Stage 2 CAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James E Rivera

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I'm thinking of doing a full CAM install. I have a cylinder 5 misfire and so far, plugs and coils did not fix my issue. Probably will go Stage 2 TSP with MDS delete. I've read conflicting arguments. Since money is an issue, can I run stock exhaust manifold with a Stage 2 CAM? I will probably get long tube headers in the future.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm thinking of doing a full CAM install. I have a cylinder 5 misfire and so far, plugs and coils did not fix my issue. Probably will go Stage 2 TSP with MDS delete. I've read conflicting arguments. Since money is an issue, can I run stock exhaust manifold with a Stage 2 CAM? I will probably get long tube headers in the future.
You can,but you won't get all the benefits of your cam.Have you budget'd for a custom tune,as you'll need a start up tune,and probably a few revisions after that to get it dialed in. FRP/Flying Ryan is one of the better tuners for TSP cams,you'll need HP tuning though,i'd avoid Diablo

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If money is an issue then get a 6.4 cam or get a no tune cam, I.E. https://www.modernmusclextreme.com/...r-non-mds-performance-na-camshaft-by-mmx.aspx

Your looking at more than just the cam for a stage 2, headers, tune, pushrods/springs, etc.

Money will be better spent of replacing all the critical parts vs. going for a big cam without the supporting mods....and supporting mods will be and grand or 2 more than the cam swap.
(with a 5 speed tranny and stage 2 you are looking at needing a torque converter BTW)

Also depending on the miles on the truck adding another 60+hp may cause other things to fail, just a thought.

Red-Scully

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If money is an issue, I would try to diagnose tour problem a little bit farther BEFORE putting in a cam . ...you could have a bad fuel injector or burned vavles ......neither of which would be "fixed " by replacing your cam