SSBC brake upgrade anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyrant

Reaction score
Ram Year
'12CC / '15RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hey guys was searching around the forum and didnt get any solid info on this matter, has anyone tried the SSBC systems on their 4th gen?

i love everything about my truck except the braking, its just not confidence inspiring and "mushy". i've searched around the web and found that baer and brembo make kits for our trucks but they are 4000$ which i really cant justify for daily driving.
however i remembered from back when i had the charger their was a company called SSBC which made a nice and cheap brake upgrade for the LX's so i looked them up and they make a nice looking 4 piston kit for our trucks:
ssb-a158-4_w.jpg
not cheap at 1600$ but this is more manageable for me (they have a cheaper 3 piston kit but i want as much stopping power that i can get).

anyone have any experience with them on the Ram's?

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't think any has done a brake kit. Most people just swap out the rotor and pads once they wear out for some aftermarket one's and call it a day. That's what I plan on doing sometime here soon as my front brakes are starting to squeak when braking at low speeds. Going with rotors and pads is a lot cheaper than a kit like that and do increase your braking power. I'd try that before spending that much money on a kit, unless you really want to.

Unless it's a personal feeling, my brakes don't feel mushy to me and I've had to actually stomp on them a couple times because of stupid drivers, animals, kids, and they damn near throw me forward on occasion. But better brakes is always a plus so try rotor and pads first and if that's not enough, fork out the dough for a kit.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
$1600 ,,,,wow,,,,,,,mines not so bad :)

OutlawTrucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I know someone who has those.

The sunburst ram I posted with 24's has them.

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd try and retrofit the SRT Ram brakes on a 4th gen.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The SSBC Force 10 brake kits have pretty awesome reviews. Mainly on Cheby trucks, but still. I've felt the Gen IV brakes are f*cking AWESOME. but that's because I owned a few Gen II's. You want to talk about horrid brakes! hahaha!

Order em up, let us know!

OP
OP
T

Tyrant

Reaction score
Ram Year
'12CC / '15RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like i'm gonna be the guinea pig. Just waiting on SSBC to get back to me on the installation of these brakes and if they are direct plug and play i.e. require no cutting or modifications.

as for changing the rotors and pads, being outside the US the shipping is insane on such heavy items and after putting all the costs together a rotor swap just doest seem like good value.
and surprisingly summit has much cheaper shipping on the full kit than on rotors alone :S.

climbtheapple

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i was curious about these as well. i was thinking of going this route once my brakes have worn out. the brakes that came on the truck seem to get the job done but i don't have full confidence in them.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
The SSBC Force 10 brake kits have pretty awesome reviews. Mainly on Cheby trucks, but still. I've felt the Gen IV brakes are f*cking AWESOME. but that's because I owned a few Gen II's. You want to talk about horrid brakes! hahaha!

Order em up, let us know!

gen 2 brakes blow!

Tapatalk Addict

HemiSam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The brakes on my 2010 are far from confidence inspiring and I find that once I start to get into them, they get a bit catchy vs smooth and linear. Curious to see what you think.

I found the brakes on my Challenger R/T to be worthless after a couple of hard stops and while upgrading was painful on the pocket book, was worth every dime IMO.

HemiSam

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Savage_46 nailed it, especially the braided lines. Much of the mushy feeling comes from the stock lines expanding under pressure. Steel braided covered lines helps reduce the expansion and are a whole lot less than the upgrade kit.

Andy Vue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What brands do you guys recommend for rotors, pads and as brake lines?

feraAcademy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi

feraAcademy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Update on the SSBC B8 Brakes

First impression is that these brakes are way better than the original. After about 2 weeks of use on them, I've noticed that the break dust is considerably less than the stock brakes and the stopping power is incomparable.

The stock rotors were quite done so any upgrade would show an improvement, but I'm seeing a very good and reliable stopping power for these brakes. I've drive with about 1.5k lbs in the trunk to a show and felt zero difference in brake response. I'll be getting our trailer in the next month and can update how it handles with our full load.

Brake lines are OEM.

20211030_104205.jpg

20211030_104141.jpg

The weight of the new rotors by SSBC were quite heavy. They weren't that expensive and they are doing a good job so far. You can see the completely rusted and destroyed old rotor.

Once I put the new brakes onto the car, you can see that there is in fact the gap mentioned by multiple other people. I was aware of this when purchasing the brakes but found it was a worth while sacrifice in order to not upgrade my tire size AND get new brakes to fit the Wilwoods.

20211030_114338.jpg
20211030_114322.jpg
20211030_144845.jpg

Notice that the brake pad only makes contact with aprox. 2/3rds the surface of the rotor. With this considered, I am still experiencing a great improvement in braking and pedal feel. They stop sharp and on demand. There is far less give on the pedal and much more responsiveness. I'm quite happy with the upgrade and feel much safer with these bad boys on there rather than the stock brakes.

We will be towing a Black Series HQ19 that comes in 6,800 lbs bone dry so we wanted a bit more stopping power. The wear marks in this picture were from a quick initial test drive. This review is being written with about 2 weeks of use. If anything should happen, I'll keep you all posted. I'm quite happy with them so far and will consider doing the rear brakes in the future.

20211030_161058.jpg
20211030_161045.jpg

They also look pretty sexy IMO. Since then, we've also gotten our Leer cap put on:

20211103_150203.jpg

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What brands do you guys recommend for rotors, pads and as brake lines?

We highly recommend our package here for pads and rotors

You can use promo code GOTBRAKES15 for 15% off and free shipping.

For Brake lines we offer Crown Performance and highly recommend them. We do not have them listed on the site yet but you can message me for a quote and more info on any of this.