Start/ stop system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southern Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m glad my truck doesn’t have it. I didn’t like having to keep pressing the button every time to turn it off in my previous truck (F-150).

mmcbeat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took delivery of a 2021 Ram Lone Star with 5.7 hemi today. I was extremely pleased to learn that the truck does not have ESS. I hated it on two previous family vehicles, a 2019 Jeep Wrangler and a 2017 Chevy Traverse. The Chevy was the worst, there was no provision to turn it off.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The yellow A symbol does stay illuminated in the cluster but probably would stay on anyway if you turned it off by using said button anyway.
Actually there is no light that illuminates in the gauge cluster. Just the LED on the button under the shift knob illuminates. Having the light on in the cluster would bug me almost as much as the stop/start feature itself.

VStan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Tazer DT Beta version 8.0.6 does more than just ESS (apparently 8.0.5 would occasionally drop the last setting of S/S in memory). I bought the unit primarily to match my tires to the speedo. So I set the following as well.

Tire size changed from 31 to 34.
TPMS changed to 45PSI and warning at 40PSI.
3rd brake light pulse set to 4 and medium speed.

A big deal for me is the firmware can be upgraded via my iMac.

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Does anyone know when they removed the LED from the stop/start switch? My 2020 Laramie had the LED but my 2021 Limited doesn't have it.

bolivarshagnasty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
E torque 5.7
Does anyone know when they removed the LED from the stop/start switch? My 2020 Laramie had the LED but my 2021 Limited doesn't have it.
My 2021 Longhorn does not have an indicator. Recently installed the AutoStopEliminator and am very pleased with it. The truck will warm in the cab when the engine is stopped. The AC is not as efficient and quickly loses air temp. That is the main reason I installed.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Quoting myself here. This is apparently a known issue for 2021 models. There actually is a light, but it doesn't come on when you disable S/S. Now this is one "issue" I actually like though. Since installing autostop eliminator, with this issue I don't have that light shining at me all the time.

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
Quoting myself here. This is apparently a known issue for 2021 models. There actually is a light, but it doesn't come on when you disable S/S. Now this is one "issue" I actually like though. Since installing autostop eliminator, with this issue I don't have that light shining at me all the time.

Mine doesn't even work half the time, my truck has barely over 400 miles on it. It doesn't bother me at all, but I did notice the air losing its cool when you're stopped too long. I took my foot off the brake and immediately applied it back on and the engine stayed on. There's definitely no LED light when you turn it off though, I noticed that as well. Thought it was just me when I was reading through this thread.

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
At my dad's company, OBDGenie we sell a gypsy that you plug behind your radio that will disable it. If you go to the dealership, just simply remove it before you go.

All you have to do is remove the radio to install it, and then again to uninstall it to go to the dealer before removing the radio again to re-install it after leaving the dealer? Sounds like a piece of cake :D

I think he'd be better off pressing the button or letting off the brake for a split second, but that's just my opinion.

hwyhound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Found this on another forum, hope it helps someone.

"Yes the programming change was applied to this issue. My light NOW illuminates. Description from my receipt listed below:

"3827 service bulletin 18-048-21 18-19-06-EB Module, Powertrain Control (PCM) Reprogram current part number 68502742AC to targeted part number 68502742AD"

bolivarshagnasty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
E torque 5.7
I have had the AutoStopEliminator installed for 6 weeks or so and I love it. Easy install and you can push the button if you want to use start stop function but it defaults to start stop off. This was an ill conceived idea from our engineering team at Dodge.

Apologies for the elderly induced double post. :)

67440dodge

Military
Reaction score
Old post I know... but funny, my '19 Bighorn doesn't have Auto Stop/Start. Sits there and idles in traffic and no button to disable it. Only thing I can figure is it may have been an early build, so it wasn't included?

I just saw a interior shot of my '22 Tradesman I got on order, and there is the button... I wish Ram offered the A.S.S. delete option on their trucks from the factory like Ford does..

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Old post I know... but funny, my '19 Bighorn doesn't have Auto Stop/Start. Sits there and idles in traffic and no button to disable it. Only thing I can figure is it may have been an early build, so it wasn't included?

I just saw a interior shot of my '22 Tradesman I got on order, and there is the button... I wish Ram offered the A.S.S. delete option on their trucks from the factory like Ford does..

The stop/start comes on engines that have etorque, which I'm assuming your 19 didn't have. And apparently your new ram does have it, as otherwise you can still opt for the standard non etorque hemi without the stop/start.

67440dodge

Military
Reaction score
Yea, the '19 is non- E torque so that makes sense.... new one isn't either, the interior shot I saw was a marketing pic so assumed it was the same. We shall see when it shows up I guess

Guy lIPSKY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI etorque
I purchased a new 2021 Ram in February. Can I put one of the start/stop eliminators on it without voiding my warranty? Hope so. Hate that start/ stop system!!!
there's a button to turn it off by the shift selector with an A on it

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea, the '19 is non- E torque so that makes sense.... new one isn't either, the interior shot I saw was a marketing pic so assumed it was the same. We shall see when it shows up I guess

Probably just a generic interior shot you saw then, if you didn't order etorque with this new one then it shouldn't have start/stop either.

Jeremy1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It's called set it and forget it...period. And when I'm in the city in heavy stop/go traffic, then I can set it to on when I need it. Do you want all time 4wd or prefer to select when you need it? Same principle.
Except in your example, one will always save you gas and the other will always use more gas lol.