Start-stop technology

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Really?! So it is all in the seat belt switch and not the door switch.
What activates the "Auto-Park" is when the door is opened with the truck in gear and the seatbelt is not buckled.
You could sit on the seatbelt with it buckled too.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
They added the auto-park feature to the '19 PW? Because I can move my '17 all day long, unbuckled, with the door open. It ******* about it, but I can do it.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They added the auto-park feature to the '19 PW? Because I can move my '17 all day long, unbuckled, with the door open. It ******* about it, but I can do it.

Yes. Implemented with the new tranny, as it has the twist knob.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You can bypass the Autopark by putting the truck on 4low. Easy to do, handy for things like connecting a trailer.

On the F150's there is a button on the dash to turn off the stop-start, but you have to hit it every time you start the truck. Not sure about the Rams.

My biggest issue with this feature is that the oil pressure drops to zero when the engine stops. Then, when the light turns green, you pull away as the engine just begins to run. I have to imagine the oil pressure is low for a couple of moments.

But - this technology has been around for a while now, from lots of manufacturers, and I have to say that I have not heard much about engine failures blamed on this feature, so who knows...

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
You can bypass the Autopark by putting the truck on 4low. Easy to do, handy for things like connecting a trailer.

On the F150's there is a button on the dash to turn off the stop-start, but you have to hit it every time you start the truck. Not sure about the Rams.

My biggest issue with this feature is that the oil pressure drops to zero when the engine stops. Then, when the light turns green, you pull away as the engine just begins to run. I have to imagine the oil pressure is low for a couple of moments.

But - this technology has been around for a while now, from lots of manufacturers, and I have to say that I have not heard much about engine failures blamed on this feature, so who knows...

For the F-150 there's a stop start eliminator product...
https://www.autostopeliminator.com/

For the Ram 1/2 ton there's no product, but my guess is that by disconnecting the hood open sensor it may turn it off. Worked on my Dad's Jeep.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
For the Ram 1/2 ton there's no product, but my guess is that by disconnecting the hood open sensor it may turn it off. Worked on my Dad's Jeep.
If the BCM can't sense the hood is closed, the remote start doesn't work. The vehicles with the Auto Start/Stop usually have a button to press to cancel the feature, you just have to remember to push it every time.

boxofrokx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a loaner with the 3.6l and s/s. There was a button to deactivate it but it was off wwhen the ac was on max and full speed fan. I'm not a fan of s/s

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yes. Implemented with the new tranny, as it has the twist knob.

That is...incredibly lame. Because there have been many times in other trucks when I needed to be able to move the truck with the door open.

It's less of an issue with this truck because it has the backup camera and the front/rear park sensors, but still...I'll stick with my shift lever.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Hate to tell you but the gear shifter (for the transfer case) that controls the four low and four high is electronic though it feels like it is manual. On my TJ when I snatch the lever into 4, it was immediate. Now it takes a few seconds and a few indications on the dash before it is engaged.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yeah I figured that out the first time I shifted it with the door open. I heard that servo whine and went 'hmmmm.'

They did a good job making it 'feel' like it's actually shifting it though.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Yeah I figured that out the first time I shifted it with the door open. I heard that servo whine and went 'hmmmm.'

They did a good job making it 'feel' like it's actually shifting it though.
Lol yes, I was juked on the test drive too.