Start issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
In the last three weeks I have had three instances where the truck would not turn over.

1. We were camping and I had a 12v cooler plugged in during the day for two days without driving it, so it was not terribly surprising that it didn't start. I was able to start it with a L-ion battery pack with no problem.

2. Don't remember the exact circumstances, except that for sure there was no external draw placed. May have been sitting a couple/few days. This time the jump pack would not start it - had to use my wife's Explorer.

3. My wife drove it from southern VT to Portland, ME and back on Monday, so the battery was as well charged as it possibly could be, dependent on charging system, of course. Friday morning, would not crank over. Jump pack would not start it. Had to jump from wife's Explorer.

I didn't notice on the first two instances, but on the third, here is what I observed:
* press Start (or engage remote start)
* hear a moderately loud "click" like the solenoid engaging
* for 5-10 seconds(?) hear a low-moderate humming noise, like something electric is trying to operate.
* another moderately loud "click" and the humming stops.
* with hood open, slight ozone/burnt electronics smell.

I went by my local mechanic's shop yesterday afternoon and he did a load test on the battery - he says it's notably better than average.

I did not think to check the EVIC reported battery voltage when it wouldn't start. Certainly will if it happens again.

Anyone else having similar issues?

Downzero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Some specifics might help, i.e. Year, gas, diesel, battery age, etc.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Happened 3-4 more times, took to dealer. They suspected bad starter so replaced it (under warranty). That was 2-3 months ago and hasn't happened since, so seems likely that was the problem. Maybe a weak/bad spot on the armature?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn