Sry Ram suspension sucks for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Agreed with those who say the coils are not the best for towing.

But having fixed the problem with my truck, I'll just quickly mention that the WDH can make a huge difference. I had the feeling that there was too much vertical bounce in the back of my truck. The coils are soft and bouncy, and the trunion bars on the WDH are springy, so combined that was causing a lot of bounce and spring.

I fixed that by using the Anderson no sway WDH. It uses chains instead of "springy" trunion bars. There is no flex or bounce in the WDH whatsoever as chains are constant pressure, and now the only bounce comes from the coils in my truck. My towing experience was improved big time with this one change. Once the vertical bounce was cleared up, unsurprisingly the lateral sway also improved.

I do have the hellwig swaybar but that was added long before I pulled my trailer for the first time so it didn't have any effect.

To much spring in the overall suspension is a bad thing, with these coil suspensions and lighter trailer weights, we can't afford a trunion bar WDH which also adds even more bounce. I think those guys hauling close to (or over) the limit of their truck have less issue with the vertical bounce as there is simply so much weight at that point that it reduces the bounce just by being so heavy.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My hitch brand is the Fastway e2 hitch, model 92-00-0800. Made for max trailer weight of 8,000 lbs and max tongue weight of 800lb.s

The yellow sticker inside the driver side door says "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 776lbs."

Surely that is just he interior and not the payload of the entire truck?
776!!?? divide that by 5 and you're at 155lbs... so just having people in the truck puts you over payload??? even divided by 4 is 194 so 4 guys in the truck nothing else is over payload?? What's the point of having a truck? (my bewilderment is aimed at FCA not Conners Camper)

Last edited:

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Leaf springs are far better suited for towing than coil springs
Funny thing is train cars that carry 1,000 of tons use coil springs. Why don't they use leaf springs if they are far better?
A spring rated to carry 4500 lbs is rated to 4500 lbs or any other weight you want whether it's a leaf spring or a coil spring.
The lower control arms control lateral movement.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny thing is train cars that carry 1,000 of tons use coil springs. Why don't they use leaf springs if they are far better?
A spring rated to carry 4500 lbs is rated to 4500 lbs or any other weight you want whether it's a leaf spring or a coil spring.
Cool story

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

I'm not an engineer, but there is a reason why Ram picked coils over leafs, most likely because it rides bar better. So if there is a difference in ride quality, there may also be a difference in towing.

I do know on the 5th gen that the coils are progressive, that first inch gives way pretty quickly but enough YT reviews have loaded up all the trucks with 1000 pounds and got about 2 inches of squat on every truck so these coils do carry weight once that first inch is gone.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
776!!?? divide that by 5 and you're at 155lbs... so just having people in the truck puts you over payload??? even divided by 4 is 194 so 4 guys in the truck nothing else is over payload?? What's the point of having a truck? (my bewilderment is aimed at FCA not Conners Camper)
It's a fancy pants truck with all of the goodies - every option eats at the weight.
For some reason, some have a 6800 GVWR and others a 6900 GVWR - not sure why, I think it's a tire thing.
However, mine has a 6800 GVWR but came with E-load tires - go figure.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's a fancy pants truck with all of the goodies - every option eats at the weight.
For some reason, some have a 6800 GVWR and others a 6900 GVWR - not sure why, I think it's a tire thing.
However, mine has a 6800 GVWR but came with E-load tires - go figure.

Fancy pants truck or not, IMO a vehicle that you can't put as many people in as there are seats is absolutely unacceptable.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Fancy pants truck or not, IMO a vehicle that you can't put as many people in as there are seats is absolutely unacceptable.

How much do you weigh??

My truck has 6 seats and assuming each passenger is 200 pounds, that takes up 1200 pounds leaving me 550 pounds for the bed yet.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How much do you weigh??

My truck has 6 seats and assuming each passenger is 200 pounds, that takes up 1200 pounds leaving me 550 pounds for the bed yet.
195 thankfully!
I'm referring to the truck that has a 776 payload rating.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well they did address it a bit with the 5th gen by using lighter materials.
For some reason all 1/2 ton trucks seem to have around a 7000 GVWR - not really sure why as they could go up to 8499 GVWR.