Started a case with RAM today - lemon law??

Do your heated seats stay on

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If my truck was at the dealer for ANY reason that long, I’d be looking into lemon law as well. I don’t give a **** what it would be for, could be an inoperable dome light that they can’t fix. Point is a paid a lot of good hard earned money for my vehicles and I expect them to work right. Period.

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Armory 18x9 +12mm
Cooper Stt MAXX LT295/70R18

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 5W-30
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If my truck was at the dealer for ANY reason that long, I’d be looking into lemon law as well. I don’t give a **** what it would be for, could be an inoperable dome light that they can’t fix. Point is a paid a lot of good hard earned money for my vehicles and I expect them to work right. Period.

Exactly.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
So for the member that was curious after 520 posts could this realy be a valid lemon buy back. At first thought and first post, others scratched their heads and wondered how a seat temperature function could qualify for a buy back. Assumption; well the manufacture must have considered that and designed into the seat a high temp circuit cut off with a line of code as a safety precaution. Not one tech or knowledgeable person has been able to say, that is fact. But lets say it is. Does the safety feature work "as good" as the non functioning as designed heat switch. Maybe the same company designed both functions. Compare this potential safety issue to a manifold exhaust leak. First off regardless of what State it is, NHTSA, EPA etc consider exhaust leaks a potential safety issue. Is it possible for exhaust fumes to enter the cab from leaking manifolds. Lets say, unlikely. But a dealer tells you to only set the AC/heat on internal circulation. Keep the windows cracked and just to be safe. Put a battery operated monoxide sensor on the dash. In both situations, even if it is not a confirmed factual safety issue, both are conditions that are defects. Unacceptable. Not torching just making the point.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Damn Right, it’s my money paying for a truck they guarantee to be 100%. When it’s not, they provide a warranty for 3 yrs 36 k miles to make it 100% right. When they can’t, they can eat the truck and give me my money back. REGARDLESS of what is broken or not working 100%

werdna1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
To the OP i did run my passenger heated seat for approx 50 mins today on my way to camp where it stayed the high setting and few minutes after getting to camp i used my infrared thermometer and the seat reading was 98.5 degrees on the seat section. So clearly yours are turning off for some strange reason or mine are working improperly and inshould have them serviced lol

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To the OP i did run my passenger heated seat for approx 50 mins today on my way to camp where it stayed the high setting and few minutes after getting to camp i used my infrared thermometer and the seat reading was 98.5 degrees on the seat section. So clearly yours are turning off for some strange reason or mine are working improperly and inshould have them serviced lol
At this point I really don't know what's normal and what's not since I've been told mine are in fact acting normal?? Lol

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Since when is a heated seat that doesn't get warm, "working as designef."
Apparently just in the 2018 models. But again, my complaint isn't that they don't get very warm. It's that they just won't stay on. The driver seat seems to be back to working now. Not real sure why it malfunctioned the other day but maybe it's on its way to having the same issue as my passenger side.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Apparently just in the 2018 models. But again, my complaint isn't that they don't get very warm. It's that they just won't stay on. The driver seat seems to be back to working now. Not real sure why it malfunctioned the other day but maybe it's on its way to having the same issue as my passenger side.

Stands to reason both seats should work the same. Sounds like you have proof there is an issue.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

The service manual says to make sure to turn on the seat heater, sit in the seat and move around while troubleshooting. Reason being, if one or more of the element wires is partially broken, it might "rest" in a spot where the heater works fine, but once there is weight on it or weight is shifted to just the right position, it causes a short that shuts down the system.

Logic would say that if you just keep testing the seat without weight on it, it should just work fine. But if there is a partial short somewhere, it could be left in a bad (or good, even) position from the last time you sat in the seat and exited out.

The service manual has the allowed resistance values for the heat pads, those could and should have been measured by the dealer with no special tools at all, just an off-the-shelf multimeter would do. They could just put the leads where they needed to be on the heated seat module connector, then sat in the seat and shifted their weight to see if the resistance changes, indicating a possible issue.

GLucas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 HEMI
Got this in the mail today in response to my Arbitration Hearing next week. FCA’s official response states they designed the heated seated not to work as described in the owners manual and as promised at time of purchase.

I hope I have some common sense 3rd party ppl on my side for my documentation Arbitration Hearing next week...

Unbelievable!

20ed672068f22669eaccd8fb060af825.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

werdna1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
WOW!!! Good luck. I wish i were closer to you so that i could assist in proving that not all 18s work in this manner.

Whether it is "a convenience feature" or not you still paid for that feature to work properly and it is not.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Reading through their explanation, it looks like @GLucas shot himself in the foot by saying other RAMs he tested also do the same thing. I know the intention was to point out they are ALL not working correctly, but I love how FCA flipped it around in their favor.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Reading through their explanation, it looks like @GLucas shot himself in the foot by saying other RAMs he tested also do the same thing. I know the intention was to point out they are ALL not working correctly, but I love how FCA flipped it around in their favor.

Not really, all he has to do is have the arbitrator sit in the seat that's not working and turn the heated seat on. Don't see how he can loose. Would imagine he'll get something.

wutech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But also note that FCA states and points out that it is a convenience feature and that if there is an issue it can simple be turned off. Meaning they don’t give a rats ass that you wanted the feature and purchased because of said feature that they want to say just go without.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
FCA apparently thinks the lift kit did it. What a (excuse me) chicken **** way to preface the document. Hey FCA......My '13 Durango heated seats stayed "on", my '15 Ram 1500 Sport ventilated/heated seats stayed "on", and my '17 Laramie 1500 ventilated/heated seats stay "on". That's how the item works "properly".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atomota