Standard Cummins vs HO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamGuy110

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Is the ** louder than the standard? Does one get better mpgs than the other? Is one faster than the other?

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Still cannot say **?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
No to all of your questions.
I don't have any concrete data on the mpg but from what I have heard/read I think you will find them close but the SO will be slightly better. Some of that has to do with the transmission more then the HO/SO engine I believe. (Aisin vs 68RFE).
Neither of these trucks are "fast", not what they were designed for. If you want a fast(er) diesel go with a V8 like Ford or Chevy

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
No to all of your questions.
I don't have any concrete data on the mpg but from what I have heard/read I think you will find them close but the SO will be slightly better. Some of that has to do with the transmission more then the **/SO engine I believe. (Aisin vs 68RFE).
Neither of these trucks are "fast", not what they were designed for. If you want a fast(er) diesel go with a V8 like Ford or Chevy

And I think you'll find that the weight of your right foot is directly proportional to fuel mileage.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
My contractor has a 2021 3500 H O Mega Cab single wheel, and he only gets a little better economy in town than my 6.4 does

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I owned a 2018 standard output Cummins and now have a 2021 HOE Cummins/Aisin combo. Have driven both over the same highway, in the same summer-type weather, empty with no load at roughly the same speeds. The highway mileage on the HOE is much lower....By like 3mpg. Around town there is roughly a 2mpg difference. Cummins will tell you tat you will experience this, as the lower power engine uses different compression pistons allowing it to take advantage of some efficiencies. PS: She a H O, not a HOE... :)