Stalling out while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Easy all .. lets play nice .

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Mine dies right away after battery disconnect. It might be a gen 2 thing

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Race1Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine dies right away after battery disconnect. It might be a gen 2 thing

My Gen2 will keep running... I tested the alternator like that in stock form and the new setup, followed by a load test to the alternator. The truck never died on me though.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Alot of newer vehicles computer sensors run off battery power, and the truck computer cant run correctly without a fully operational battery.

Also, in some vehicles the alternator is under certain conditions and especially at idle, not capable of supplying the full electrical demands of the vehicle.

Race1Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you any closer to figuring out what's wrong?
Joe

OP
OP

64stacey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good afternoon all, well the battery and alt checked out fine. I was so hoping maybe it was one of them. Back to the drawing board. As for the things like radio and lights , and power. It is like someone just turns the key and it all goes off. The truck doesnt bog or lose power he will be driving just normal then **** off he goes. I drove him round trip sunday was 36 miles and nothing didnt shut off , I might try to go to store and might not make it out the driveway. I am so lost with this .

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I don't know if this will help you at all...but you've tried everything else.

So lets check this out....

Next time the truck stalls...if it's safe to do so, get the hood and put your hand on the ignition coil. Now it will be hot..but if you can fry an egg on it, it's overheating and shorting throught the windings. This may only happen when the motor has run a while, and sadly intermitent shorts are the worst to diagnose. I see you've replaced the coil. Not the first time I've seen a new one fail

If you're not sure, have the coil tested. autozones used to be able to do this but I don't know if they still do.
Rather than buy a new coil, get one from a salvage yard and if this happens and the coil feels too hot plug in the new one and try it.

Other than that, clean all your ground terminals.... there are two under the battery tray and one on the firewall.

Make sure you don't have any worn insulation on the crank sensor or cam sensor since these are in back of the engine and close to the exhaust.

Last edited:

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
If its everything turning off, I would think its a grounding issue. Unless it is the ignition key module.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I checked my factory manual...

For a stall/no restart it suggests...and again I'm reading off the manual.

Intake manifold/vacum leak

Faulty coil

IAC/ fuel injector issues. You can smell gas. Is the idle lower than normal?

When is the last time the throttle body/Iac plunger been cleaned?

OP
OP

64stacey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello , I need to correct myself , truck stalled out a little bit ago and I DID NOT lose radio, lights. I thought they were but they are not, just the engine cuts off. Does this help yall any ? My coil is new and had the plunger , throttle body cleaned. I am not sure about the fuel injectors. It is not idling low , although the idle seems just a little bit rough but I dont know if that is just me being paranoid or not.

thank you
stacey

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Does your oil smell like gas?

I'd run a test on the fuel injectors and also check your connectors to make sure they're tight. Loose connectors can cause idle issues.

A faulty or leaking injector could cause a flood condition...although I'm suprised you haven't gotten a CEL.

Another place to check is your fuel pump/Auto shutoff relays. If they overheat, you could could have a thermal shutdown. I'd grab some relays off a junker and carry them with.

becraftc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Hey 64Stacey I feel your pain. Just traded an old car for a 1995 ram 5.9 and am having the EXACT same symptoms. I was wondering if you ever figured out what the problem was. I'm going to go through all the avenues you went through until this point. Was wondering if you ever diagnosed the problem? Thanks for any help or info you might have.

becraftc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
I think the problem is solved. Replaced the TPS sensor and didn't stall after about a 40-50 mile drive. Hope you found your solution and thanks to this thread for helping me find mine.

MarineBreed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am having the same but different problem. I lose all power, radio, cig lighter, etc. when I open the door, it shows on the information page a door is open. Doors do not chime. If I tap on my fuze box, I get power back. Any ideas? It's a 2011 ram 1500 5.7.

DriftMachine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Dies after hard acceleration

The previous owner claims he had the transmission rebuilt. Doubt the trans could be the issue, but I am open to ideas.
I just did a head job. I thought maybe a loose wire. One wire was loose, the idler valve, but I fixed that. But the truck still dies.

