Stahlbus Oil Drain Valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone installed a Stahlbus Oil Drain Valve on their RAM ?? If so, can you advise if you have had any con's to installing one ..
I bought a new 2020 Ram last year and I will be doing my first oil change soon ... I also purchased a Stahlbus drain valve for it, but I am having second thoughts as to whether or not I should use it ...
Any pros or cons would be welcomed ... Thanks

th?id=OIP.jpg

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Has anyone installed a Stahlbus Oil Drain Valve on their RAM ?? If so, can you advise if you have had any con's to installing one ..
I bought a new 2020 Ram last year and I will be doing my first oil change soon ... I also purchased a Stahlbus drain valve for it, but I am having second thoughts as to whether or not I should use it ...
Any pros or cons would be welcomed ... Thanks

th?id=OIP.jpg
The Stahlbus oil drain valve actually works pretty good. A customer of mine brought me one three weeks ago to install on his RAM while I was performing some upgrades and I was impressed with it.

Only thing I found that was unclear was the amount of torque required for installation. IIRC, the instructions said to torque the valve to the manufacturer's specs. I didn't think that was correct so after some digging I found the torque spec to be 15 ft-lbs. The service manual calls for 25 ft-lbs and I felt that was a little too much for the valve and I haven't had any problems with leaks.

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the Valvomax on my 14 1500 5.7 hemi. Very impressed. No leaks. After installation no tools needed for draining. I had purchased one for my wife's Sienna but since it hangs lower than the standard drain plug, ground clearance appeared to be an issue, so I passed on that vehicle.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used to have a Fumoto oil drain valve on my Montero (well it's probably on there still with the new owner.. ) but it was largely to facilitate oil changes without removing the transmission skidplate. I had the kind with a hose nipple and left the hose curled up on top of the skidplate so all that was necessary was find the end of the hose, shake whatever dirt had crusted around the end off, poke it into a bottle or pan and flip open the valve.

Don't have one on the Ram for a couple reasons - first is that the engine oil pan drain is really not the messy part of changing oil on these trucks. Second is that I like having a magnetic drain plug and I haven't seen a drain valve that incorporates a magnet. Guess I could stick a hard drive magnet to the side of my oil filter or something but the drain plug is good for inspection too, like for example if the roller bearings on one of my cam lifters started eating itself I'm sure I'd see it on the drain plug magnet - wouldn't be as easy to see that if I had a magnet on the oil filter and never saw its beard.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Fumoto on my '17. Works great. I'm not sure what flavors are available for the Stahlbus but I recommend one with a hose nipple on it if available. I have one on my Fumoto and its nice for windy days, just slip a piece of hose on it and drain right into a jug ar pan without the mess from wind.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Is it really that difficult to put a wrench on the factory drain plug for oil changes? No it's not and it takes maybe 5 seconds to remove.
What's the big deal?
Why spend $45 bucks for an unnecessary gadget?

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it really that difficult to put a wrench on the factory drain plug for oil changes? No it's not and it takes maybe 5 seconds to remove.
What's the big deal?

I never spent any $45 but Fumotos are cool because you never drop them into the drain pan, never have to hurry up and get your hand or the wrench out of the way, can easily drain hot oil without any special effort, can direct it into a collection bottle directly with a hose if you want, never have to worry about it developing a leak from a smashed gasket, never worry about stripped threads or crossed threads or any of the maybe unlikely but possible things that could happen with a regular drain plug. Totally a one and done solution.

And in the case of my previous 4x4 it was necessary to remove a skidplate to change the oil without a Fumoto + hose, so all the possibilities for losing/stripping/cross threading/etc were all multiplied by 6 to account for all the hardware that held the skidplate on. That's not applicable to our Rams specifically.

I would definitely Fumoto my Ram if it wasn't for the fact I like using a drain plug magnet as a cheap health check tool while changing oil.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What's the big deal?
That's not why I bought my Fumoto. Even a little breeze will make a mess especially while the last bit of oil drains out in a small trickle. I used to lay there trying to block any wind while it drained. Do you know how difficult it is to lay on your back & block wind while drinking a beer?

OP
OP
Jim113

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like an interesting drain valve. I have a Fumoto valve on my truck and our WRX. Both work great and have never leaked. Seems like a much simpler valve than the Stahlbus.

With the Stahlbus, all you have to do is unscrew the cap and push the fitting on the hose into the valve, give it a quarter turn and the oil starts draining ... When you remove the hose it closes off the valve ... I should have mentioned it comes with a hose and fitting, that does not show up on the photo I posted as it is found on the back of the packaging ...
I had a Fumoto on my 2017 Ram but had issues trying to get the hose to stay on properly ... I bought the Stahlbus to give it a try, but thought I would gets some opinions before installing it ... Thanks

OP
OP
Jim113

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Stahlbus oil drain valve actually works pretty good. A customer of mine brought me one three weeks ago to install on his RAM while I was performing some upgrades and I was impressed with it.

Only thing I found that was unclear was the amount of torque required for installation. IIRC, the instructions said to torque the valve to the manufacturer's specs. I didn't think that was correct so after some digging I found the torque spec to be 15 ft-lbs. The service manual calls for 25 ft-lbs and I felt that was a little too much for the valve and I haven't had any problems with leaks.

Thanks for the torque spec's ... Much appreciated ...

blahargoue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
The draining of the oil on the Gen 5 Hemi trucks isn't the issue. The factory drain plug works great and am sure the drain valve will work fine too.

It's the darned oil filter placement on these trucks that make changing oil a pain in the butt. Real hard to get too, even harder to get a wrench on it with only about 1/8th of an inch stroke once you do get the wrench on it. Then the oil runs down on the cross member, the right front drive axle and everything else in it's path.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The draining of the oil on the Gen 5 Hemi trucks isn't the issue. The factory drain plug works great and am sure the drain valve will work fine too.

It's the darned oil filter placement on these trucks that make changing oil a pain in the butt. Real hard to get too, even harder to get a wrench on it with only about 1/8th of an inch stroke once you do get the wrench on it. Then the oil runs down on the cross member, the right front drive axle and everything else in it's path.
Strategic tools and equipment sells an oil filter removal tool that has a bellows attached , I trimmed it some to the hieght of filter. They have three sizes one works for the smaller filter and another works for the SRT FILTER BUT I can’t remember witch is witch these work great .no more mess no more oil all over rack. Money well spent. It pays for itself after one use.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
With the Stahlbus, all you have to do is unscrew the cap and push the fitting on the hose into the valve, give it a quarter turn and the oil starts draining ... When you remove the hose it closes off the valve ... I should have mentioned it comes with a hose and fitting, that does not show up on the photo I posted as it is found on the back of the packaging ...
I had a Fumoto on my 2017 Ram but had issues trying to get the hose to stay on properly ... I bought the Stahlbus to give it a try, but thought I would gets some opinions before installing it ... Thanks

I could see the hose working better with the Stahlbus valve. I've never tried to use one on a Fumoto. My comment on the Fumoto being simpler is that is just a ball valve with a spring loaded latch where as the Stahlbus is basically a spring loaded ball check.