Stalling at low speeds...sometimes...and starts back up immediately

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HanYolo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So about five years ago my 2005 Dodge Ram began stalling inexplicably at low speeds. ONLY at low speeds and usually shortly after takeoff (3-10 mph). It ALWAYS starts back up IMMEDIATELY...literally I'm still coasting, shift into neutral, fire it up, and drop it back into drive.

But this was inconsistent. Sometimes it would do it twice in one day. Other times it would go a month without stalling then stall again. I could never figure out the issue or felt comfortable enough taking it to a shop since I couldn't reliably reproduce the faulty behavior.

Recently, it's been stalling every day in the manner previously described. It also began hesitating on acceleration, which is new. I ran a can of SeaFoam through it and it ran great. No stalling. No hesitation. After the treated gas was used and the tank refilled with untreated gas, it began stalling again (although it does NOT hesitate anymore under acceleration).

I've Googled this but the diagnosis vary widely and some of the recommendations are simply absurd. This is a very specific symptom so hopefully someone has experience with this?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Brian

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had a similar problem and it was found to be egr valve. Mine stalled making a slow turn.