear accompanied by 1.5" spacers. I'm also now running 35x12.50 Procomp ATs.

Shortly after the install I noticed a sharp, high pitched squeak coming from the driver's side front when hitting medium sized bumps or larger. It's driving me absolutely nuts. I've tried identifying the source by hitting each bushing one at a time with some penetrating oil and/or lithium grease but I can't nail it down.

I've started pricing out replacements for upper ball joints, UCAs, LCAs, sway bar links, and tie rod ends but I really can't afford to tackle them all right now.

Has anyone encountered something like this before? What could it be?

During the install I had to replace the passenger side strut bushing at the control arm but left the factory one in on the driver's side since it was such a pain in the ass.

JCJ4290

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A squeak like that would indicate a strut issue, so it could be as simple as the bushing needing grease or replacement or perhaps even a defective strut. Only way to tell is to put it on a lift and see if you can pinpoint where it is exactly the squeak is coming from. You could try to turn the wheel, turn the truck off, and have someone heavier try to sit in the truck and make it move enough to squeak while someone else is near the front wheel.

KCTHUNDER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS
i would think something is just not tightened since its right after install.. and each bump is moving it around..

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a very similar issue with my truck Last year. Mine is a 2012, and I took it to one of those large tire chains to get it installed. The squeak would happen if I ran over decent size pot holes and bumps. Specifically the front, but I heard it from the back.

My honest opinion is that they didn't grease some of the bushings, or didn't tight a bolt. this install happened during the holiday so me crawling under the truck wasn't going to happen because of the weather.

They fixed it, but never told me about it, but I took it back 4 times because I wasn't happy...but they did fix it in the end.

BigSexyBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 dodge ram quad express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When i did a set up like yours, the rear squeaked for me when i went over bumps. It was the spacer rubbing in the rear

DIRTRIDER

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 REBEL
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I had a front end squeak after putting a 2" level in the front of a '10. The dealer replaced upper control arms and frt shocks. That lasted about 2 weeks before the squeak came back. I sprayed PB Blaster in the hole at the top of the strut bucket which would lube the top of the strut and associated parts and the noise went away for about two weeks, I just kept spraying lube in that hole when it started to squeak again. I never took it apart to find the real cause and ended up trading the truck in 6 months later.

OP
OP
C

Chewie4299

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies fellas.

I'm going to pull the strut and reassemble/install it on Sunday since that's what it seems my best shot is.

Regardless, for the peace of mind I've just ordered replacement UCAs, LCAs, Tie Rod Ends, and stabilizer bar links by Mevotech from RockAuto.com

This is because I've now noticed a 'clunk' and my steering seems to be altered. The ball joints were not in the best shape when I did the install.

I'm just going to replace everything and have the truck aligned again. The truck has 83000 miles (up from 43000 when purchased in October 2013) and I want to keep it on the road for as long as possible.

If all of that doesn't solve my problem I guess I'll just have to blow it the truck up! Though that would be a shame... I've got 'er lookin quite sexy these days.

Hehe

brasso

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
Its the very top bolt where the top of the strut mounts to the strut mount on the truck.. the increased angle moved the bolt as well and its squeaking against the factory hole drilled out… Mine did the exact same thing… Took the strut out, drilled the hole a bit, and no issues so far, also no squeaking. You can also spray WD 40 on it and it will be fine for a year or so until it wears off and starts squeaking again..

brasso

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
Look at the very top of the strut, where it mounts to the Cup looking thing that covers half the strut… It the bolt at the top of that.. It pushes through a hole in it… Pray that bolt with WD

BJSwizzle

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7L
I have this same issue, was levelled, so far I have sprayed the top of strut mount or the nut, and it goes away but it comes back

539DF514-8540-45C2-A504-F104FEBD96E2.jpeg

8E70E2A6-CCA8-44B6-94A5-8C2614871EC8.jpeg

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Thanks for the replies fellas.

I'm going to pull the strut and reassemble/install it on Sunday since that's what it seems my best shot is.

Regardless, for the peace of mind I've just ordered replacement UCAs, LCAs, Tie Rod Ends, and stabilizer bar links by Mevotech from RockAuto.com

This is because I've now noticed a 'clunk' and my steering seems to be altered. The ball joints were not in the best shape when I did the install.

I'm just going to replace everything and have the truck aligned again. The truck has 83000 miles (up from 43000 when purchased in October 2013) and I want to keep it on the road for as long as possible.

If all of that doesn't solve my problem I guess I'll just have to blow it the truck up! Though that would be a shame... I've got 'er lookin quite sexy these days.

Hehe

What spacer did you use for the rear? TGC?

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I have this same issue, was levelled, so far I have sprayed the top of strut mount or the nut, and it goes away but it comes back

View attachment 162675

View attachment 162676
I'm going to tag you in a thread I made about this issue so you have an idea of exactly what is going on. I had this issue and it isn't what it seems. The spacer you installed is open in the middle, that rubber bushing around the stud coming out of the top of the strut needs to be supported and it's not, down the road you're gonna have some damage to that upper strut mount. I may have my old spacers sitting in my garage, I'll go out and look. Not trying to scare you but some of the spacer kits available for our trucks will cause problems.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

keith savoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed Bilstein 5100s about a month ago set at +2.8" in the front with the non adjustable 5100s in the rear accompanied by 1.5" spacers. I'm also now running 35x12.50 Procomp ATs.

Shortly after the install I noticed a sharp, high pitched squeak coming from the driver's side front when hitting medium sized bumps or larger. It's driving me absolutely nuts. I've tried identifying the source by hitting each bushing one at a time with some penetrating oil and/or lithium grease but I can't nail it down.

I've started pricing out replacements for upper ball joints, UCAs, LCAs, sway bar links, and tie rod ends but I really can't afford to tackle them all right now.

During the install I had to replace the passenger side strut bushing at the control arm but left the factory one in on the driver's side since it was such a pain in the ass.
im guessing you have the same issue i did , change ur struts , mine did the same thing , top of the strut goes bad for sum reason , i changed both mine and no noise , cheers

Lazzsquatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
20220323_183846.jpgMy Strut bushings were squeaking like everone else is talking about, also have 2 inch lift with strut spacers. I made 2X 1/16" hardened steel plates with 1 1/8" hole in the center replicating the way the bushing is suppsed to be set in the shock tower. Installed them under the the spacer and good as new. The aren't perfect since I used a skillsaw with a metal blade and a grinder to shape them also a drill press but they work perfectly. No more squeak, it works as designed. I hope this helps anyone choosing to go a cheap route for a lift

Attachments

• 20220325_152319.jpg
    20220325_152319.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220325_152237.jpg
    20220325_152237.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 16

raff18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019c
Engine
hemi 5.7
My sway bar link at the bottom in the ball and socket my the source of mine

ClassicJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am having the same issue, and spraying PB blaster all in the bottom/top of strut mount stops the squeak periodically... I am going to be taking the passenger strut off on Saturday to make sure everything is tightened down.

I hate to spend the money, but I feel like full leveling struts are going to be the best solution (I cannot go back to a factory ride height!).

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l

Try Fluid Film ... on anything with a bushing or rubber part.