Start/ stop system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Foxdodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi etorque
I purchased a new 2021 Ram in February. Can I put one of the start/stop eliminators on it without voiding my warranty? Hope so. Hate that start/ stop system!!!

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I purchased a new 2021 Ram in February. Can I put one of the start/stop eliminators on it without voiding my warranty? Hope so. Hate that start/ stop system!!!
I haven't seen any stop/start eliminators for these trucks. The only way I know of permanently disabling it is to use a tuner. Care to share a link for one of these? I just use the button to turn it off when I start the truck. It's as automatic as putting on my seat belt now.

As far as voiding your warranty, if in doubt remove it before taking it in. Especially if you can remove it without leaving any signs that it was ever there. Even if you don't remove it, the dealer still has to prove it was the device that caused the failure before they can deny the repair under warranty (See Magnuson Moss act). As far as I know, there is nothing you can add to your truck that voids the entire warranty on the vehicle.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I installed an Autostop Eliminator in both of our 2020’s. I can tell you it does the job very well with no issues. When I took one of them in for an oil change, I asked the Service Manager about it as he plugged his Bluetooth dongle into the truck.

He could see a code which indicated “Stop Start ditch malfunction” and has seen this before which is the tip off there is an eliminator installed. I asked if that was a problem and his comment was “Not really unless it shorts something out they can attribute to the Autostop Eliminator” and then the repairs are on my dime.

He also said they are becoming quite common and the prevalent brand is Autostop Eliminator. I asked if he has ever seen an issue with them and his response was no.

As for the two we have, they have worked well for over seven months and zero issues. Installation was less than five minutes and is as simple as plugging network cables into your laptop. No tools required, no panels to remove, very easy to install and very easy to remove if you want to do so before taking your truck to the dealer.

I helped a buddy install one in his F-150 and zero issues thus far too.

The beauty of the Autostop Eliminator is you can press the Autostart button on the dash to disable the stop/start feature or press the button again and it will reactivate the stop/start feature. It doesn't permanently deactivate it as you can always turn it back on again...the difference is it won't come back on with every start cycle...instead it only comes on when you decide you want it active.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Foxdodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi etorque
Thanks for the advice. The Auto Stop Eliminator is the one I have. Guess I might as well try it

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What am I missing here? Why don't you simply use the Auto Stop/Start off button?
It resets to off every time the truck is turned off, the Auto-Stop eliminator/Tazer makes it so you don't have to push the button every time

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
It's called set it and forget it...period. And when I'm in the city in heavy stop/go traffic, then I can set it to on when I need it. Do you want all time 4wd or prefer to select when you need it? Same principle.

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's called set it and forget it...period. And when I'm in the city in heavy stop/go traffic, then I can set it to on when I need it. Do you want all time 4wd or prefer to select when you need it? Same principle.
It's also the same principle that you have to press a button each time to start the truck or even to turn on/off the radio, or to set the temperature. It's doesn't seem like a lot of trouble. Not worth risking voiding the warranty IMO.

To each his own.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
It's also the same principle that you have to press a button each time to start the truck or even to turn on/off the radio, or to set the temperature. It's doesn't seem like a lot of trouble. Not worth risking voiding the warranty IMO.

To each his own.
To each their own.

I've never purchased any of my vehicles, including the two 2020s I own, based upon the warranty. If that was the case, I wouldn't purchase the vehicle. In fact, I'd prefer they discount the price of the vehicle and warranty it for 90 days which after that I'll take care of any issue. Far less hassles for both parties involved and at least I purchase it knowing the manufacture will not do anything to stand behind their warranty - pretty much what occurs now.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
They are easily removeable if you need to take them in for warranty work. If we worried too much about warranty, we wouldn't ever mod anything LOL

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about in the Ram but in the JGC there's a red jumper wire plugged into one of the battery terminals that you can unplug that permanently disables the start/stop that only throws a real quick(like 3 seconds) "start/stop system disabled" message when you first crank the vehicle. It does not show up at all on the vehicle health report on the Uconnect app. The yellow A symbol does stay illuminated in the cluster but probably would stay on anyway if you turned it off by using said button anyway.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
My wife's Highlander has Stop/ Start. It only works if you press the brake hard enough. We both drive sanely, and don't 'mash the binders' when coming to a stop. Ease up on the pedal as you stop moving, and apply just enough pressure to hold the vehicle. This keeps it from shutting off the motor (in the Highlander anyway) without ever touching any button. It also reduces any brake pad transfer to the rotors...what causes shimmy when applying brakes...not rotor warp. Rotor Warp is an old wife's tale. Rotors are too thick to actually warp. I would think the system on yours works the same? Hope this helps someone.

shaginwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
On my F150, you could disable S/S in the software. On my new Jeep wrangler you just unplug a hood closed sensor, and S/S is gone.

OP
OP
F

Foxdodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi etorque
Could you guys tell me what would be a good LED third light bulb for a 2011 Ram 1500? I’m not sure the correct number size the bulb is.