When the truck dies it will not turn back on for 5 to 15 minutes. It dies suddenly. It acts as if it is not getting spark.
Everything else works. When it finally starts it acts as if it's got intermittent spark before finally starting.
By that i mean only one lop every 3rd or 4th revolution.

For me to make this problem recreate itself, all I have to do is accelerate a little hard, but if the truck never leaves first it won't die.
It seems like it has to shift to die. It could just be coincidence. At first I thought it was a heat issue, but even when cold I can reproduce
the problem with hard acceleration.

As of this post I am trying to recreate the issue and now it wont die. I know as soon as I try to go somewhere it will die.
No trouble codes other than the o2 sensors.

99 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 Laramie

Akersaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V-8
Sounds like same trouble I'm having with A 2003 1500 4.7L V-8 I just bought. Drove fine on test drive and then ride home. On my way into work the next day it died four times. Every time I'm going up hill and when it downshifts to to give it more power to go it dies with 2-4 seconds and I have to pull over turn off and then restart it. It drives fine otherwise. Today on a flat straight away I decided to stomp the gas and as soon as it downshifted it died.
There is no hesitation or anything at all any other time. No engine lights come on. What could be my problem?

DriftMachine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Sounds like same trouble I'm having with A 2003 1500 4.7L V-8 I just bought. Drove fine on test drive and then ride home. On my way into work the next day it died four times. Every time I'm going up hill and when it downshifts to to give it more power to go it dies with 2-4 seconds and I have to pull over turn off and then restart it. It drives fine otherwise. Today on a flat straight away I decided to stomp the gas and as soon as it downshifted it died.
There is no hesitation or anything at all any other time. No engine lights come on. What could be my problem?

You seem to be describe my exact issue. Right down to the downshifting. I was thinking it could be my trans, but I never did figure out the issue. I pulled my coil, and grabbed the coil from the other dead truck and swapped it when I could no longer start my truck. It started right up. Thinking I had it figured it out, I put the original coil back on, but it started up unexpectedly. I have been waiting since I posted this for the issue to come back. I am gonna guess I got lucky and it was not the trans.

I am not saying switching the coil will fix it. But maybe unplugging the wires and wire brushing the leads could help. I did that after I could not recreate the issue to make sure it ain't the coil. When you are desperate anything is worth trying. Doubt it will fix your problem, but try it anyways cuz you never know when it comes to intermittent issues.

orionlover69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I have a 2001 Ram 2500 Laramie SLT with a 360. I bought this truck for my wife and the first thing I figured was that it would just shut off the same way. After checking a million stories and following the trouble tree in my mind, I replaced the ECM with one off Ebay for 135 bucks. It was plug and play. I supplied the VIN and mileage and it started and ran and has been running for about a month just fine now. I have the old license plate and duct taped some metal around it and put it between the compartment and the ECM. That's for heat blockage. Separating the computer from direct radiant heat from the headers, I figured after much research that the computer boards are cheap and after alot of expansion and contraction, the metal connections and solder points seperate causing a short in the board. It worked for me so check it out if you haven't already.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Cmd1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone really figured out the issue with this? I have a 2012 6.7 with roughly 140k miles on it and about two months ago while turning it completely died-engine, power steering, radio, lights- everything shut off out of the blue. I was lucky no one was around so I drove straight into a curb until I could shut the truck off and restart. It lagged a bit and flicked all the lights on when you turn it on before it died again. It did this a couple times for about 5 minutes before it started right up and was just fine. Checked the wiring around the ignition and thought a loose wire was the issue. Didn’t have another issue with it until today. It died this morning as I was turning right at a light and had the same issues as before. Was able to nurse it to a parking lot with no power steering and restarted it after 5 minutes. Then happened again turning left about 20 minutes later same exact issue. Gonna check the fuel system later and see. Any ideas?