Stall, backfire, then all is fine on 2004 3.7 Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AyeAyeCapn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 1500 Quadcab
Engine
Random engine stop not long after starting and driving, depress clutch (5-speed man.) then release clutch or downshift depending on speed. Engine self-starts fine then with clutch engaged. Happens only after start of longer trip. Won't happen again the rest of the day. Been to a garage, a dealer, fuel pump and plugs replaced (no new coils, dealer said weren't needed). No intelligent OBD readouts, dealer said won't "read" when connected.

Any thoughts? ECM maybe?

Diro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Random engine stop not long after starting and driving, depress clutch (5-speed man.) then release clutch or downshift depending on speed. Engine self-starts fine then with clutch engaged. Happens only after start of longer trip. Won't happen again the rest of the day. Been to a garage, a dealer, fuel pump and plugs replaced (no new coils, dealer said weren't needed). No intelligent OBD readouts, dealer said won't "read" when connected.

Any thoughts? ECM maybe?

Check your 02 sensor or your egr valve if is stuck open. It happened one time at one jeep 3.7 and I solved the problem, hope that help!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

OP
OP
AyeAyeCapn

AyeAyeCapn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 1500 Quadcab
Engine
Check your 02 sensor or your egr valve if is stuck open. It happened one time at one jeep 3.7 and I solved the problem, hope that help!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip!

OP
OP
AyeAyeCapn

AyeAyeCapn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 1500 Quadcab
Engine
Thanks for the tip!

Just an update - too it to a local shop, asked for new EGR and O2 sensors, next evening I went to check on progress and all was well, owner thought it was probably a "cam position sensor" and got a readout saying it was a problem, replaced it, and ALL IS WELL. Just an FYI. Thanks all.