Start out hesitation on 2018 6.7L 3500 when cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bubbajames

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Diesel
Lately, I've been getting hesitation on my 6.7L from a cold engine during initial start from a stop. It seems to go away once it's warmed up. I'd like to know if anyone has experienced this on their 6.7L, what was the fix, and is it easy to correct?

2018 3500 w/6.7L
Miles: 35700

Thanks,

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Hesitation as in it waits for the grid heater to warm up before starting or hesitation as it makes a loping sound(like it has a mild cam in it) until it warms up?

In regards to the lope or surging idle, I have two tunes for my truck from two different tunes, Hardway Performance and Anarchy Diesel. My Hardway tune never does this no matter how cold it gets, but the Anarchy will if it drops down below 40F.

OP
OP
bubbajames

bubbajames

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Diesel
I should be more clear. After start up on a cold morning, when i put the truck in drive and step on the gas pedal, it hesitates. It's like there is no fuel or it floods, but then it goes without issue. Once the engine has warmed up, the issue seems to go away.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I should be more clear. After start up on a cold morning, when i put the truck in drive and step on the gas pedal, it hesitates. It's like there is no fuel or it floods, but then it goes without issue. Once the engine has warmed up, the issue seems to go away.
Is your engine Gas or Diesel, your profile list HEMI

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
You don't say what cold is, what are your outside temps when this happens, 10 degrees, 30 degrees, are you using Bio Diesel, if so are are you using anti gel additives to help prevent gel problems in temps below 28?When was the last time you drained the water out of the underhold fuel filter housing?

OP
OP
bubbajames

bubbajames

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Diesel
Cold outside is like 35-40, cold start and run meaning I start it on the morning and drive. No additives either. I had the fuel filters replaced about a year ago. I suppose the question about getting water out is how often should that be performed? Does it only accumulate on the fuel filter under the bed or also under the hood? Im still getting familiar with dodge.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Probably sticky vanes or actuator in the turbo.

If it was gelled fuel, that is NOT going to clear up immediately when you get rolling and roll into the throttle, it would get worse the more fuel you demanded.

Does your truck get regular hard runs, and do you use the exhaust brake regularly? Keys to keeping the turbo happy.

OP
OP
bubbajames

bubbajames

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Diesel
I began 100% engine brake usage just recently after watching a you tube video about it. Only time there is hard usage is when I tow the 5th wheel. During the winter we are not pulling. My miles driving it is very low, about 5-6k per year.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I began 100% engine brake usage just recently after watching a you tube video about it. Only time there is hard usage is when I tow the 5th wheel. During the winter we are not pulling. My miles driving it is very low, about 5-6k per year.

Running the exhaust brake is Not going to save your actuator. I really wish this old wives tale would die.... Sticking turbos is not an issue on the 13+ trucks, it was more for the pre DEF trucks that relied on 100% EGR to reduce Nox.

The actuators are failing because the components on the circuit card were not spec'd properly and they are failing from use and heat cycles.

Run the exhaust brake if you like it but don't do it thinking it will save your actuator....

As far as you "issue", did this just start? How often do you drive the truck, does it sit a lot? Is it stock of tuned? Are you trying to give it aggressive throttle or easing into it? These trucks have several operating modes (that switch and are transparent to the driver) and it would not be happy if you got on the throttle heavy when in the "cold" mode. It's done to protect the engine.

OP
OP
bubbajames

bubbajames

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Diesel
Hi, I don't drive it a lot but when I do I'm easy on the throttle. It's a stock truck all the way. This issue started up about 3-4 weeks ago. I was asked if I drain water from the fuel filter. I do not have a water in fuel indicator lite on my dashboard. Should this still be done and would it help? There is a vent filter that goes under the plastic cover on top of the engine. I guess this replaced the PCV valve. Could this be the issue?

Last edited:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Cold outside is like 35-40, cold start and run meaning I start it on the morning and drive. No additives either. I had the fuel filters replaced about a year ago. I suppose the question about getting water out is how often should that be performed? Does it only accumulate on the fuel filter under the bed or also under the hood? Im still getting familiar with dodge.
Drain under the hood filter at least every 2-3 months being you don't drive lots of miles, monthly if using Bio Diesel... IMO its a good idea to use additives like year round, more so in the winter time like Power Service Winter to help prevent problems due to water, fuel additives also help keep fuel system clean & boost Cetane... IIRC fuel filters should be changed every 12 months or 20K and buy good quality filters like Cummins Fleetguard, don't buy the cheap fuel filters made in China or Fram....