SRT Oil Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Amazon had these for 9.55 so I got the last 3.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
I know I had posted a photo of the filter and box w/info, but, naturally, can't find it. There was also an article printed with an interview with an SRT engineer. I had a snapshot of that and can't find it. I did come up with this commentary from a Q&A with an engineer:

SRT engineer round table Q&A April 15, 2014

Q. A lot of owners are starting to use the SRT Viper oilfilter on their 5.7, 6.1 and 6.4 engines (SRT filter # 05038041AA). Is thereany advantage (or disadvantage) in using this filter vs. the standard Moparfilter?

A. The SRT Viper filter flows better than the stockPurolator filter and requires a higher differential pressure to bypass thefilter at cold starts and high demand (Meaning the SRT Viper filter bypassstays closed more often and filters more oil). Both filters will work on the5.7/6.1/6.4.

http://www.drivesrt.com/news/2013/1...capability-and-increased-fuel-efficiency.html

When an SRT owner takes their vehicle to a driving eventwith the specific intent of exploring the far reaches of the performanceenvelope, they can rest assured that the 6.4-liter HEMI engine will sustain proper oil-pressures in extreme corneringconditions. For track-day use, SRT engineers suggest using the SRT oil filter(part number 05038041AA). Originally designed for Viper applications, it worksgreat with all Chrysler V8 engines. The SRT filter features a higherdifferential pressure bypass valve and reduced pressure loss across the filterelement

"From the SRT Engineers:

The SRT oil filter for all the past engines and the new22mm inlet SRT filter for the Gen 4 and beyond engines share the samecharacteristics. We worked with many of the filter suppliers to get the bestfeatures. Some fell out for various performance reasons but we ended updeveloping the current SRT filters with one of the mainstream manufacturers (itis different than their commercial offerings - or at least was when wedeveloped it). The high flow oil pumps in our large engines (Viper is thebiggest) can overpower the internal relief valve. When this valve opens itallows some of the high pressure dirty oil to bypass the filter element inorder to keep the filter from being damaged. The SRT filters do indeed have ahigher differential bypass valve to make sure all the oil delivered to yourpowerplant is clean. The housing is slightly thicker than many of the brandsout there to handle the pressure but is not the thickest. The real thick onesfailed our development testing (fractured at the crimped flange). The media used was one of the latest synthetics that allowed very fine filtration, more debris capacity, and much lower restriction than our standard Mopar filter (andjust about every other filter out there).

The flow back is a factor of the temperature and material. At low temps some 'rubber' get hard and the oil flows back.

Silicone is the best - not affected much by temperature.

SRT filter - I can't find out what type of media - is it specifically made for synthic oil.

I recommend the Purolator Boss filters.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Using it on my 2017, I like it, but might try the WixXP next time.

There still seems to be some debate about the build materials of the SRT filter, and a few people indicating issues with the "scallops" on the inside of the filter possibly being restrictive. I can get the Wix from a local OReillys so I might give that a shot if I ever get to another oil change interval (Covid=working from home for months)

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Using it on my 2017, I like it, but might try the WixXP next time.

There still seems to be some debate about the build materials of the SRT filter, and a few people indicating issues with the "scallops" on the inside of the filter possibly being restrictive. I can get the Wix from a local OReillys so I might give that a shot if I ever get to another oil change interval (Covid=working from home for months)

u really think they're going to put a restrictive filter on one of those engines.....SMH

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
u really think they're going to put a restrictive filter on one of those engines.....SMH

No, we think its actually a build quality issue.

Some filters have the scallops nice and wide open, other filters have scallops that are much less open.

The one I bought for mine was fine, but there are pics on the net (in this forum too) of ones that looked like they could be restrictive.

Red-R/T

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought 2 from Amazon. Used on my 2014 R/T.
Get it, R/T with a SRT.

sduncan86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I’m doing some research on the SRT filters and pros and cons and this threa popped up. I can’t really see any cons so I ordered on off Amazon for $20… yea they have went up in price a little..

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I ran this filter on my 11 ram 1500 for most of the time I owed it. 8k OCIs and no issues. I was driving 90 miles 1 way to work so the longer intervals really suited the filter.

I switched over to the 20 820, for my 16 Larmine due to availability when I sold the 11.

Oil PSI is same, so no worries.

I just changed the oil in my 15 durango RT and had 1 of these filters left over, so I used it for that OC. The durango did not seem to mind.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Before you use any of these SRT filters, look at the louvers to make sure they're pressed all the way open. I had to toss 2 of the ones I bought because the louvers were barely open...